Just ordered six Trojan 1275's for $180 ea

Puppyjump

100 W
I've driven my ZAP for about 4500 miles. The six 12-A 144AH Discovers have degraded to the point where I need to replace them. At this point, after I drive 9 miles 4 of them drop to about 6V under a load of more than 50A. When the cold weather arrives, this will get even worse.

My 7th add-on battery, a Trojan 1275 for my 72V to 84V conversion done 1000 miles ago is working fine. I just ordered six more Trojans which hopefully will give me a range of 20 miles although I seldom drive more than 10 miles before recharging. My daily weekday commute is about 9 miles each way, and I recharge at work.
Note that my ZAP PK truck was almost a year old when I bought it from the dealer, so even though it only had 50 miles on it, there is no telling how the Discovers were treated in that year before I bought the car. It's possible brand new Discovers can last longer than my 4500 miles if they are treated properly, but I am getting Trojans due to their lower cost and 150AH rating (of course, now I will need to add water periodically given the 1275's are floodies)

I wonder how many miles I will get out of a Trojan 1275 pack, 150AH/84V assuming I drive 10 miles at a time, then recharging.

I'd love to get a set of Thunderskys someday, but it would seem a waste to put those into a ZAP when they could instead go into a more drivable name-brand conversion car, like a small Toyota pickup donor, etc., but the Thunderskys are pricey, and I don't have the energy to do a full-on ICE-EV conversion.

Puppyjump said:
jondoh said:
Thundersky may not be as pricey as you think. I paid about $3000 for 72 v x 100 ah worth (about 7.2 ~ 7.7 kwh).

Go to http://www.evcomponents.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=34

wow that's not bad at all. OK well I will start saving my pennies for the the date my Trojans wear out.

Hello Puppyjump.

I also have one of those trucks in the pipeline, and want to thank you for all the good info you gave on this vehicle. I'm now aware of what to do to do to get the performance I need, and the extras to get everything working as you did. I also do appliance repair as someone else here on this forum, and I'm planing on just using it for near local calls, I may be able to do opportunity charging while at the customers call. I have three full size Ford vans at the moment and need to downsize a bit to reduce my overhead.

Btw its a 2008 model, and I'm not sure if the dealer has had in on charge for the time in showroom. So I may one day have to change the batteries, but I'm certain if I do it will be lithiums.

And again thanks for all the good info, I want to give credit where credit is due, including all here who have such good info on the topic of ev's, and I will revisit your post to remind me how to do it all....lol

Roy

Roy Von Rogers said:
Puppyjump said:
jondoh said:
Thundersky may not be as pricey as you think. I paid about $3000 for 72 v x 100 ah worth (about 7.2 ~ 7.7 kwh).

Go to http://www.evcomponents.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=34

wow that's not bad at all. OK well I will start saving my pennies for the the date my Trojans wear out.

Hello Puppyjump.

I also have one of those trucks in the pipeline, and want to thank you for all the good info you gave on this vehicle. I'm now aware of what to do to do to get the performance I need, and the extras to get everything working as you did. I also do appliance repair as someone else here on this forum, and I'm planing on just using it for near local calls, I may be able to do opportunity charging while at the customers call. I have three full size Ford vans at the moment and need to downsize a bit to reduce my overhead.

Btw its a 2008 model, and I'm not sure if the dealer has had in on charge for the time in showroom. So I may one day have to change the batteries, but I'm certain if I do it will be lithiums.

And again thanks for all the good info, I want to give credit where credit is due, including all here who have such good info on the topic of ev's, and I will revisit your post to remind me how to do it all....lol

Roy
Remember, I have several posts on youtube to show you what i've done with my ZAP.

Here's one of them, and from there you can see the rest from my user's page...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xthOeDv7URg&feature=channel_page

Roy Von Rogers said:
Yea I have seen all your videos, also do you have a yahoo account on the ev forum, someone in there has a very similar name as yours.

Roy
Yes, I am Puppybite on the Yahoo forum didicated to zap vehicles

Back