JP spot welder

Hey,

Can you put me down for a DIY kit shipped to the US? Can't wait to build a battery pack for my longboard and this will be immensely helpful.

Jakov, I finally set up the welder and tried a couple test welds on old cells. I'm very impressed with the quality. Thanks for providing this kit as it allows us non-technical people to finally build a proper battery.

mrzed said:
Jakov, I finally set up the welder and tried a couple test welds on old cells. I'm very impressed with the quality. Thanks for providing this kit as it allows us non-technical people to finally build a proper battery.

That's really great, I'm glad you like it! And thanks :wink:

emepror said:
Hey,

Can you put me down for a DIY kit shipped to the US? Can't wait to build a battery pack for my longboard and this will be immensely helpful.

Sure, no problem! :)

18650dude said:
Jakov,

Any update on the copper electrode replacements? Mine will need replacing soon.

Well they said that they should be done this week.

So, I ordered one a while back for a production worker and it arrived safe and sound :D

Just gonna update with some information that he's found, which probably won't apply to anyone.

He's put it through 2 life cycles now. Seems like the mosfets are the only things that die after around ~380000 welds. I ordered replacements from digikey, an easy fix, and he's up and working again. I like the design JP, good job!

The welder is hooked up to a 20kW power supply running 15VDC. He's welding stuff like 1mm steel and 0.4mm nickel on full, it's doing pretty good. Beats having a modified Miller welder at ~$2800 and that only lasts half a year.

I'm sure this isn't what your welder was designed for, but now you know some good numbers for lifespan since my buddy did the lifetime testing for you =P

I'll let you know if anything else comes up and when it finally quits, I'll send it back to you :lol:

Yeah :mrgreen: I like the stuff that lasts a long time :D
Can't wait to have my DIY kit welder at home and start building 18650 battery packs ..... I think the first one will be tested in the RC department ..... he he u know what I mean :shock:

Riba, that is some good promo info that you should use on the first page, first post.

380,000 welds, is huge! I doubt the average to mid-level enthusiast would ever come close to that number.

To me that is outstanding, but perhaps I am a little reserved as the number 4 (at the time) is reserved. Vague I know.
But perhaps contex and clue, for me, 1550.

redmonkey01 said:
The welder is hooked up to a 20kW power supply running 15VDC.
Woah. What does a power supply look like that can pump out 20k watts at 15VDC? Doesn't sound cheap...

I take it there is no realistic upper limit on the amount of Amps the welder can handle?

My 12V van battery is rated to do 1000CCA but I was worried it might be too big. Is there any chance it can harm or reduce the lifespan of the battery?

dfr said:
I take it there is no realistic upper limit on the amount of Amps the welder can handle?

My 12V van battery is rated to do 1000CCA but I was worried it might be too big. Is there any chance it can harm or reduce the lifespan of the battery?

That battery should be fine, and I don't think that welder harms the battery. About my amps I'm not exactly sure, but it's probably around 2500 A. Just be aware that 1000 CCA battery can actually give much more amps for bursts in milliseconds.

Back