KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Ohbse said:
Boxster would be cool, but as you say - not a cheap process.

Personally I would do an MX5/Miata. Cheap as chips, parts are cheap, huge aftermarket for everything you could want and performance potential even higher than the porsche option. I'm thinking about buying a gasser one to hoon around in for the summer, not hard to pick one up for $1500-2000 for an NA around here.

This was exactly the plan when I was last in NZ (before I decided to leave). Wheelbase and layout was about as close to an ae86 I could find without flat peak tax. Get a dodgy manifold and low pressure turbo and wait for the high compression engine to pop! Definitely been done before with good results.. I was thinking of coming back for a wedding in February... maybe I should buy one for the trip...

Thanks CD

I could run a Warp 9 at 2000amps at 150 volts that would give me 300Kw :D :D just spoke to the supplier.

Just have to get the battery juice anyone know of a Aussie A-123 pouch supplier???

Cheers Kiwi

kiwiev said:
EV West has already done a twin 11" warp seat up with great results.
Yep, I have come across this car, some nice work. However it's an E36 not the true classic E46 which is regarded by many to be the best M3 so far.

E46%20M3.jpg

I haven't found an E46 M3 EV project in my searches, so possibly it hasn't been done???
Anyway, whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be a first class job.
Cheers,
Matt

Lurkin said:
Ohbse said:
Boxster would be cool, but as you say - not a cheap process.

Personally I would do an MX5/Miata. Cheap as chips, parts are cheap, huge aftermarket for everything you could want and performance potential even higher than the porsche option. I'm thinking about buying a gasser one to hoon around in for the summer, not hard to pick one up for $1500-2000 for an NA around here.

This was exactly the plan when I was last in NZ (before I decided to leave). Wheelbase and layout was about as close to an ae86 I could find without flat peak tax. Get a dodgy manifold and low pressure turbo and wait for the high compression engine to pop! Definitely been done before with good results.. I was thinking of coming back for a wedding in February... maybe I should buy one for the trip...

Yes cars are diff cheaper back home :D Good old Jap imports

Cheers Kiwi

1000w said:
kiwiev said:
EV West has already done a twin 11" warp seat up with great results.
Yep, I have come across this car, some nice work. However it's an E36 not the true classic E46 which is regarded by many to be the best M3 so far.

E46%20M3.jpg

I haven't found an E46 M3 EV project in my searches, so possibly it hasn't been done???
Anyway, whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be a first class job.
Cheers,
Matt

Is that your car Matt? It does look nice mate, I'm really undecided ATM

I rung the Warp motor supplier I can run 170 volts and 2000Amps thru a warp 9 that's 455Hp :mrgreen: and over 400 ft/lb of torque

Anyone heard of doing this? would like to know if its feasible.

Cheers Kiwi

Cheers Kiwi

kiwiev said:
Is that your car Matt? It does look nice mate, I'm really undecided ATM

It was, and I miss it a lot. Kids!! Lucky I love them heaps.
Those are some wicked numbers on the Warp, I would love a set up like that.

Some found via ES threads
http://www.evdrive.com/prototypes/the-e-care46-evdrive-train-for-bmw-325i/

http://www.evalbum.com/3499

(couldnt' find good info on the others yet)

kiwiev said:
I rung the Warp motor supplier I can run 170 volts and 2000Amps thru a warp 9 that's 455Hp :mrgreen: and over 400 ft/lb of torque

Anyone heard of doing this? would like to know if its feasible.
I don't know if it's feasible, but that's some serious power for a 65Kg Motor! I'm pretty sure the Warp motors are brushed, which is how they manage such huge amps, however keep in mind that they need servicing (replacement brushes, etc) and pushing such huge amps through a small motor like that will degrade the motor pretty quick.
I reckon you would be better off with a Warp 11 if your considering them. It wouldn't add much more weight over the Warp 9, would give you more torque per amp, and last longer at high power.

amberwolf said:
http://www.evalbum.com/3499
That beamer is nice...see the vid they made showing them kicking some gas a$$.
[youtube]iOo1TnWKVCg[/youtube]

Conrad if your still undecided, you should definitely consider a BMW. IMO they look better than most others and I don't believe the older models are too pricey in Aus.

