Kelly controller hook up?

slayer7

1 mW
Hello! I'm curious is to where i connect my -Neg ground battery wire? from what i understand i connect my +pos battery to the top side (in pic) of the 200A fuse, Do i connect Neg ground battery wire to the bottom side of the 200A fuse (in pic)?? or some where else? Thanks Great forum!

Attachments

• 2KEB48221.pdf
    42.7 KB · Views: 50
Please be careful ! The negative pole must be connected directly to the controller ! Never put any fuse / contactor / switch in between !
The manual clearly states that.
The controller will blow, if connection to Minus pole of battery is lost / cut !

I have this same controller. This may be a dumb question, but if it's a 100a max controller, shouldn't each controller have its own 100amp inline fuse on the Positive main lead?

Good question, i'm very new to playin' around with these, i got no answer. i finally got the wheels goin' the right way, now i have to mount them somewhere without the huge metal plate and black rad.

slayer7 said:
Good question, i'm very new to playin' around with these, i got no answer. i finally got the wheels goin' the right way, now i have to mount them somewhere without the huge metal plate and black rad.

I use a Kelly brushless controller, A 100 amp controller is rated 100 amps peak phase current not battery current. But a full on and at high RPM's the battery current could be up to 1.4 times phase current. At low RPM's battery current will be less, much less than the peak phase current.

Hope this helps

Mark

markcycle said:
I use a Kelly brushless controller, A 100 amp controller is rated 100 amps peak phase current not battery current. But a full on and at high RPM's the battery current could be up to 1.4 times phase current. At low RPM's battery current will be less, much less than the peak phase current.

Seems that it would have a lower starting torque than a battery current limited controller!?

slayer7 said:

I just asked Steven at Kelly Controllers.

He said a 100a inline fuse is ok. But, because the controller draws less than the top surge current of 100a, you can actually use a 60-80amp inline fuse for each controller just to be on the safe side. Think about it, the controller is designed to operate at 50a constant, so it never draws much more than that to protect itself and the battery. The surge current up to 100a, I believe comes from capacitors storing it in the controller itself. So, to save your battery, any fuse under 100a each is actually preferable.

I will probably use two 60-80amp fuses. I'll get a standard automobile holder that can use either one, and start with a 60amp fuse. If it keeps blowing the fuse, I'll upgrade it to 80amp.

The7 said:
markcycle said:

Seems that it would have a lower starting torque than a battery current limited controller!?

That's true so I got a larger unit 6KW I pull 80 amps battery current. You can see the battery current ramp up as speed increases. The design has one plus. The X5 is very inefficient at low RPM's so limiting the battery current at low speed helps prevent the motor from overheating in theory. At high RPM the motor is 85% inefficient and can handle more current. The battery limiting controller puts a lot of current into the motor which just creates huge amount of heat. I use a boost motor design to help boost the low RPM torque, it works great and keeps the motor from overheating. You can see the boost motor under the seat.

Mark

Attachments

• DSC_0156_S.jpg
    DSC_0156_S.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,190
Back