LMX P2 : Freeride trials motorcycle frame development

There is 10x hobbyking hardcase cells arranged as 20s2p 75v/10AH

I have ordered 3x6S 10AH (with actual 10Ah cells) from china to wire out as a 18s to replace this pack that is now quite old and frocked up.
Was so cheap that if they perform semi decentely I'll get a second pack. But the good/cheap stuff out of china is rare unfortunately :?

I tested the bike today for the first time! very good power to weigth ;)
I need to reprogramm the kelly for more responsivity from the throttle. Top speed is good at about 40mph, with still a lot of torque on the low end.

The chassis is behaving well, like a very light trials bike :) it feels a bit long on the rear end but we'll see when I get used to it.

After 10min of testing (doing power pulls mainly) the motor was getting hot. It can dissipate well but I hope that it will cope with 45 minutes/1h rides without overheating... I had no CA so no power readout but I would guess north of 6kw peak on this first test with the old lipo battery on 19s.

Can't wait for more!!

Put a resistor kty 84/130 wired to the kelly it s like 3 €, epoxied it and fix temp to 120 in the kelly software there's a diagram on kelly s website

Enjoy,

Are you ready to sell a Frame or cad files ? I think I got a customer overthrew ;)

Nice!

Really cool, seems to work perfect! Can't wait to build my own now in the summer, really looking forward to see you create some of these so I can buy one hehe :D

//Mr. Sweden

Looks to be working great! How would you compare the motor performance to you previous setup? Motor seems a little noisy, maybe it is just the video? I am anxious to see the consumption data if and when you get a CA on there. Fantastic job! Looks like a lot of fun.

Great! no snail cam needed?!?

btw I like the long wheel base of your bike... I did climb a 25% hill with lots of obstacles today with the short 115cm wheel base of my MTB. Could not pedal but had to lean forward as much as i could to keep the front wheel down.. my balls didnt like that either :oops:

Crossbreak, it will need tensionners such as those :
IMG_2024.png

Rigth now the wheel can move forward when too much torque is applied.

The rear end feels long but also the seat is too short and too far forward for now, does anybody know what kind of seat could I adapt? this one is from a crf50 bike. Maybe crf 125 one could fit...

The acceleration is very good, quite better than the P1. on the other hand the motor is getting quite hot, maybe watercooling would be a good idea :roll: time will tell. The video was noisy but my chain had eaten througth the plastic chain guide I built quickely and was rubbing a bit on the frame :oops:

Hi Adam,

Well done getting the bike going so quickly.. looks as though it goes very well and would be huge fun to ride.

Good to hear that the motor goes as well as hoped, but a bit worrying about the heating. It will be interesting to hear how it goes on longer rides, and how efficient it is.

Quite a coincidence that Skeetab got his bike with the same motor going on the same weekend.

Will be watching how this develops very closely, as I have ordered the same back tyre, and will shortly be ordering the same motor and Kelly controller.

Dave R

i like the snail cam more.. but that is a matter of taste. The motor getting hot is not a bad sign IMO. It just conducts the heat well. Install a temp probe at the windings and look that it will not exceed 120°C, then it will be fine. You could temporarily install a CA to see temp and current draw. If you programmed your Kelly to 100% then it will simply suck 5 times or more of the rated motor power. I would be quite puzzled if it would not get hot then

bzhwindtalker said:
The rear end feels long but also the seat is too short and too far forward for now, does anybody know what kind of seat could I adapt? this one is from a crf50 bike. Maybe crf 125 one could fit...

I am figuring out parts/designing for a similar build right now and it looks like a KTM EXC enduro seat might be a good fit for the frame angle and seat subframe. They are long enough for the seat to act as a fender somewhat.

How many amps is the kelly kicking out right now?

standfast said:
does anybody know what kind of seat could I adapt?

I wouldn't try to adapt a seat. Make your own :wink:

get a sheet of 2mm material, alloy preferably, bend and shape to suit the frame. Get some really dense foam block 50 or 100mm thick, rough shape, glue to alloy sheet, shape with electric bread knife or hot wire. Glue some non slip nylon on and fix underneith with some really short screws into the alloy.

It would probably cost the same as buying a seat, but at least it will suit the frame.

Hi Adam,
A question about the torque of this motor from a standstill.
Skeetab is having trouble accelerating from stopped.. hopefully he can get that sorted.

You said yours "pulls like a train from 5 - 50 kph".
How is it with the Kelly controller pulling away from stopped and below 5kph? Could it pull away uphill on a steep hill?

With no pedals to help get you moving, this is quite important!

I know that with the programmable controller there are many settings that can be adjusted that might affect this (just re-read Crossbreak's comparison of controllers on the "Kelly controller" thread, and some of the other comments.. obviously there is a lot to learn about these controllers).

Thanks,
Dave

Drum said:
Hi Adam,
Skeetab is having trouble accelerating from stopped.. hopefully he can get that sorted.

He had the wrong hall combo and is now very happy.

gwhy! said:
Drum said:
Hi Adam,

He had the wrong hall combo and is now very happy.

Ya all sorted out, already ordered a spare motor just incase.

Adam great vid and frame! looking very appealing.

Still no news from the batteries... I want to ride damm!
I am thinking about the bike frame color... I was going with matte black but matte orange would look quite cool too. what do you guys think?

Back