Limiting power of controller (cheaply)

davidsvoboda

100 W
Hi, I have this kit - http://www.turbobikekit.com/cyclone-waterproof-geared-electric-ebike-kit-1920watt-3000watt-36v-60volt and I would like to use the controller and throttle to run with much smaller 250W hub motor (Bafang SWXH). I want to use this controller because I intent on "hot rodding" the motor, but I need to be able to further limit power of the controller - before I can afford to buy the Cyclone Analyst V3 to limit power for me.

So is there any easy way to limit the power going to the motor, adding resistors, I heard? But how exactly, what do I buy and where do I connect it to?

Thank you, so much!

Also, I have this http://www.turbobikekit.com/Cyclone-3-Speed-Switch-for-cyclone-controllers?filter_name=3%20speed but it only limits power to 65% which is still too much, I need to limit it as low as 15 or 10%..

The biggest question is whether or not the controller is programmable; if it is, and you can find the programming software, the power levels should be able to be limited to a level you prefer. Your only other option is to buy a cheap and low-powered controller to start with, if your controller can't be reprogrammed easily. What type of controller is it? Some types can be modified pretty easily.

why don't you limit power with the the throttle? just don't turn the throttle as high. not sure why you think a resistor will fix this or how you would wire it up but is pretty primitive and for no reason.

You can remove a shunt. It works well on some controllers. I had one issue with V dropping as the logic power came from the controller. I ran bypass wires from the battery, as far back in the circuit, even before the BMS is practical to get the most accurate battery measurements.

If you like wasting 20kw of energy burning rubber, a few more watts on a peltier cooler wont break the bank. They are light and in this respect efficient for drag racing and the shorter runs where a larger pack is only required for amps and not long distance, The anti peltier efficiency argument was always dead in these threads despite being very objective. You loose so much RPM on these fans and the whole point of better cooling is to achieve faster speed unless we are talking cargo.

Kodin said:
The biggest question is whether or not the controller is programmable; if it is, and you can find the programming software, the power levels should be able to be limited to a level you prefer. Your only other option is to buy a cheap and low-powered controller to start with, if your controller can't be reprogrammed easily. What type of controller is it? Some types can be modified pretty easily.

You can see the type above in the kit I have. It is not programmable, I believe.. :(

Back