Klein Mantra Meets BHT!

After a little calming music, some other news:
I found a great spot to play down by the river (if it hasn't rained in a while) I'm about to head back and do some more playin. Even with double bike weight, it maintains pretty good balance and just shoots over loose driftwood and debris better than I ever could with just pedals. It's quite and peaceful and you can see blue sky thru the shade of the big trees out over the river. There's also the occasional 70mph amtrak or airplane right overhead at low altitude. Sometimes airforce one does touch/go's for a couple hours- bigass plane.
Can't wait to do some real mtn biking, all the trails are like 1/2hr away, and there's nobody to ride with (that can keep up).

Thanks to some input from neptronix, i can warn to be careful of what gopro knockoff you buy. I will be trying a 'genuine' sjcam, it's novatech chipset is supposed to hold 60fps @ 480& 720p, whereas my current one is quite sad.

Thanks izeman- i just ordered the same 2day. . . That's interesting it's not a true 60fps, but i think motion pictures are like 20-30frames? so 30 even has got to be way better than what I've been using. It was asx action camera : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R8IQD6W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And from what I understand it has a trash chipset which results in dropped frames and cmos warbling.

I might have to 'invest' in a chest harness too, much better for offroad probably.
I'll be looking to see if you add some video of your stuff!

I understand why I've seen ventilation holes in the bht's now. I just burned over 1ah/mi w/full draw (5k-ish watts) @low speed jumping thru piles of debris in sticky mud terrain. It only took 20minutes to heat up the bht till the point I thought to take a break. Time to add a thermister. Too bad I cant add another '3spd' switch on the infineon that actually controls amps and not just speed, but I think this will work, I've just found some limits. And there's always the ca to try for amp/temp limiting on the fly.

Heres what the current camera does and what the bht was doing.. . The video and sound isn't 'that' bad at lower speed, but I expect more of a gopro experience with the sjcam4000.

[youtube]Z1bksa7LRZs[/youtube]

Spiiiiiiiit iiiiiiiiit out !!!!!!!!!!! What does he even mean by that?

LOl that was a fun ride, you are like opposite of what mtb riders do. Most avoid where as you just run straight at the obstacles. :twisted:

As for video quality I found the best tip for sharpness is blue skies and riding in the sun. Colours come out clear, anything with a gopro in shade is always grey.

Good work mate. Next time I want some 3rd person angles especially when you going over that wood.

Thanks John Bozi!
Hehe, that's the problem with my play area, there is no way 'but through' many spots, so I might as well practise aye? Ebike power is so much fun.
I will certainly be attempting somer better multivantage video very soon! You have one heck of a collection to aspire to!
Do you think you're gonna give the motor a try?
I'm half tempted to snap up a genesis to play around with, I've never even ridden another fs besides my klein.
Look for 'practice makes scrap metal' if teslanv doesn't have any swingarms currently.

Thanks Izeman, the camera review looks acceptable. The sony is double the price and so much bigger, so it really looks like the best in it's class. Makin some videos will be fun!

Edit, PS: I received and tested the camera 2day. A WORLD of difference, even though the form factor, accessories, and box are pretty identical to the shit one. Excellent 720 vid w/ great frame rate. And much better menu and options.

The catch is that audio will take some work. One of the best things about the video above is the bht sounds. (at low speed it reminds me of a hearty little beagle or something, and then of course it gets mean real quick)
I haven't acheived near that sound quality with the sjcam yet.
Also tried a 7$ chest harness that is awesome. Takes some doin to get the video to shoot more forward than down for biking though.

I have some results from the SJ4000, Frame rates and quality are worlds apart from the cheapy asx cam.
I have not acheived nice audio with anything other than using the waterproof enclosure and the vented rear door, and mounting on the harness.

For bar mount it's least shaky if mounting the cam naked, but no luck yet with filtering the audio.

Here's the first decent test. In individual frames the ca can even be read.
I am very happy with the harness, but getting more of an up angle will require some magyver (or rubegoldberg) sht.

What do people think of my setup? having never had an ebike (emtnbike), I have nothing to compare it to, but it feels just like what I was going for- as close to a normal bike, with a hyde side. :twisted:
Although it's too heavy @65-70lbs to do some stuff I used to, I can still do 'normal' riding, and suppliment with power whenever, usually just in spurts or to get to a speed.

[youtube]In52NPeGUOc[/youtube]

edit, hmmm, recorded in 720 .mov, but loses quality when utube contverts to .mp4 even still at 720.
Gonna have to work on that bike mount and harness camera angle some more too!

file.php

i've always wondered how well (or not) this setup shifts...

It works! Barely!
Any more range (height) between the gears and the deraileur hits the next tallest gear. Basically you're okay if you take away every other gear on an 8spd cassette. As far as the shift action, I can downshift from 11t to 36t in one full thumb press of the shimano 8spd shifter. Upshift is 1 click at a time. I wondered if it would work also- no problems, smooth.

