Did I kill my 60v controller with a new 60v 150Ah lithium battery?

talltrees

100 µW
I have a three wheeled chinese electric foodtruck - like a Piaggio Ape.

I was excited to upgrade range by adding a 60v 150AH Lithium battery pack from 60V lead acid. Custom made by Smart Propel but based on this 100Ah version. Charged the pack and installed it. It charged up to 73v.

Managed to drive around - noticed more power - and after a few miles, stopped, turned it off, and then when I turned it back on nothing.

No dash readout, no lights and of course the motor will not turn on. Nothing seemingly attached to the control unit will turn on now.

Removed the new battery and put back the 60v lead acid. Same thing - nothing happens when the ignition is turned on.

I can confirm that there’s power coming from the battery as a separate motor system that powers the roof lifter still works.

The controller is in chinese but the translated text reads:
Voltage: 72V / 60V
Under pressure(?): 52V/42V
Electric current: 90A
Power: 2500W
IMG_0924.jpeg

The motor is a peak 1500w motor

It was suspicious to me that the 60v rated new lithium battery was at 73v when charged - so my guess is that it might have fried the controller?

The new 60v battery supposedly does have a BMS. Any insights appreciated!

60v is the average voltage of the battery, when it is at about half charge. Same for lithium or lead.

Lead would be 5 "12v" batteries in series, each of which is 13.6-14.4v fully charged. So they charge normally to 13.6 x 5 = 68v, or 14.4 x 5 = 72v. To know what yours charged to, check the charger that came with the trike to find out what it's termination voltage is; it should be marked on it's label.

Lithium is 16 Li-Ion 3.7v cells or 19 LiFePO4 (LFP) 3.2v cells in series, which each charge to 4.2v (Li-Ion) or 3.65v (LFP). So these packs charge normally to 4.2 x 16 = 67.2v or 3.65 x 19 = 69.35v. To know what your charge to, check the new charger that came with the new pack to find out what it's termination voltage is; it should be marked on it's label.

BTW, if you're using the lead charger for the lithium battery, it doesn't work the right way to safely charge lithium (it never fully "turns off" like the Li charger should) and may be a higher charge voltage than it should use, and I would recommend using the Li-specific charger for it instead.

THe controller is rated for a 72v pack, which is at least 84v fully charged, so the 60v pack shoudln't have damaged it.

SInce nothing on the keyswitched circuit works (your other device is on a separate circuit?), it is likely that you simply blew a fuse or popped a circuit breaker, somewhere between the battery and the rest of the system, and that the device that still works is an add-on to the system that was incorrectly wired on the battery side of the fuse/breaker instead of the system-side.

Thanks for this reply. The manufacturer tells me the lithium battery is 17 in series.

Are there typically fuses in the controllers? I looked at the wiring and did not see a fuse anywhere else.

There is a big circuit breaker at the beginning - that needs to be on for the system to work - but it was on and reset.

One strange thing happened - I did accidentally turn the circuit breaker off while the key was in the on position. Maybe this confused or fried the controller?

I can’t see a way to reset the controller or otherwise get it to function again.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks for this reply. The manufacturer tells me the lithium battery is 17 in series.
17S?
I was excited to upgrade range by adding a 60v 150AH Lithium battery pack from 60V lead acid. Custom made by Smart Propel but based on this 100Ah version. Charged the pack and installed it. It charged up to 73v.

The linked pack is built with LifeP04 cells. 17S of LifeP04 cells fully charged is 3.65 x 17 = 62.05V. If you're charging the pack to 73V, then it sounds like you're using the wrong charger.

Yes 17s. Sorry, It’s might actually lithium not LiFePo. Does that make a difference? Custom Moped Scooter/ Motorcycle Battery 60V 100Ah Lithium Battery Pack - SmartPropel Lithium Battery

This is from the mfctr:
it is normal that the battery voltage is higher than 70V. The 60V battery is by 17 series nominal 3.6V battery assemble, so that voltage is 17*3.6=61.2V , the cell voltage range is 3.0V-4.2V(when full charged), so that full charge voltage is 4.2*17=71.4V,so that voltage higher than 70V is normal, and if the lcd show 73v is not a problem and you can continue to use dear

I’m using the charger they sent:IMG_0925.jpeg

Yes 17s. Sorry, It’s might actually lithium not LiFePo. Does that make a difference?
Only makes a difference if you want accurate feedback. When you test drove the foodtruck, was it normal riding, or testing up hills, riding fast, etc?
Even though the controller appears to be rated for 60V and 90A, it also is rated for 2500W (continuous), which assuming 60V would only be 42A. So, if you to pull >42A continuously, you may have fried it.

