Lishen 18650 cells and the death of disposables

Overclocker

10 kW
eTrike said:
Hey all, some of you probably know the name Lishen. They are a major manufacturer in China. I happened upon a good deal for some 2200mAh cells a few years ago but they've been sitting in storage until a few days ago. I tested IR when I first got them but didn't test capacity until just now. The IR hasn't changed in the 3-4 years I've had them and they tested at 100% of capacity. I was really expecting much worse.
This lead me to contemplate that many of the batteries being produced now will live on in lower power applications once they are no longer suitable for the original application. With a slight adaptation for remotes, flashlights, etc. that typically use alkaline batteries, you could have a battery which might last as long as the device it controls. A dreamy prospect, but either way I'm very impressed with these Lishen cells.

the wireless keyboard i'm typing this on requires 2x AA but instead it put in one lifepo4 14500 and a dummy. same w/ most of my AAA remotes, 10440 lifepo4 and a dummy. so we're already there 8)

eTrike said:
Hey all, some of you probably know the name Lishen. They are a major manufacturer in China. I happened upon a good deal for some 2200mAh cells a few years ago but they've been sitting in storage until a few days ago. I tested IR when I first got them but didn't test capacity until just now. The IR hasn't changed in the 3-4 years I've had them and they tested at 100% of capacity. I was really expecting much worse.
This lead me to contemplate that many of the batteries being produced now will live on in lower power applications once they are no longer suitable for the original application. With a slight adaptation for remotes, flashlights, etc. that typically use alkaline batteries, you could have a battery which might last as long as the device it controls. A dreamy prospect, but either way I'm very impressed with these Lishen cells.

I've tested 10 year old Sanyo 2400mAh cells that still test out like new. Same IR and same capacity compared to new fresh cells. However I've seen some big problems from The Samsung 4.30v and 4.35v charge voltage cells. Cells sitting idle for 1-2 years doubling in IR and losing 10-15% capacity. Also seen the same problem (even worse than samsung) from MNKE IMR 26650 and 18650's. Very big problem when they are stored.

AFAICR, the higher the voltage a cell is kept at, the worse the electrolyte degradation is, and there's other problems I cant' recall ATM.

So it makes sense that the higher voltage cells would have more problems long term, left stored full.

amberwolf said:
AFAICR, the higher the voltage a cell is kept at, the worse the electrolyte degradation is, and there's other problems I cant' recall ATM.

So it makes sense that the higher voltage cells would have more problems long term, left stored full.

But these were stored at roughly the same SOC. Almost all major cell manufacturers ship cells at a 30-50% SOC. I think probably more are shipping at 30% or so due to some new transportation regulations. The MNKE's though that I referenced were 4.20v charge voltage cells, but I believe for some reason MNKE shipped them at 3.9v or so, so a bit high, however I believe there are some cells that just had flawed cell chemistry. Bad batch maybe? Not sure.

I still have a few cells I put in zip lock bags 6 years ago in storage. I fully charged all to 4.20v. I'll get them out and test the IR and voltage to see how they are doing. You are right though higher storage voltage means much faster cell deterioration, but I don't think that was the case in my situation as the voltage wasn't much higher.

most devices here are modded to accept 18650.
those that are not feasible to mod are dumped at the flea or garage sale.or used to dispose of any alkaleaks i happen to get.
aa and aaa that come with devices i mod go in the battery box at the shop for remotes to the tv's i refurb and sell.
while the death of disposable batteries is still far off it is within sight.

Back