KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Piece together motor mounts and controller mounts, starting to look like a V6 :twisted:

getting there slowly :roll:

Cheers Kiwi

Attachments

• 1246.jpg
    1246.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 2,544
  • 1236.jpg
    1236.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 2,544
Looks robust, and those Curtis controllers are pretty bullet-proof, I bet it runs for a long time. Cable/terminate it larger than strictly necessary to function and you will gain a bit of margin for a long service life.

kiwiev said:
Nice also have a line of LG pouch cells coming online good for 700Amps :twisted: 40 AH

Cheers Kiwi

Nice! Which ones? Ex Chevy Volt packs?

liveforphysics said:
Looks robust, and those Curtis controllers are pretty bullet-proof, I bet it runs for a long time. Cable/terminate it larger than strictly necessary to function and you will gain a bit of margin for a long service life.

Will do we have done a few conversions now and as long as you cool the controllers they are bomb proof and easy to program.
Cheers Kiwi

The aesthetics are awesome and the quality looks too good for a ute. Enjoy the skids :D
Would be interesting to hear the view of ICE enthusiast when seeing such a familiar V layout.

Nah just curious about whats out there. Guess we'll wait for the spec sheet but I'm keen to see what energy density they are hitting.

jonescg said:
Nah just curious about whats out there. Guess we'll wait for the spec sheet but I'm keen to see what energy density they are hitting.

It is there new chemistry cell will find out more info I know we can pull 1300 Amps out of a 24 Kwh light weight pack.
Cheers Kiwi

Big day today :D

Went to fit motor mount after I had painted it and it had sucked in a wee bit from welding braces on inside :twisted: . A 4 ton jack pushed it apart a few mm to slip over motor.

I'm pretty pleased how it turned out and looks a bit like a V6. :)

Cheers Kiwi

Attachments

• IMG_2958.JPG
    IMG_2958.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 2,512
  • IMG_2959.JPG
    IMG_2959.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 2,512
  • IMG_2960.JPG
    IMG_2960.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 2,512
  • IMG_2961.JPG
    IMG_2961.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,512
Also welded in front cross member to accepted front of battery boxes.

Then put a big afternoon on the tilt tub actuator, I had to brace the tub up from the pivot hinges and weld in a cross brace to mount one end of actuator, which involved a few up and downs with the endless chain to get actuator in the right spot.

Because of the near horizon position of actuator when tub is down it struggles to raise at the start, not sure wither to buy another actuator or mount in 2 gas struts to take a bit of weight at the start :?:

Cheers Kiwi

Attachments

• IMG_2962.JPG
    IMG_2962.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 2,511
  • IMG_2963.JPG
    IMG_2963.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 2,511
Finished off the day bolting in power steering pump on new fabricated mounts and laying out the two 2.5 Kw chargers and 1000w DC-DC 12 volt battery charger. :D

Cheers Kiwi

Attachments

• IMG_2964.JPG
    IMG_2964.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 2,511
I swear you build ev's faster than I build electric bikes! Nice progress, very, very tidy. Looking forward to seeing an EV shop open... 8)

Nice job Kiwi!

Lurkin said:
I swear you build ev's faster than I build electric bikes! Nice progress, very, very tidy. Looking forward to seeing an EV shop open... 8)

Thanks mate :)
A EV shop would great one day if only the components would come down in price to make it affordable for everyone. :D

Thanks for all the kind comments from
Tom
Iiveforphisics
Lurkin
And CD

Cheers Kiwi

An electric muscletruck... What a thing of beauty!

The front brackets and fittings combined with the placement of the components is well done. When someone asks you to pop the hood open, they probably won't forget seeing that.

The Toecutter said:
An electric muscletruck... What a thing of beauty!

The front brackets and fittings combined with the placement of the components is well done. When someone asks you to pop the hood open, they probably won't forget seeing that.

WOW thanks TC that means a lot :D

Cheers Kiwi

Had 2 weeks away with a big job finally got back into the shed for a day. :D

Jobs done:
Mount cross members between chassis rails to mount Vac pump and in the future an AC compressor.
Mount Vac tank this should save the pump kicking in and out so much.
Fabricate a frame to hold controller radiator, fans and coolant tank.
Mount EV west coolant pump.

Its all the little things that soak up your time on jobs like this most just nutting out where to place things so that they are accessible and functional.

So most of the components are mounted in engine bay, need to tackle under the dash mount heater element and gauges.

Cheers Kiwi

Also on Instagram if people want to follow #evtorque.

Attachments

• IMG_3054.JPG
    IMG_3054.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 2,351
  • IMG_3055.JPG
    IMG_3055.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 2,351
Got some more work done on the Bug, rammed 2 25mm conduct thru the transmission tunnel this was not to hard take front bumper off and there is a cover plate then knock in 2 lengths to the back of linkage cover.
Feed in to 50mm2 cables and Bobs your uncle :D .

Painted and mounted front battery box looks great and clean and neat the plan is to cover the box with a old suitcase lid.

Cheers Kiwi

Attachments

• IMG_3059.JPG
    IMG_3059.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 2,318
  • IMG_3058.JPG
    IMG_3058.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 2,318
A bit of progress on the ute today, I have been putting this job off because I knew it would be a PITA :)

A few hours pulling the dash apart I really hope I know how to put it all back :D . Got the heater core out and cut a hole in it to hold the ceramic heater core from Amazon I had to go 110 volt because I'm running 150 volt.
Then held my tongue out for an hour setting up 2 micro switches to switch 2 relays and turn on the 2 elements. The micro switches are controlled by the dash heat control lever.

Cheers Kiwi

Attachments

• IMG_3065.JPG
    IMG_3065.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 2,298
  • IMG_3069.JPG
    IMG_3069.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 2,298
  • IMG_3072.JPG
    IMG_3072.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 2,298
kiwiev said:
Big day today :D
I'm pretty pleased how it turned out and looks a bit like a V6. :) Cheers Kiwi
Great work there kiwi looks like your being pulled in all directions between projects , love the look of the ute e-v6, makes me want a e-van imagine that, with a false floor in the back plenty of room for batts :D .
One thing youve come a long way from doing your first ebike thats for sure mate congrats.

Attachments

• IMG_2959.JPG
    IMG_2959.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 2,291
Back