It was driving with more power and speed with the newer battery - which I chalked up to it having more voltage. But I’m a noob here.

Last edited:
Update: the truck turns on again! (And the older batteries are back in place). I’m guessing something tripped the controller - either it running with too much power from the new battery (overheating?) or the strange shut of sequence where I accidentally flipped the breaker off while the ignition was on.

In either case after it sitting overnight it seems to have reset and now it works again.

Any recommendations for how to pick the proper controller for the newer batter would be appreciated. The newer battery has an 80A (max) BMS is supposed to be rated at 60v and the motor is 1500W / 60v. I see lots of controllers on Amazon / Ebay but am not sure which would pair best.

So appreciate the help here!
😺

Odd, since the one you link that yours is supposed to be based on is 19s LiFePO4.

If yours is only 17s LFP, then it would be much lower voltage, not even 60v nominal, but only about 54v nominal, and only 62v at full charge.

It would not be 73v full, and if it is charging to that then it is being severely overcharged to 4.3v per cell, which will degrade the cells, rapidly aging the pack, and potentially damaging them in a way that could lead to a fire.

But the below gives very different specifications than the linked pack (you use the same link as you originally did, which is for an LFP or LiFePO4 pack, which is *not* what the "mfctr" quote says the pack is built from). So the battery builder did not build you anything like what you linked, so if you intended to buy what was linked but in a larger capacity, they did not do what you asked them to, and sold you a totally different battery.

Yes 17s. Sorry, It’s might actually lithium not LiFePo. Does that make a difference? Custom Moped Scooter/ Motorcycle Battery 60V 100Ah Lithium Battery Pack - SmartPropel Lithium Battery

This is from the mfctr:
it is normal that the battery voltage is higher than 70V. The 60V battery is by 17 series nominal 3.6V battery assemble, so that voltage is 17*3.6=61.2V , the cell voltage range is 3.0V-4.2V(when full charged), so that full charge voltage is 4.2*17=71.4V,so that voltage higher than 70V is normal, and if the lcd show 73v is not a problem and you can continue to use dear

Even 71.4v could actually be a problem for a 17s pack that is made of nominally 3.6v cells, since 3.6v Li-Ion typically charges to 4.1v not 4.2v, sometimes 4.15v. Charging such cells to 4.2v is overcharging and will age them faster, degrading them and damaging them.

But 73v on them is definitely overcharging them, as that puts them at just about 4.3v per cell, which is too high even for 4.2v full cells.

If it has a working balancing BMS, it should also not remain at 73v, as the BMS should drain all the cells down to their max charge level (whatever it is programmed for; presumably 4.2v in this case since the pack builder says they are 4.2v full type cells (which I suspect is not correct, and are actually 4.1v full types)).

I recommend borrowing a second multimeter and making sure it's battery is new and good (a bad battery can cause a wrong reading), then using it to verify the voltages you see on the new battery pack and everywhere else you are measuring voltages.

If it still shows 73v on the battery, and you are using the charger it came with, they sent you the wrong charger or the wrong battery or both, *and* the BMS is probably not working or not correctly programmed or does not have a balancing function so it cannot fix an overcharged cell.

Are there typically fuses in the controllers? I looked at the wiring and did not see a fuse anywhere else.
It won't be in the controller if your lights and such don't work. It has to be somewhere between the battery and the rest of the system including the DC-DC for the lights.

You may wish to draw yourself up a complete wiring diagram of every wire and every connection and device on the trike for your reference.

It may also help those helping you identify problems either at present or in future.

Since the motor is only 1500w, you might want to be careful about using an even bigger controller--the one you have is already rated to allow more power to the motor than it was designed for, so an even bigger one creates even more possibility for overheating.