Cheers

Hmm. I don't want to sound like a pessimist, but it seems odd the supplier would recommend a motor the size of a Warp 9 was good for 2kA. If that's a recommended peak rating then it implies a warranty, or was it a case of "well, if you're drag racing then it's been known to take up to 2kA"? Just wondering on the context because it sounds like you want a semi-reliable road car?

Punx0r said:
Hmm. I don't want to sound like a pessimist, but it seems odd the supplier would recommend a motor the size of a Warp 9 was good for 2kA. If that's a recommended peak rating then it implies a warranty, or was it a case of "well, if you're drag racing then it's been known to take up to 2kA"? Just wondering on the context because it sounds like you want a semi-reliable road car?
My thoughts also...yeah it can take it, but for how long. The Netgain website has a car weight range recommendation for each motor...I would stick to that if you want it to last.

On another note...what ever you build, you should take it up to the snow and do like the guy's who built that M3.
[youtube]YTlyqNLe2Jo[/youtube]

Cheers

So I spoke to a USA supplier he has done a lot of conversions and strongly recommends for road use AC so my next thought is two HPEV AC 50 or %! coupled together this will give me 240lb/ft of torque he is running this in a van weighing 3200Lb and it hauls Ass.

I would like ES members thoughts on this :idea: :idea: :idea:

Cheers Kiwi

Seems like it depends on your priorities..and budget !
DC is cheap(er) and simpler than AC..by a fair amount !, and will give high torque and strong performance.
Lots of performance mods and high power controllers available.
AC is more expensive, complex, but with possibly a wider rpm range, and better efficiency with minimal maintenance ( no brushes).
Performance upgrades are limited and expensive.
Either way, your biggest issue, and cost item, will still be the battery pack .

Given the funds,( :cry: ) , parts availability,( :cry: ), and opportunity :)cry: ),.... I would put a Tesla floor pan, pack, and drive train, under a '60's Combi ! 8)

Yeah, I would echo Hillhaters comments...I don't know a whole lot, but everything I've seen/read points to the main reason DC motors are so popular for car conversions boils down to cost and simplicity more than anything.
A/C motors might be superior, but the added cost and complexity involved usually dissuades most.

That being said...you've already got the experience with the A/C motor in your other car so you've got that advantage and might make it worth it for you to go that route again.

Here's a crazy thought...it would take 2 controllers, but could you couple a smaller A/C and DC motor together? They would obviously require careful RPM matching, but you would get the great low down torque from the DC, and great continued RPM pull from the A/C.
I could see a Netgain TransWarP 7, which maxes out at 7800RPM, working really well with the HPEVS AC-50 which maxes out at 7000RPM. At 144 Volts, 350A to the A/C, 1000A to the D/C you would get amazing performance. The hard part would be interfacing the controllers.

Cheers

Thanks CD and Hillhater

Nice thought CD ACDC combo 8)

price comparison in AUD$

Price for DC package:

Warp 11" HV $4,840.00
Zilla controller $7,370.00
contactors $500.00

Total $12,710

Price for AC package

2 x HPEV AC 50 $13,200
Controllers included
Contactors included

So I don't really see much price difference :D

Plus as CD said i have already done an AC didn't find it hard I have a Curtis programmer and my Sonic car seams reliable.

Or am I missing something in my pricing

Cheers Kiwi

Attachments

• twin Ac50.jpg
    twin Ac50.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 2,787
  • Twin AC 51 a.jpg
    Twin AC 51 a.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 2,787
Hillhater said:
I think you have priced up a mismatch of DC kit there...
That Zilla price must be for the top spec Z2, which is rated for 650kW output !.....which is rather more than your AC equivalent I suspect.?

