Legends dropping like flies

A powerful singer with crossover country/pop singer made her a very popular artist in the 1970's and 80's. Her trademark smash hit (I never promised you a) Rose Garden sold millions. She was so popular as a crossover artist that in 1974 she sold out Madison Square Garden in New York City.

All though she could rally belt them out, I preferred her more subtle songs that highlighted her classic country vocal style.

RIP
Lynn Anderson - Heart attack

[youtube]7OlbVE859-Y[/youtube]

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/09/14/reo-speedwagon-guitarist-gary-richrath-dies/ :cry:
Gary Richrath, a former guitarist for the classic rock band REO Speedwagon who also co-wrote the group's hit song "Take It on the Run," died Sunday, according to a publicist for the band. He was 65.
Erik Stein confirmed on Monday that Richrath passed away but offered no details about the cause of death.
Richrath was born in October 1949, according to public records. He was a member of the band when it released its self-titled debut in 1971 and was with REO Speedwagon until 1989.
Richrath co-wrote some of the band's songs, including "Take It on the Run," which became a Top 5 pop hit on the Billboard charts.
"I feel so sad. Gary was both a unique guitarist and songwriter, and the embodiment of the tough guy with a heart of gold. I learned most of what I know about being in a rock band from Gary Richrath," REO Speedwagon's lead singer, Kevin Cronin, wrote on the band's website and Facebook page. "The entire REO Family mourns his death and shares in the grief of his family, friends, and fans. These words do not come close to expressing the depth of emotions I am feeling at this time."
Richrath last played with REO Speedwagon in 2013, when the band performed a benefit concert in Bloomington, Illinois, to raise money for tornado victims.
REO Speedwagon has released a number of successful albums, including 1980's "Hi Infidelity," which sold 10 million copies in the United States.
Richrath released a solo album, "Only the Strong Survive," in 1992.

People die, its apart of life, 65 is shy of the average 75 expected for someone in N.A.
Most likely he was or is a smoker.

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/frankie-ford-dies-sea-cruise/2015/09/30/id/694016/ :cry:
Frankie Ford, the rock and roll and rhythm and blues singer whose 1959 hit "Sea Cruise" brought him international fame, is dead at the age of 76.
The Jefferson Parish Coroner's Office says Ford died Monday of natural causes, reported The Associated Press.
Mike Shepherd, head of the Louisiana music Hall of Fame, said Ford had been ill for some time.
Ford had sung since childhood. His adopted parents, Vincent and Anna Guzzo of Gretna, brought him to New York City when he was five to perform on the "Ted Mack Amateur Hour."
Shepherd said Ford was among three white singers called to Cosimo Matassa's New Orleans studio in the late 1950s to cover songs by local black musicians whose records got less airtime because of racial discrimination.

The older you get, the more likely it is for your contemporaries to die. When you're a kid, the people you are concerned about, the ones in your generation, only die from unnatural events, and it doesn't happen regularly. When you get to be a geezer, you may take claim to being the only one left of your crowd.

So if you were a little kid or a teenager seeing 'Poltergeist,' you lost a contemporary almost immediately. First it was the older sister, the daughter of Dominick Dunne that he wrote the book about the killers' trial. Then it was the younger sister, natural causes.

So I was not long out of college when a coworker I took to be mid-30's went to the funeral of a college friend. He said someone else told him "It only gets worse from here. . . ."

Ah, but it's not right to get too caught up in that. People come into your life all the time, you shouldn't dwell on the idea that they'll die sometime.

35 years later, still feeling it.

JOHN LENNON:
(If only it could have been someone other than Yoko talking about him.)

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/10/06/yoko-ono-the-migrant-crisis-would-have-upset-john-lennon/21245124/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl39|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D-284248255

With as much range as other greats of his era...weather it be Joe Cocker, Aretha Franklin or Ray Charles, Cory Wells could light up a song as well as any great. He was a hugely underrated rock singer!

Rip Cory Wells!!!!

