• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Is my new battery bad? (14s charging up to 56.6 volts)

ido

1 mW
I recently purchased a 52v Samsung 26f 10-ah battery pack (http://lunacycle.com/batteries/packs/52v-samsung-26f-10-ah/) and a 52v 3amp Ebike Lithium Smart Charger (http://lunacycle.com/chargers/52v-3amp-ebike-lithium-smart-charger/). The charger outputs 58.8 volts, but my battery pack only charges up to 56.6 volts. Is this an indication that my battery pack is bad? I'm new to ebikes and I don't want to bug LunaCycle if the pack is behaving normally.

I don't look at this very often because I'd never use a battery pack made out of batteries designed for low current 18650 flashlights, but after reading the specs, I can say that most everything there is BS. The 26f battery is rated for a 2C max discharge (5.2A). that means a 14s4p (10.4ah) pack is rated for 20.8A max. You'd have to pull over 100A out of the pack to get 6000W. And even if the batteries supported 100A, the bms is limited to an 80A burst. Oh, yeah, the pack should charge to 58.8V, assuming everything is working properly. With only 56.6V, I'd assume it needs a lot more time on the charger to balance.
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Samsung ICR18650-26F 2600mAh (Pink) UK.html

FWIW, my Luna battery, 52V, 10 ah, constructed with 26f, AFAIR, charges to 58.8 volts and powers YES 48V, 1000w and 750w BBS02 systems superbly. Also, while I try not to bug Eric, his customer service response and knowledge are exceptional.

First thing to do is see what the chargers actual output is. Then call Luna Cycle.

It could be any number of things, but the more likely one is a wonky charger that is an easy fix. So look at that first.

Or maybe second, after confirming your voltmeter is reading accurately. But low battery on voltmeters tends to read high.

Thanks everyone for your help. My voltage readings are definitely accurate (I tested the voltage using two different meters, one of which is a high end Fluke meter). I'll contact Luna Cycle and see what they say.

Do you have his new 70,90and 100% state of charge charger ? It may be set at 90% ?
First get a volt meter ( m.m. ) and check the charger voltage. Post here.
Maybe you got the 48v charger for 13s ?
How long did leave on charger after green light came ? Can take many hours for bms to fill the battery. Many hours.

999zip999 said:
Do you have his new 70,90and 100% state of charge charger ? It may be set at 90% ?
How long did leave on charger after green light came ? Can take many hours for bms to fill the battery. Many hours.
I purchased the 52v 3amp charger (http://lunacycle.com/chargers/52v-3amp-ebike-lithium-smart-charger/). The charger output voltage is 58.8 v.

No instructions came with the charger, but the website says "It is a 3amp charger which will charge a 10ah battery in less than 4 hours. When the battery reaches close to full the charger automatically slows down and shuts itself off when it reaches a maximum of 58.8v." I leave my pack connected to the charger until the LED turns green and the fan turns off.

HI this is Eric from luna cycles and I will answer best i can. Thanks so much for your courtesy of trying not to contact us...but you can email me direct at eric at electricbike.com. It sounds to me this is the charger but you could try someting....

Give the battery a few full charge and discharge cycles and see if it improves. Also leave it plugged in overnight once it completes its charge cycle to make sure battery is balanced.

I dont even have to ask but its probably the 3 amp charger.

We were plaqued with a lot of problems with the 3 amp charger we sale....we sale it at a very cheap price for what it is ($35) but i have decided to stop carrying it once we sale out.

I think i am going to offer all our customers that they can trade their 3 amp in on a luna charger and get a full 35 dollar credit. I am really proud we are bringing new and improved products to market so fast but i feel bad for my customers who bougtht our older stuff and will try my best to take care of them.

in the future i am going to try to push all our customers to go with the luna charger as our only offering on those soft case packs. The luna charger was built to specs from one of the most reputable ebike charging companies in china. It has toggles for charging at 3 or 5 amps and also to 80,90 and 100 percent to prolong battery life. We also upgraded key components such as the fan to make it more robust and quiet. http://lunacycle.com/charger/

Its more expensive but its worth every penny...and i think chargers and battery packs are two things ebike customers should not skimp on.

I figure I will make my customers pay a little more ( i hate doing that) but get a qualtiy charger that i really believe in and will perform consistently. Its a pain in the ass but to sale those 3 amp chargers we must test each one before sending out (a lesson we learned the hard way).

As for the batteries and rated amps the 26f 10amps bms will allow it to put out 50amps which is more than the cells are rated for. The name brand companies are conservative in their amp numbers...the 25r for example we have found will put out 100amps not the 20amps its rated for.

That being said the cells get warm and then hot if they are pushed like this for long. Unless you are climbing a mountain you should not be using 50amps for very long. This will decrease the life expectancy if you run your 26f pack too hot too often.
Also if someone is extremeley hard on that 26f, our packs have a quality bms with temperature protection and if the pack gets too hot it will shut down. I am very proud of the BMS we use....it costs us a lot extra but its worth it. Our bms is made to our specs as well.

I really recommend anyone needing high amps to go with the 25r cell...its really amazing what even a 10ah 25r pack will put out...it can put out 50amps continously and only get warm. On such a a small pack that is incredible.

Unfortunately there is a nation wide shortage right now on 25r cells which is causing the price to go up on authentics. Threre are plenty of fakes around for cheap...so buyers beware. I am going to go heavy on panasonic based packs in 2016.

ido said:
999zip999 said:
I purchased the 52v 3amp charger (http://lunacycle.com/chargers/52v-3amp-ebike-lithium-smart-charger/). The charger output voltage is 58.8 v.

No instructions came with the charger, but the website says "It is a 3amp charger which will charge a 10ah battery in less than 4 hours. When the battery reaches close to full the charger automatically slows down and shuts itself off when it reaches a maximum of 58.8v." I leave my pack connected to the charger until the LED turns green and the fan turns off.

Leave it plugged in for a few hours after this....so it can balance charge.

Green Machine said:
HI this is Eric from luna cycles and I will answer best i can. Thanks so much for your courtesy of trying not to contact us...but you can email me direct at eric at electricbike.com. It sounds to me this is the charger but you could try someting....
Hi Eric. Thank you so much for posting! Yes, I have the 3 amp charger. I will leave the pack on the charger overnight, as suggested, and see if it helps. I don't mind upgrading to a better charger if it's charger issue.

Back