Looking for info about Revolt motors

I ran my rv100 motor under water with small boat prop. It has ceramic bearings and the stator is fully epoxied.

But I get out of sync problems at even low power.

It is a 45kv winding. I use 12 and 18 fet controllers sensorless. Would a big rc controller be an option ? Or is even a small boat prop to much resistance at too low rpm ? Any thoughts about this ?

How does it run without load under water?

How big is the "small boat prop"? Its hard to say anything regarding the torque situation when no numbers are given.
What voltage do you run and what prop rpm are you shooting for?

I think its an intresting concept to run one of these motors under water, been thinking about it myself.
From checking around the web, it seems most outboards use a ~1:1 drive to the propeller and have a propeller rpm of 5000-6000rpm.

Outboards have about 2:1 gear reduction.

I used several kinds of props, from 4 inch pitch to 11 pitch from 36v to 72v.

Another 45kv turnigy c80100 motor has the same problems btw.

So it is more an controller problem I think

are you useing the sensorless xiechang controllers?

because, even without 1st hand experiance, I know your going to have problemswith thier sensoless controll.

Lyen himself has or had video's posted of the sensorless controllers not working well with low pole count astro motors...the sync problems are multiplied with higher pole count motors.

you need a waterproof hall sensored motor for any kind of functionality I am afraid.....wish i could be of more help....

Yes I use those controllers.
everything is fully epoxied and hall sensors are therefore no option.

Any other sensorless controller suggestions. ? Maybe big rc controller. ?

Maybe I need even a smaller prop so it can run higher rpm with less resistance.

wow,
The only sensorless controllers I could possible recomend would be the Castle creation hv160's...
I have used these sucsefully for traction applications & they are bat FAR the best sensorless start-up controllers I have used....comparied to all the HV hobbyking controllers & castle knock offs from abroad I have spent too much money on budget controllers that went POOF on the bench just testing under low loads.

that said, I have a Bunch of chard & stinky globs of material that used to be CCHV160's also...there is no "good" solution for your desire currently.

time to think outside the box & invent a waterproof hall sensor araingment so you ay enjoy the controller saving benifit of current controll the RC controllers don't offer.
my 1st thought is a flly encapsulated hall ring on 120 degree spacing as member "Don'tsendbubbamail" has on one of his builds.

after that i am outa ideas today..woa...we are off topic!

Thud said:
wow,
The only sensorless controllers I could possible recomend would be the Castle creation hv160's...that said, I have a Bunch of chard & stinky globs of material that used to be CCHV160's also...there is no "good" solution for your desire currently.

Which leads me to say that to beat the Castle you need something newer. Alien, etc.

Bigger amps, heat sink, etc. All things to recommend it, but is it enough? http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__25202__Turnigy_dlux_250A_HV_14s_60v_ESC.html

http://fliermodel.en.alibaba.com/product/1083580180-213626141/waterproof_brushless_ESC_16S_and_400A_for_rc_boat.html

I have one of these, but I have the 22s lipo 400A version.

But since the Rv100 motor and turnigy 45v motor has low resistance winding, I'm afraid to use it.....

I am still curious to how big the propellers you have tested are. Sure they from 4" to 11" pitch, but what size?
Are we talking model boat propellers or something like a propeller from a 2-4hp outboard motor, or even bigger?

Do the motors run well unloaded under water?

Sure the water provides alot of resistance but at least its not heavy right from the start, even if it rises quickly with rpm.
I have had model escs desync on various ebike applications when too much torque was asked from the setup,
the only esc that has served me without issues is the cc160.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=52861

So the last two controllers posted would need a BEC and a servo tester to work the throttle, at least by the only method I know of. Neither has one built in, though other types do. So if you're running 10s or higher, how to use a BEC that says 2-5s:

Anyone done it?

Rv100 45kv motor under water without prop is running fine, boat prop is a 10hp boat prop that normally spins about 2500 rpm on a stock 10hp outboard.
45 kv x 44v is about 2000 rpm and 11 pitch is too much, but also a simple minnkota trolling motor prop is giving the the same out of sync problems. Diameter I dont know

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/08/92/87/10/0008928710269_500X500.jpg

Maybe I need a smaller pitch and smaller diameter prop and maybe it can run more power at higher rpm. Or use the Boat ESC

Then my guess is that you are on the right track.
It would be intresting to see the results with a prop from say a 2hp or 4hp outboard.
They are pretty small.

I only have experience with the minnkota endura 50, and that prop is quite large diameter with seemingly low pitch.
Looks to be designed for low rpm higher torque motors.

I dont know how bad the controller you use now is at syncing but it seems strange if it cant handle a moderate amount of torque.
I would consider the revolt to be a pretty strong motor.

Just out of curiosity, what would people recommend for max continuous phase current and use temperature for these motors? Now that Lebowski supports temperature sensing I'm looking at using thermistors to push the performance envelope as far as I reasonably can without blowing something out or accidentally weakening the rotor magnets.

anyone heard from revolt recently? their site apperas to be deleted....

Hmm. I was just there two days ago, and the site was working OK.
But yeah, is is down for me too.

Maybe server maintenance, maybe hackers, maybe redesigning the whole site for the introduction of the 160 motor????

I hope it is the latter.

Back