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY07ABumIL4

[youtube]WY07ABumIL4[/youtube]

For me he'll always be the guy who wanted to ask Nixon "What did you know and when did you know it." He sure took a different course from his Republican co-counsel Hillary Rodham. (Not Clinton yet.) Also the air traffic controller chief who tells the terrorists over the radio "Come here and say that" in 'Die Hard II.'

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/01/us/fred-thompson-dies-tennessee/

Fred_Thompson.jpg

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...ark-lemon-dies/ar-BBnZA3i?ocid=ansmsnsports11 :cry:
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) — Meadowlark Lemon, the "clown prince" of basketball's barnstorming Harlem Globetrotters, whose blend of hook shots and humor brought joy to millions of fans around the world, has died. He was 83.
Lemon's wife and daughter confirmed to the team that he died Sunday in Scottsdale, Arizona, Globetrotters spokesman Brett Meister said Monday. Meister did not know the cause of death.
Though skilled enough to play professionally, Lemon instead wanted to entertain, his dream of playing for the Globetrotters hatched after watching a newsreel of the all-black team at a cinema house when he was 11.
Lemon ended up becoming arguably the team's most popular player, a showman known as much for his confetti-in-the-water-bucket routine and slapstick comedy as his half-court hook shots and no-look, behind-the-back passes.
A sign of his crossover appeal, Lemon was inducted into both the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame and the International Clown Hall of Fame.
"My destiny was to make people happy," Lemon said as he was inducted into the basketball hall as a contributor to the game in 2003.
Lemon played for the Globetrotters during the team's heyday from the mid-1950s to the late-1970s, delighting fans with his skills with a ball and a joke. Traveling by car, bus, train or plane nearly every night, Lemon covered nearly 4 million miles to play in over 100 countries and in front of popes and presidents, kings and queens. Known as the "Clown Prince of Basketball," he averaged 325 games per year during his prime, that luminous smile never dimming.
"Meadowlark was the most sensational, awesome, incredible basketball player I've ever seen," NBA great and former Globetrotter Wilt Chamberlain said shortly before his death in 1999. "People would say it would be Dr. J or even (Michael) Jordan. For me it would be Meadowlark Lemon."
Lemon spent 24 years with the Globetrotters, doing tours through the racially torn South in the 1950s until he left in 1979 to start his own team.
He was one of the most popular athletes in the world during the prime of his career, thanks to a unique blend of athleticism and showmanship.
Playing against the team's nightly foil, the Washington Generals, Lemon left fans in awe with an array of hook shots, no-look passes and the nifty moves he put on display during the Globetrotters' famous circle while "Sweet Georgia Brown" played over the loudspeaker.
He also had a knack for sending the fans home with a smile every night, whether it was with his running commentary, putting confetti in a water bucket or pulling down the pants of an "unsuspecting" referee.
"We played serious games too, against the Olympic teams and the College All-Stars," Lemon said. "But that didn't stop us from putting the comedy in there."
Lemon became an icon in the 1970s, appearing in movies, including "The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh," numerous talk shows and even a stint in the cartoon "Scooby Doo," with Scatman Crothers doing his voice.
After leaving the Globetrotters, Lemon started his own team, The Bucketeers, and played on a variety of teams before rejoining the Globetrotters for a short tour in 1994.

Lemon spent the last years of his life trying to spread a message of faith through basketball. He became an ordained minister in 1986 and was a motivational speaker, touring the country to meet with children at basketball camps and youth prisons with his Scottsdale-based Meadowlark Lemon Ministries.
"I feel if I can touch a kid in youth prison, he won't go to the adult prison," Lemon said in 2003.
He never lost touch with his beloved sport. Lemon said he rose every day at 4 a.m. and, after prayers, headed for the gym to run sprints and practice shooting.
"I have to keep that hook shot working," he said.
Born in 1932, Meadow George Lemon III — he lengthened his name after joining the Globetrotters — didn't have money for a basketball when he was young, so he rigged up a makeshift hoop in his backyard in Wilmington, North Carolina. Using a coat hanger and onion sack for the basket, he made his first shot with an empty milk can.
Lemon first contacted the Globetrotters before his high school graduation and joined the team in 1954. He missed a game in 1955 because of a bad bowl of goulash in Germany, but that was the last one. What followed was a run, by his calculations, of more than 16,000 straight games that took him to places he never could have imagined.
"I was one of the most fortunate athletes that ever lived," he said. "I was able to watch history."