4 or 5 spds is a compromise, and I will be shooting for all 8gears nextime for better person power efficiency, as I find I still love to just pedal. The only thing holding that back is the rear triangle geometry messing up the chainline on the outer portion of the cassette.

altrock / good song by 'alive like me'. They kinda remind me of 'falling in reverse'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecfSX0VYb0U

Edit// OOPS sorry overclocker ^^^ I cleaned up my first post just now and didn't realize what would happen to your picture.
Here it is, the first setup- 4 gears 11-36 on a freehub and a #35 50t sprocket on a white hd freewheel for the bht.

Hehehe riverrun fun :D -it's hd capable if that helps. . .

[youtube]8x37c6r5OQI[/youtube]

Is it getting blocked for anyone? It's showing blocked for the US.

man the soundtrack matched so well I was laughing. It was by accident it even happened, I was just watching footage with 10k songs playing randomly lol. I don't know how to get away with it, maybe classify it diff on utube?

here's the unedited video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EcL-yFP0qE
If you're in the US and want the 'full experience'- play Bowie's 'soul love' over the video. Start the video into the song @ 38seconds lol.

I love the BHT motor, powerful torque, and good power. Never seems to overheat either. I'm consuming 4950w on full acceleration, and about 2200w crusing at top speed 40mph. Excellent torque at low speeds.

Do you have more pics of the rear sprockets? How did you attach the sprocket from BHT? Is it also attached to the freewheel? Any idea how one can attach a large rear sprocket without freewheel? I would rather have freewheel just for the chain from the pedals. That way I could use regen also.

Think BHT would match well with max-e controller from adaptto? I wonder what peak power one could get from BHT @ 20s high c batteries and max-e controller.

Hey Macribs,

Do you have more pics of the rear sprockets?
I'll work on that. I assume you watched the video? It shows the white fw which the sprocket bolts to, and the freehubbody for the bike gears.
How did you attach the sprocket from BHT? Is it also attached to the freewheel?
To the white fw with bolts, it's the only thing attached to the fw.
Any idea how one can attach a large rear sprocket without freewheel? I would rather have freewheel just for the chain from the pedals. That way I could use regen also.
And you could use the controller motor lock or make your own phase lock for antitheft. Look at skeetabs build, or I think bzhwind is selling a special hub too. Either a special dual disc hub (skeetab), or a fw hub and threaded discbrake adapter (evolutiongts *i think) would easily achieve a bolt up cleanly.

Think BHT would match well with max-e controller from adaptto? I wonder what peak power one could get from BHT @ 20s high c batteries and max-e controller.

I'd love to find out, they look nice. Probably just fine. idk on peak power. It's holding up to nearly 6000 watts in my videos- even the stuff all in the lower 50% of the gearing like the riverpov vid. Although, I see pack sag on the 5.8ah 25c and motor heat running it like that.

I've read alot of your posts, and I think you may be looking for more of a heavyweight build for the road, so you might be best off with biggest hub you can get.
Parallel middrive is great, but much more challenging of a build than a hub, and it's benefits are the ability to move the 'powerband' down while keeping a lighter more balanced offroad ride.

The BHT is a great motor, but i believe at 6kw or more it already saturates so a Max-E probabaly would be a bit overkill for it. Keep in mind its a low kV motor and if we want to push it really hard it needs higher volts.
Below 100V i think the other higher kV big block motor (that lightningrods use in his middrive) in combinations with more reduction is the better choice. The transmagnetic motors also look interesting too.

I'm waiting on parts for the 'ST3 BHT' build. Kant really go farther until I settle drivelines etc.

So I was looking at my first build here, and decided to rework the bike chain pulley. The old mount was huge, and I thought better placement may allow more bike gears, which I've missed on my first build here.

It worked out nicely, the 11-36 cassette range is still there, but with 5 gears inbetween it's so much nicer to apply some person power to the bike. Lot smoother. Everything else is goin well, but this rear tire is looking a little shabby.

I may go to a 17" mx or 24"bike rim to improve geometry a bit. I'd like a slacker rake, and the bb could be a little lower. Also planning a 10% lower reduction, to save some battery current. I don't go 40 except on the road, and that's breakin the speed limit here anyway lol. I'm expected 32/35mph with same nasty torque, but 10-20% less current needed.
Maybe when I wear out these tires or brake something else :lol:.

100_1419.JPG
100_1420.JPG
View attachment 4
100_1422.JPG
100_1426.JPG
100_1427.JPG
100_1428.JPG
a.JPG

Oh, looking at these pix reminds me I put that disc on wrong lol. Shoulda changed it when the wheel was off damit! First time away from vbrakes.

Thankyou Sir! I've been watching your build start. That atomik is like my ultimate to put a bht mid on.
If you have a chance, Will a 148mm (bht sized) circle fit into the geometry with suspension up/down? Intrusion into wheelspace wouldn't be important, as horizontal d/o and extended wheelbase would be desired anyway.

You're build is gonna be awesome for sure! I bet you can't wait. Thanks for posting it, I know I'm watching with interest.

I don't think it would without stretching the rear about 100mm or 4 inches in American :p I was looking into rv100 and 120 they both required more space than was there. I decided to go the hub for now. I am going to lengthen rear by the 100mm anyway in the hope of keeping the front down, while I'm playing with the dropouts. If it survives this build the next will most likely have similar set up to yours. I will measure the gap when I get home tonight.

Adam.

Back