Looking for info about Revolt motors

The bigger motor (the RV-120) actually looks perfect for converting a 50cc gas scooter over to electric (especially with the low KV); I'm really interested in seeing how your RV-100 build winds up working out. In particular, I'm wondering what kind of current those things are comfortable pushing; the low KV should translate into a LOT of wheel torque at 50-60A, and if you can push 80-100A or so then you're in really good shape.

Hi Weazel,
have you received the RV-100.
Do you have some feedback to chare??
I´m thinking about fiting a RV-120 on a scooter.....your feedback would be great.
Regards

We ordered a RV-120 several weeks ago, and got it several days after ordering (we paid the $90 for express shipping). It's a beautiful bit of engineering. AlexeyK (guy selling the motor) has been very quick and helpful with answering questions, and our initial test runs of the motor, using the included controller, are encouraging. We are using the motor in a non-bike application and are currently machining a framework into which it will fit. When this is done we will be doing "live" testing of the motor under heavy loads and real world conditions, so will then find out whether it performs as good as it looks.

I'm thinking of inviting AlexeyK to join ES, and to at least monitor this thread -- especially if his motors deliver on their promise.

I will post additional information when it becomes available.

Mine is on the way. I just went with regular shipping; Alexey said it usually takes a month or more by regular postal services..
Which is OK with me because I don't know yet where I'll use it anyway.

But I definitely want to keep an eye on this thread. Would be great if Alexey would join E-S. He answered emails very promptly (in the middle of his night even) and got my order in the mail within a few hours of the PayPal payment.

rowbiker said:
We ordered a RV-120 several weeks ago, and got it several days after ordering (we paid the $90 for express shipping). It's a beautiful bit of engineering.

I will post additional information when it becomes available.

Anxious to hear more. Sounds like you're closer to the factory than someone in Sweden, eh?

Nice to hear about the rv120, I am still waiting for the rv100. Was a major mistake to not ask for express shipping.
The Israeli post recently claimed the package was sent the 28th of may, which is a later date than the tracking shows( I trust the trackinfo over some random postsupport),
and that it should arrive within 2 moths...
Guess I wont expect it for some time still... Summer project has been more or less standing still since mid-may.
Lesson learned.

Is it my bad eyesight or does the bigger motor have thicker laminations also? RV-120 vs RV-100
As stated before, the 100mm version has probably 0.3mm lams.
Still interesting and affordable motors.

silence said:
Is it my bad eyesight or does the bigger motor have thicker laminations also? .....

Kinda looks like to me, but my eyes like to play tricks on me.
What are you guys going to use for your primary drive pulley / sprocket/gear on the 15mm diameter shaft? on the R120?
Plenty of stuff easy to find for the 12mm on the R100... 15mm, not so plentiful, at least at reasonable cost in 'SAE centric'-U.S.A.

RLT said:
silence said:
Is it my bad eyesight or does the bigger motor have thicker laminations also? .....

What are you guys going to use for your primary drive pulley / sprocket/gear on the 15mm diameter shaft? on the R120?
Plenty of stuff easy to find for the 12mm on the R100... 15mm, not so plentiful, at least at reasonable cost in 'SAE centric'-U.S.A.

Presumably, if they have a shop with machine tools it should be possible to put a drive sprocket or pulley on a lathe and just bore out the shaft to a 15mm diameter; that would work just fine for installing anything that mates with a set screw.

RLT said:
silence said:

Good eyes. I asked specifically and the 120 motor has .50mm lams, so stay away from high rpm. I don't have mine yet, but once I do and prove out the build quality, then I'll make a strong push for getting better stator steel.

Assuming this thing is actually as good as it sounds, then the Revolt RV-120 is a better deal than the corresponding Motenergy motor (I believe the ME0907). The RV120 is 126mm diameter, 104mm overall can length and weighs 9.5 lbs, while the ME0907 is 201mm diameter, 147.5mm can length, and weighs 22 lbs. Assuming that running the RV120 at its rated power (15kW for a minute or so, then 5-6kW nigh unto forever)is feasible without damaging the stator or the magnets, you're getting the exact same (or slightly better) power for under half the weight, under 30% the volume, and over a hundred dollars cheaper (plus whatever you save on shipping by going the small, light route). That said, I'd like to get user reviews from ESers for the RV120 to confirm it's as good a deal as it looks.

You need to remember this RV120 is somewhat in a class with say a Turnigy 80100. I don't think this will stand up under everything you can do to that Motenergy ME907. Not everyone will beat so hard on the motor, this is lighter and cheaper, it'll have it's uses. I don't think it'll be better.

I understand the ME907 is supposed to be a special version of this one, just for the comparison. http://www.electricmotorsport.com/ev-parts/motors/pmac-ss-me0201014201-pmac-motor-24-72v-6-hp-cont-19-hp-pk.html

Dauntless said:
You need to remember this RV120 is somewhat in a class with say a Turnigy 80100. I don't think this will stand up under everything you can do to that Motenergy ME907. Not everyone will beat so hard on the motor, this is lighter and cheaper, it'll have it's uses. I don't think it'll be better.

I understand the ME907 is supposed to be a special version of this one, just for the comparison. http://www.electricmotorsport.com/ev-parts/motors/pmac-ss-me0201014201-pmac-motor-24-72v-6-hp-cont-19-hp-pk.html

Makes sense; it looks perfect for a really high-powered mid-drive ebike (maybe a modded Greyborg Warp frame or something on that scale) or a very small electric dirtbike; I have a friend who's putting the finishing touches on a full-size electric motorcycle (Honda 1979 CB750 donor frame) using a somewhat more powerful version of the ME0907 (about 22kW peak as opposed to 15) and that's really where I see the Motenergy/Etek equipment shining. My concern in part with using an Etek on a moped is that the ME0907 is physically huge for the vehicle. For a much physically larger application, especially one where I'm going to be really beating on the motor, I'd shell out the extra $100-150 for the Etek; that said, for a moped or high-powered mid-drive ebike I would absolutely recommend the RV-120 (pending user reviews and a couple of torture tests) over the ME0907.

We have installed a RV-120 into our test platform, and after some initial testing, it appears that the motor is capable of delivering its claimed performance. We'll be doing more testing on Monday, especially with regard to the motor's response to a variety of throttle behaviors. There may be an issue with smooth startups with the motor under a full load, but we're testing with the sensorless version, and Alexey.K (vendor/manufacturer) has already told us that a Hall version may be more appropriate for our use. I will update this thread when more useful data becomes available. We're testing initially at 36VDC supplied by old lead-acid cells, with the stock supplied controller, so there's noplace to go but up as far as the supply side is concerned.

Back