Vale....Steve Wright..lead singer of the Easybeats, died Monday age 68
Recognised as Australia,s first rock star after the 1967 hit " Friday on my mind".
A huge composing , lyric writer and stage performing talent, sadly worn down by the excesses of fame!
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/stevie-wright-our-first-rock-star-our-first-rock-tragedy-20151228-glvw5w.html

Gregory said:
And now Lemy Kilmister from Motorhead.
He lived hard and loud.

[youtube]1iwC2QljLn4[/youtube]

Oh no! Not David Bowie too. :(

David Bowie dies age 69. David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer.

I'm not going to select a youtube song, pick your favourite.

edit: changed my mind :D . Ashes to Ashes seems appropriate.

[youtube]CMThz7eQ6K0[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViftZTfRSt8
[youtube]ViftZTfRSt8[/youtube]

not really my favorite but it is rather funny, and I always liked that movie. :)

Oh, this is very sad news !
Bowie was right up there with the Beatles, Elvis, etc with regards his influence on the pop music scene from the early 70's to date.
So many other musicians and bands were inspired by him ( and fashion styles !)
A few weeks back, I had the great fortune of spending an hour or two in the DBowie exhibition in Melbourne arts centre.
So many memories, so much good music, such a stage performer.
Indeed.....Sorrow ..
[youtube]FdsedY0foGc[/youtube]
http://youtu.be/FdsedY0foGc
[youtube]yNxUFa47WlI[/youtube]

Another 69 year old - Alan Rickman. 69 seems young to me :( Hans Gruber has to be my favourite bad guy.

ALAN Rickman, the British actor who starred in films such as the Harry Potter series and Love Actually, has died of cancer, aged 69.
He became one of Britain’s best-loved acting stars thanks to roles including Professor Snape in the Harry Potter films and Hans Gruber in Die Hard.

tumblr_le0zo9IfWm1qcig1w.gif

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/th...dan-haggerty-dies-at-74/ar-BBofqQK?li=BBnb7Kz :cry:
The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams star Dan Haggerty has died.
Haggerty lost his battle to cancer Friday morning at age 74, PEOPLE confirms.
Haggery's rep and friend of 20 years Terry Bomar told PEOPLE Haggerty was diagnosed with cancer in his spine in August after experiencing back pain in July.
"He fought hard," Bomar said. "He had a great Thanksgiving, he had a great Christmas with his family."
Bomar added that Haggerty was visited by his close friends and family in the hospital in his final days.
On the NBC series, the actor played Grizzly Adams, a mountain man who rescues and cares for an abandoned grizzly bear named Ben. The show ran from 1977–78.
Haggerty was an animal trainer before he was an actor.
In 1978, Diane Rooker, Haggerty's wife at the time, told PEOPLE he had "no appetite for Hollywood life."
"We've had the same friends for years," she added.
Haggerty also told PEOPLE about the time "Otis Chandler, the publisher of the Los Angeles Times, invited me to his house and then took me into his den to see the huge bear he'd shot and had stuffed."
Haggerty continued, "I told him: 'Hell, any jacka-- can point a gun at something and kill it. I got a bear that's bigger than yours, and he rides around in the truck with me.'"

(CNN)Glenn Frey, a founding member of the rock band the Eagles, has died at 67, a publicist for the band has confirmed.

"Glenn fought a courageous battle for the past several weeks but, sadly, succumbed to complications from rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia," reads a post on the band's official website.

Frey had been suffering from intestinal issues, which caused the postponement of the band's inclusion in the 2015 Kennedy Center Honors.

Frey and the other original members of the Eagles — Don Henley, Randy Meisner and Bernie Leadon -- came together to form singer Linda Ronstadt's backup band in the early 1970s.

They were all experienced musicians who brought their expertise to the country-tinged rock sound that the Eagles would eventually make famous.