FWIW, the lead batteries could probably provide more than 80A. They would probably sag in voltage under load doing that, but unlike the lithium battery wouldn't just turn off when that is exceeded. (that is what the 80A BMS does--turns off if 80A is exceeded, or if voltage is too high, or too low).

Regarding controller current vs battery current.

The battery being *able* to supply more current doesn't mean anything if the controller current limit is only 42A--it means it will only draw 42A and then limit at that.

So having an 80A BMS just means the battery can easily handle the 42A current the controller will draw at maximum load.

Getting a bigger controller only increases the stress on the battery and motor (assuming that the load you place on the motor via your riding style and riding conditions could draw more total power than what the controller can supply at present), and doesn't change the stress the controller is under.

*However*...your controller has a *90A* current limit, but your BMS is only designed for 80A. This means that whenever you draw that 90A, your BMS should shut down, turning power to the entire system off, until the BMS is reset. (that reset may be a timer internally, or a load monitor, so it resets on it's own once load is removed, or it may be manual either by reset button or by connecting the charger to it. Some BMS actually require connecting them to software on a computer or BT to an app on a phone to force a reset, which makes them very hard to use in a real world application).

What this means is that your battery is not actually good enough for your controller, if your riding conditions and style ever use the full capabilities of the controller, because it will then draw 90A, and the BMS will have to turn off to protect the battery against overcurrent.

If the BMS isn't correctly designed (not uncommon) it can actually even damage the BMS from a sequence of events where the switches it uses (FETs) overheat and fail, sometimes leaving the BMS stuck on so it can no longer prevent overcharge, overdischarge, or over current, etc. Sometimes it leaves it nonfunctional, so there is no output from the battery.

The order in which to pick parts is that you pick the motor to match the load your system will see, so that it can easily do the job you need the vehicle to do for you.

Then you pick a controller to support that load and run that motor appropriately for your usage.

Then you pick a battery that can supply the voltage and current that those two things need to do the job they have to do for you, and has enough capacity to do that job for the length of time / distance you need to do the job for.

So...you don't need to upgrade the controller to match the battery. ;)

Last edited:
The order in which to pick parts is that you pick the motor to match the load your system will see, so that it can easily do the job you need the vehicle to do for you.

Then you pick a controller to support that load and run that motor appropriately for your usage.

Then you pick a battery that can supply the voltage and current that those two things need to do the job they have to do for you, and has enough capacity to do that job for the length of time / distance you need to do the job for.

Hoo boy. Well unfortunately it looks like I have gone about this backwards. 😅

You say I don’t need to change the controller to match the battery - but it seems like I may have to as they are mismatched (90A controller vs 80A Battery BMS). Or?

Since I have this very expensive battery and a 1500w motor any advising on how to pick a controller that would work best / better would be appreciated.

For context, I did run this battery choice by the vehicle and battery manufacturers in China and they both gave the thumbs up FWIW. Lol.

Also more context: this is a very heavy food cart trike. About 1700 lbs. I’m not looking to go fast, I was just trying to get more range with the upgraded battery.

Do you think my current controller is fine?

And yeah, the motor is probably way underpowered. Maybe I can upgrade to 2500W with this current controller? Honestly after some initial research I was lost trying to understand which motor to choose / gearing. Not many people have or work on these kind of vehicles!

I appreciate all your thoughts. 😁

Here it is for reference. It’s a coffee truck!
IMG_0458.jpeg
So...you don't need to upgrade the controller to match the battery. ;)

You say I don’t need to change the controller to match the battery - but it seems like I may have to as they are mismatched (90A controller vs 80A Battery BMS). Or?

Since I have this very expensive battery and a 1500w motor any advising on how to pick a controller that would work best / better would be appreciated.
Well, it depends on whether or not your controller needs more power than the battery can provide in order to do the job it does for you.

Below are a lot of thoughts that I am too tired to properly consolidate, and I apologize for making it sound more complicated than it is....

Knowing why the system stopped working would help, but unfortunately it's one of those situations where we just can't know unless it fails again and you can trace down why. (if you can draw yourself a complete wiring diagram it will help you trace down any problems you have now or in future).

