Why doesn't a multimeter short circuit a battery even though it is a connected circuit?

Hiya, just a really small little easy question ☺️

I was just wondering how come connecting the pos and neg terminals of a battery with just a random wire will cause it to explode,

but when I connect a multimeter it doesn't explode?

Even though I my head I am seeing it as the same thing because isn't it just about connecting a circuit?

Thanks I know its prob rly simple I was just wondering! 🙏

A multimeter draws a very tiny load with another component which it then measures. A random metal wire takes all the current a battery can output and turns it into heat until the wire melts or battery bursts. I don’t really know how a multimeter measured voltage either but it’s different from a short circuit.

Hiya, just a really small little easy question ☺️

I was just wondering how come connecting the pos and neg terminals of a battery with just a random wire will cause it to explode,

Even though I my head I am seeing it as the same thing because isn't it just about connecting a circuit?

Thanks I know its prob rly simple I was just wondering! 🙏
If you attach it in resistance mode, it will explode (the fuse). In voltage mode there isn't a low impedance path to ground, just enough to measure the voltage.

If you attach it in resistance mode, it will explode (the fuse). In voltage mode there isn't a low impedance path to ground, just enough to measure the voltage.
Right ok.

How come when I make a circuit with my controller it doesn't short circuit? What's the difference between a regular complete circuit and a short circuit? Is it that there must be some outlet for the energy to go into, i.e. a hub motor?

Thx

Right ok.

How come when I make a circuit with my controller it doesn't short circuit? What's the difference between a regular complete circuit and a short circuit? Is it that there must be some outlet for the energy to go into, i.e. a hub motor?

Thx

Closed circuit supplies current to the load..

Short circuit makes the battery discharge max current within an instant and then flow back into the battery/power source.

Closed circuit supplies current to the load..

Short circuit makes the battery discharge max current within an instant and then flow back into the battery/power source.
Thanks that makes sense I think

What about when I connect a controller to my battery but I haven't connected the hub motor yet? What is considered the load, and why doesn't the controller explode like a short circuit?

Thx

Well, first, you shouldn't be connecting the positive and negative of any battery together. If you're the type that likes to do this sort of thing, I advise against working with electrical equipment, especially batteries and other power sources, and let someone else do this for you. :(

Next, you would need to specify the setting and connection used on the multimeter for us to tell you what behavior to expect.

The easiest way to do that is to take a picture of the meter's face showing where the wires are plugged in and what ti's set to, and specify or show with another picture where the wires are plugged into on the battery.

Then tell us what you are trying to measure, so we can help you figure out how to do that if you aren't already doing it correctly.

Well, first, you shouldn't be connecting the positive and negative of any battery together. If you're the type that likes to do this sort of thing, I advise against working with electrical equipment, especially batteries and other power sources, and let someone else do this for you. :(
Why would you say this when I've already shown in the OP of this thread that I know that's dangerous

I'm just an enthusiastic new person, I find this stuff really interesting and fun

The whole reason I'm here is because I want to learn

I don't know if I feel comfortable asking for help anymore

It has nothing to do with ground... it is measuring the difference in potential between two points. Voltage = potential difference. The high impedance of the meter is what stops large amounts of current flowing.

Why does everyone have this fascination with "ground"... A battery powered device that sits on rubber tyres has no reference to ground at all.

It has nothing to do with ground... it is measuring the difference in potential between two points. Voltage = potential difference. The high impedance of the meter is what stops large amounts of current flowing.

Why does everyone have this fascination with "ground"... A battery powered device that sits on rubber tyres has no reference to ground at all.
In low voltage DC systems, ground or GND is the customary term for battery negative or the bus that connects to it. It's whatever serves as zero volts in the circuit. It's not a fascination; it's a technical term with a technical definition.

Back