Going on to form their own band, the Eagles found wild success. Throughout the 1970s the band released hit after hit, including "One of These Nights," "Best of My Love" and "Life in the Fast Lane,"

Frey played guitar and keyboard and took lead vocal duties for the band on tunes like "Take it Easy" and "Tequila Sunrise."

With "Hotel California" in 1976, the band reached the pinnacle of its success, selling 16 million copies. They released four number one albums consecutively between 1975 and 1979: "One of These Nights," "Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975," "Hotel California" and "The Long Run."

"Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975," was the first album certified platinum and has sold 29 million copies in the United States, second only to Michael Jackson's "Thriller," according to Rolling Stone.

The band has sold more than 100 million records worldwide and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998.

Though public reception was warm, the band had a prickly relationship with many critics.

"Another thing that interests me about the Eagles is that I hate them," wrote rock critic Robert Christgau in 1972, when they first hit it big.

The band succumbed to internal squabbles and broke up in 1980. Frey, Henley and other band members were famously contentious.

"He was like a brother to me," Henley said in a statement Monday. "We were family, and like most families, there was some dysfunction. But, the bond we forged 45 years ago was never broken, even during the 14 years that the Eagles were dissolved."

Frey and Henley co-wrote many of the band's biggest hits, including "Best of My Love." "Lyin' Eyes," "One of These Nights" and "Hotel California." Frey also famously helped Jackson Browne finish writing the Eagles' first hit, "Take It Easy," contributing the catchy verse, "it's a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford / slowing down to take a look at me."

With his pop sensibilities and gift for melody, Frey was an ideal songwriting counterpart to Henley's seriousness and penchant for social statements.

Frey saw solo success with the 1982 release "No Fun Aloud." He hit the top 40 with "The Heat Is On," "You Belong to the City," "True Love," and "Soul Searchin.'"

He also tried his hand at acting with a guest spot on "Miami Vice" and a role in the film "Jerry Maguire."

The band reunited for 1994's Hell Freezes Over tour, which spawned an MTV special and a live album. They would continue to tour together over the years.

"Words can neither describe our sorrow, nor our love and respect for all that he has given to us, his family, the music community & millions of fans worldwide," the band said on its website Monday.

160118171244-glenn-frey-08-exlarge-169.jpg

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...nality-Charlie-Tuna-Dies-at-71-370599371.html :cry:
Longtime radio personality Charlie Tuna, who was a driving force behind many stations and formats in Los Angeles, died earlier this month at 71.
Flowers were placed on his Hollywood Walk of Fame star on Monday to remember the disk jockey who was voted numerously as one of the top radio personalities in Los Angeles.
Born in Nebraska as Art Ferguson, the famed deejay "passed away peacefully in his sleep Feb. 19, 2016," according to a statement posted on his website.
"His was a life well-lived, and he will always be remembered for the joy, laughter and love of music he brought to many throughout the world with his presence on the radio. All who knew him will sadly miss him.''
His family asked that donations be made in his name to Children's Hospital Los Angeles.
Ferguson began using the moniker Charlie Tuna while working in Oklahoma City in 1966. After a stint in Boston, he moved to Los Angeles in late 1967, appearing on KHJ
He was one of the original DJs at KROQ in the early 1970s, then became a morning DJ and program manager at KKDJ, which later became KIIS- AM and eventually began a simulcast on FM.
He worked a series of other stations, including KRLA, KODJ and KLAC, then hosted the "Charlie Tuna in the Morning'' program on KBIG until 2007.
After that station changed format, he moved to K-Earth 101, where he stayed until 2015, when he focused on a syndication business.
He appeared for more than two decades on Armed Forces Radio, and served as an announcer on television shows including "Scrabble,'' "The Mike Douglas Show'' and "America's Top 10'' with Casey Kasem.
He was voted as one of the top 10 radio personalities in Los Angeles in 1997 by Los Angeles Radio People readers and in 2007 and 2013 by LARadio.com.
Charlie Tuna is also credited with raising millions of dollars for Children's Hospital Los Angeles, thanks to his annual "Tunathon'' fundraiser.
Charlie lived in Tarzana, where he served as the city's honorary mayor since 1977.

Back