If it was the battery shutting down it's output because it was overloaded, then you either need a better battery (higher current capability), or a "smaller" controller (lower current demand).

If you change the controller to match the battery's limitation, but the job the trike has to do for you needs more power than a smaller controller could provide, then it won't do the job as well as it would if it just had a battery able to handle the job.

If the controller is programmable, you might be able to just lower it's current limit to what the battery is meant to support. But you'd have to get any software to do that from the controller manufacturer, or from the trike manufacturer, as it will be specific to the controller brand and model, and probably also require a cable to a computer to access. (sometimes these things are accessible via a display that's wired to the controller as part of the system, but may need a password to access, and usualy need a manual to explain the settings as they typically don't have descriptions in the menus, just cryptic abbreviations or parameter numbers and values).

But before any of that: Did the system work fine for your usage and needs, other than range, before the battery swap? How long has been in use in the original configuration?

If so, you don't really need to change anything at all, other than perhaps toning down the current from the controller.

*Or*

if the BMS does shut down the system because of overload (you'll see this during acceleration, on hills, against headwinds, whenever the load on the motor is highest), you may be able to just change out the BMS (or reprogram it if it has that ability),

*if*

the cells can handle the higher load safely. To know that for sure, you have to find out which specific cells they used, and find a datasheet on them from the cell manufacturer.

It is likely that they could handle at least short periods of the higher current, and can probably handle it long term, because most EV-sized cells can continuously handle at least 1C, or 1 x the capacity of the pack, as Amps. Meaning, a 150Ah pack can usually handle at least 150A. Most can handle at least 2C, or 300A in this case. Even if it only does 300A momentarily, and 150A continuously, it is much more than you need.

It is probably only the BMS that is the limiting factor; it's probably just not physically capable of more because of the FETs in it, so it would have a current limit to protect them.

If the battery voltage doesn't sag much even when under the highest load (up to the point the BMS shuts off), the cells can handle the current.

If the voltage sags a lot the higher the load is, they may not be able to handle it, but it depends on how far they sag.

For context, I did run this battery choice by the vehicle and battery manufacturers in China and they both gave the thumbs up FWIW. Lol.
Unfortunately it's not uncommon for the people that "make" these things to not actually know anything about what they are building / selling, because they may not actually be the ones that designed them, and may not know how this stuff works--they may just build it and sell it.

If they did understand how these work, they would not have approved a battery only capable of 80A for a controller that could need to draw 90A.

(They also probably shouldn't use a "1500w" motor for a "2500w" controller that has voltage and current ratings that actually indicate 6500w capability...but it depends on the design intent for the system...if it was only intended for flat roads with no wind and slow speeds it would be ok, but if it has frequent accelerations from a stop or has to climb hills it could take so much power it could overheat the motor if it's really only able to handle that rated power. (this sort of thing with ratings vs actual ability is not a clear-cut exact thing, because not everyone uses the same method for determining the ratings, and some are not even "real" ratings, but just marketing numbers that sound good to them...and you can't know which are, arent', etc).

(They also would not have provided a charger that is that far over the max charging voltage the pack should ever see. But that's something else you still need to recheck, becuase if it does actually reach 73v, you don't want to keep using a charger that is too high a voltage for the pack; there are various failure modes of BMS along with cell aging that could chain in ways that allow significant overcharging of one or more cells.

And they should be concerned that the charger voltage reads that high, and not just blow off the possibility it could be a real reading with the possible consequences)

I’m not looking to go fast, I was just trying to get more range with the upgraded battery.
Well, you probably will, given that while Lithium (used within it's limits) provides it's full capacity for a good long while,
lead doesn't ever even give but maybe half of its' nameplate capacity in this type of usage, and the Ah you had in lead is probably less than what this pack advertises itself as.

Do you think my current controller is fine?

And yeah, the motor is probably way underpowered. Maybe I can upgrade to 2500W with this current controller? Honestly after some initial research I was lost trying to understand which motor to choose / gearing. Not many people have or work on these kind of vehicles!
If the system does what you need it to do, and doesn't give you problems, then you don't need to change anything.

