• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Inflatable helmet / Airbag helmet

Ypedal said:
Total condom condemnation lol

Yep. And though it is largely an academic issue for this old bag of bones, if someone comes up with a better answer than condoms to the skin-on-skin makin whoopie issue... sign me up as test pilot :wink:

Anything that promotes more people to wear safety gear is a good thing. I think this has huge potential.

Some very sobering statistics on car bike collisions. http://bicycleuniverse.info/transpo/almanac-safety.html
I am considering the invisible bike helmet, neck protection is the major reason. Any Physiatrists or Biomedical Engineers out there? Does the Invisible helmet provide better protection against neck injuries???
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/invisible-bike-helmet-protects-your-brain-and-your/nbtkF/
http://vimeo.com/43038579

When it deploys, it will keep me from licking myself.
viovet_1268298608_33.jpg

Another observation: that huge hunk of material around the neck can get pretty hot when riding a bike. Try the concept by wrapping a towel around your neck and riding.
Finally, the alleged "deployment system" has to be foolproof.....or it may snap parts of your neck you don't want to get snapped!!
Rapid deployments can be violent deployments :shock:

I remember one day in Middle School, I saw the aftermath of an accident near my house from the schoolbus, a motorcycle smashed up against a small station wagon. Years later working as a GS mechanic, it turns out it was the father of one of the other mechanics. His dad turned out onto the street and WOT, 50 yards ahead of him was an old lady making a left turn and didn't see him. He was wearing a helmet, but it didn't help him as he laid the bike down and smashed headfirst into the wheel/wheel well.

HELMETS DO NOT PROTECT YOUR FROM CRASHES, only protection from falls or ultra low speed impacts; in addition to wind, rain and debris. The only invisible helmet worthy of selling is the idea of proactively avoiding crashes at all costs.

The only way to avoid all crashes is to take away the possibility of human error.

Den Hövding airbag cykelhjälm i nyheterna ... igen: "Inflatable air bag bike helmets could help reduce impact during collisions"
http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/infl...elp-reduce-impact-during-collisions-1.3102281

Researchers at Stanford University have been investigating the effectiveness of a new type of bike helmet which uses an inflatable airbag to protect against concussion.

Using drop tests -- the typical federal tests used to assess bicycle helmets -- the team found that their air bag helmet could reduce head accelerations by five to six times more than a traditional helmet.

Camarillo believes that the main reason for the improved protection is the large size of the air bag helmet compared to traditional foam bike helmets, meaning it is softer and cushions the impact more.

However, there is a possible downside. The researchers pre-inflated the air bag helmet to the maximum amount before each drop in order to achieve these results, with researcher Mehmet Kurt commenting that, "As our paper suggests, although air bag helmets have the potential to reduce the acceleration levels that you experience during a bicycle accident, it also suggests that the initial pressure that your air bag helmet has is very critical in reducing these acceleration levels."

If the helmet doesn't fill up with the maximum amount of air the results could be very different, and rather than offer more protection it could actually cause the head to hit the ground with much more force than with a traditional foam helmet.

In current versions of the air bag helmet, a chemical process triggers expansion, but this doesn't seem to guarantee maximum air pressure.

The standard bicycle helmet test used in the study also only reveals a helmet's ability to reduce the risk of skull fracture and head injury, and does not directly relate to the risk for concussion. However Camarillo commented that with the positive results and large advantage of the air bag helmet seen in this research, there is a good chance the helmet would also reduce the risk of concussion when compared to a foam helmet.

Back