That was from EV Works but they state that a warp 11 is only rated at 88hp continuous the AC 50 x 2 is a 100 hp continuous but I agree you can get 650kw if you have the battery power.
I wish netgain would give output power at higher voltage.

Cheers Kiwi

My point was , you don't need a $7k , 640 kW controller , for a 1-200kW system.
..unless you plan on some future upgrades ?.
You could use a much cheaper , 300kW controller with that motor , and still have plenty of future potential.
.. But, I am not against the AC options either !....(..a salvaged Tesla power train would be a good match in a Boxter )

Hillhater said:
My point was , you don't need a $7k , 640 kW controller , for a 1-200kW system.
..unless you plan on some future upgrades ?.
You could use a much cheaper , 300kW controller with that motor , and still have plenty of future potential.
.. But, I am not against the AC options either !....(..a salvaged Tesla power train would be a good match in a Boxter )
Yes a Tesla would be Very Nice 8) anyone know where one is :?:

The other option is a AMR but thats twice the price :|

I will keep buying Lotto Tickets

BTW I am tking the EV Sonic to the local hill climb at the end of the month first EV to entry

Cheers Kiwi

Cowardlyduck said:
kiwiev said:
Here is one AC50
Looks like one of those might be enough then...could you add extra cooling to it so it can handle a heavier car and still pump decent current through it?

Cheers

They have internal fan and run best from 3000 to 5000 rpm but they can be programed to 10000 rpm I can run 1300 amps thru the 2 of them, im not sure what a Toyota MR 2 weights but he had 342 kg of batteries in it.

Cheers Kiwi

So I am still researching batteries at this stage I would really like close to 30 Kwh soup for ideas voltage 120 volts this will allow for voltage sag during acceleration choices

38 x 3.2 300 Ah prismatic LiFe
A 123 20 Ah pouches does anyone know of a Australian supplier
18650 cells and a crap load of spot welding

Would like to know pro and cons of above and if possible pricing and if there is another option

Thanks in advance Kiwi

Seems like a lot of people are doing all sorts of things with Nissan Leaf packs and the individual battery modules inside :)

I vote for, 18650 cells and a crap load of spot welding for several reasons.

1) Higher power density
2) Lighter weight
3) Easier to service (replace cells) yourself if built right
4) Easily customisable shape
5) I plan on building my next E-Bike packs from 18650's, so would benefit greatly if you did also. ;)

It might seem/sound daunting building a 30KWh pack from 18650's, but with the right equipment, once your in the groove of building it, I think it would just be a matter of slugging it out every night for a few weeks to get it done, provided a lot of planning went into it first.

You could use some of the new LG or Samsung 3500Mah cells and get away with using far fewer cells than otherwise. These cells can manage 10A each also, so have more than enough potential for high amps draw. Right now I would recommend the LG INR18650 MJ1 3500mAh from Nkon as you can get them for €3.75 if you buy more than 300. You might be able to get them even cheaper with the quantity you would be after...and I will be after some also soon (about 280) for my bikes also.
http://ru.nkon.nl/rechargeable/18650-size/lg-inr18650-mj1.html

To get 30KWh at 120 volts nominal you would need about 32S and to make that 30KWh you would need about 72 paralleled so 2304 cells total....2304 cells total :shock:
Yeah, that's a crap load of spot welding...but, consider this...
That pack would only weigh in at 107.5Kg
Would be able to deliver 720amps without an issue...probably being ok up to 1000A for short bursts

You could add another 28 cells in parallel for 100P guaranteeing 1000A continuous, and giving you 41.4KWh.

The only catch I see is it would cost about $13000 AUD...before shipping for the 30KWh and $18k for 41KWh...ouch! Although I have no idea what your budget is for the battery, and how this compares to the alternatives so could still be ok I guess.

Hope that helps. :)

Cheers

Back