If it does give you problems, then the most detailed description of those you can give, along with what you were doing and under what driving conditions, leading up to it and during the problem, will help us help you find out why

Also more context: this is a very heavy food cart trike. About 1700 lbs. .

Here it is for reference. It’s a coffee truck!
It's slightly bigger than my SB Cruiser heavy-cargo trike. ;)
1690347573770.png1690347558130.png1690346663528.png1690346163988.png

I appreciate the tree-planting (I have a big yard full of them I've been growing the last couple of decades, but this year's summer is so hot for so long they're not doing very well and are taking some severe pruning).

Where do yours get planted?

Thanks so much again for your thoughtful replies. They are really helping

That’s a cool cargo bike! 🤩

A few few new developments:
There’s another component that might have given me the trouble - a DC/AC 12V converter that is next to the controller. Thanks to your guidance I’m guessing that somehow tripped as the lights, dash, etc would jot respond in addition to the controller. Currently trying to understand why it might have tripped.
IMG_0961.jpeg

Going to work on a wiring diagram as you advised - and this converter will certainly be on there.

I was wrong about the battery charging to 73v - I was taking that from the dash display, which I understand now is not accurate. The onboard battery display says 71.4 when fully charged - matching the charger rating.

Thanks again!

Thanks so much again for your thoughtful replies. They are really helping

That’s a cool cargo bike!
Thanks...someday I'd like to build a new version with all the things I learned from this one, but it would be expensive (a few thousand dollars) because I would like to use all-new better-quality materials in it's construction, and have some parts made for me (lasercut, watercut, cnc, etc) to save me a LOT of work and headaches)

There’s another component that might have given me the trouble - a DC/AC 12V converter that is next to the controller.

Just to make sure we're thinking of the same thing, those are more commonly called DC-DC (DC-AC are *usually* used to get wall-level power (110VAC) out of a lower voltage DC (like the boxes you plug into a cigarette lighter socket in a car, that have a wall-outlet or few on them).

BTW, if that is actually a true 12v output (verifiable with a voltmeter), you can get better lighting / etc performance by changing it to an automotive-12v unit that outputs 13.6-14.4v (which is what automotive lights/etc are actually designed to run on). It's almost certain that everything on the 12v circuit is really built to run on the slightly higher voltage, but is something to verify if you go this route.

Thanks to your guidance I’m guessing that somehow tripped as the lights, dash, etc would jot respond in addition to the controller. Currently trying to understand why it might have tripped.
Normally both of those are wired to whatever contactor, relay, etc that is controlled via the keyswitch, so normally if one doesn't get power, neihter does the other.

If the keyswitch *also* controls your roof motor, meaning that doesn't work when the key is off, then it is likely they all run off the same source and should all fail at the same time.

Since the roof motor does work when the other two don't, it isn't run off the same power source. It can't run off the 12v source, as the (12v?) lights didn't work but it did.

This is unlikely simply because the original batteries were lead, whcih don't have separate charge/discharge connections, but:

If the roof motor is meant to run right off battery voltage, it could be wired to the battery pre-contactor/keyswitch/etc., and if the battery has a charge port that's wired to the charger output separately from the discharge port that runs to your controller/dc-dc/etc, then the roof motor wired to that would still work even if the battery's BMS shut off it's output due to some limit in the battery being exceeded (because the charge port can't prevent power from coming out of the battery, only going into it).

If it *is* wired that way, that should be corrected so it goes to the discharge port instead, so the battery can't be damaged if it *has* tried to shut off all discharge.

Finding out exactly where the roof motor is wired into the rest of the trike would be very helpful in finding the source of the problem before it happens again and strands you somewhere. ;)

I was wrong about the battery charging to 73v - I was taking that from the dash display, which I understand now is not accurate. The onboard battery display says 71.4 when fully charged - matching the charger rating.
Tha'ts good. Depending on the display, it might be calibratable. If not, and you find it necessary, you can replace it with a better power meter that actually measures Wh used, which along with voltage is a much better indicator of remaining power than just voltage alone, if that matters. Some of the meters (like the Cycle Analyst from ebikes.ca) can also provide Wh/mile which helps you know how much range you can get out of the remaining Wh.

If the keyswitch *also* controls your roof motor, meaning that doesn't work when the key is off, then it is likely they all run off the same source and should all fail at the same time.

Since the roof motor does work when the other two don't, it isn't run off the same power source. It can't run off the 12v source, as the (12v?) lights didn't work but it did.

This is unlikely simply because the original batteries were lead, whcih don't have separate charge/discharge connections, but:

If the roof motor is meant to run right off battery voltage, it could be wired to the battery pre-contactor/keyswitch/etc., and if the battery has a charge port that's wired to the charger output separately from the discharge port that runs to your controller/dc-dc/etc, then the roof motor wired to that would still work even if the battery's BMS shut off it's output due to some limit in the battery being exceeded (because the charge port can't prevent power from coming out of the battery, only going into it).

If it *is* wired that way, that should be corrected so it goes to the discharge port instead, so the battery can't be damaged if it *has* tried to shut off all discharge.

Finding out exactly where the roof motor is wired into the rest of the trike would be very helpful in finding the source of the problem before it happens again and strands you somewhere. ;)
Yes, the roof motor is wired separately from the keyswitch. It is spliced into the power coming off the main positive terminal and the the return to the negative.

IMG_0923.jpeg

Unfortunately as of yesterday the roof motor now is not working (but the rest of the system is). Nothing unusual happened this time. Same old lead batteries, but went to operate it with the control button and it did not respond. And the red light was on.

I don’t suspect you recognize this type of 4 motor controller and small DC power unit (?).

IMG_1027.jpeg
IMG_1029.jpeg
IMG_1028.jpeg

It used to have a green light and now has a red light and green light. Have tried pressing the reset button on the roof lifting motor control unit, got a blinking green light, but the red light won’t go away.

Have also tried unplugging it from power and letting it “drain” overnight. No luck.

Thinking I may need to replace all my components from China with new ones so I know how they work.

Also, do you like coffee? I’d like to send you some for your help here! LMK

Attachments

• IMG_1028.jpeg
    IMG_1028.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Yes, the roof motor is wired separately from the keyswitch. It is spliced into the power coming off the main positive terminal and the the return to the negative.

At least that does explain why it worked when the rest of the system didn't.

FWIW, if it's always connected, then it is always draining your battery even when not in use. Not much, but there will always be some parasitic drain from the DC-DC just sitting there running producing voltage even if the controller isn't using it. Could be just a few mA, or a few hundred.

Depending on the size of the battery pack, that could be significant over time if this has to sit parked unused but not charging. For instance, a 100mA drain means 100mA per hour for 24 hours in a day uses up 2.4Ah (2400mAh) per day. If the batteries are say, 40Ah, then in a week they'll be almost half drained. (7days x 2.4Ah = 16.8Ah)

Are you still using only the original SLA batteries rather than the new Li pack? (does it work with the new Li pack, or does that still not work?).

(if it still doesn't work, we can troubleshoot that, but my guess is the BMS itself)

Unfortunately as of yesterday the roof motor now is not working (but the rest of the system is). Nothing unusual happened this time. Same old lead batteries, but went to operate it with the control button and it did not respond. And the red light was on.

I don’t suspect you recognize this type of 4 motor controller and small DC power unit (?).
No; I posted some tests and thoughts in your other thread about that here:

Thinking I may need to replace all my components from China with new ones so I know how they work.
If you can get manuals or at least names / part numbers of the items used on the trike from the trike builders, it might give you enough info about them to be able to troubleshoot things later as problems arise. Or at least give you a better idea of what to look for to replace them with. :)

Also, do you like coffee? I’d like to send you some for your help here! LMK
I appreciate that...though I've little experience with "real" coffees. I've only really used the instant stuff (mostly Maxwell house international for a couple of flavors, primarily the french vanilla but they seem to no longer make the decaf except in artificial sweetener versions that I cannot have). I more typically drink Red Rose's Irish Breakfast tea, or their Bold (used to prefer Bigelow's Constant Comment, which is still good, but the IB is even better).

I had a dc-dc converter that looked exactly like this one for my 12V lights, but i’ve seen the same casing on units with different output voltage.
IMG_0603.jpeg
does the roof motor have limit switches? If so, might be worth to check if they’re working.

Back