Looking for recommendations for first e-bike

Hi! I just got a job with hours that start too early for me to catch the bus. Since I can't drive and my state (Washington, USA) does not require a license for an e-bike, I am planning to save up for one in the future.

However, I've become completely overwhelmed with all the options and haven't been able to figure out where to start. I searched through Amazon and other online retailers to look at options, but I can't figure out what would be a decent low-budget bike that won't fall apart.

I should note that I've always ridden cheap/free cast-off bikes from friends and craigslist people, so I don't care how fancy or comfortable it is.

Here is what I'm dealing with:

Budget: Ideally something $1000 or below. If it's not possible to get a bike at that price that's worth having, then I'm aiming for $1500 or below.
Desired max speed: I am not sure. I believe that 15 mph is the highest that I'd legally be allowed to go.
Preferred bike wheel size: No preference.
Brake type: No preference
Rider weight: 175 lbs
Terrain: Hilly with some flat stretches. Partially gravel, partially asphalt.
Weather: It's rainy half the year, normally mild winters with an occasional blizzard every few years.
Other: My current bike is not a good one, so I don't want to convert it. I don't know if it would be cheaper/less hassle to buy a prebuilt e-bike, or to get a good bike and convert it.

My daily commute will be about 8 miles one way, which will happen 5 days a week. If I can get a foldable bike, I think I could get by on something that gets between 10 and 15 miles per charge. Ideally I'd like to get one that can last 30 miles per charge, but I am okay skimping on that for a starter bike.

Thanks!

Have you read anything about the RadRover or RadMini ebikes? They might be a little out of your price range, but maybe a slightly used one or demo is available in your area. I think they are located in Washington state. www.radpowerbikes.com

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Huffy-26-Fortress-Men-s-Mountain-Bike-with-3-0-Plus-Tires-Blue/49058108
Or any 26" bike with steel dropouts.
Take your pick of these motor kits.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=48v1000w%20rear&LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc&LH_FS=1
A 10ah 12s rc lipo battery will get you ~20 miles at 20 mph. More if you go slower. Top speed will be ~28 mph. Find batteries on sale and you can get that for ~$100. If not, it may cost close to $200. A cheap 50.4V charger, $25 to $50. A cheap $3 voltmeter and you're in business. The motor kit should last a lifetime, and the rc lipo pack 15K miles or 5 years or more.

I second the Radmini, and it's in your home State, too. For $1500 new, I think it's a great deal. Been thinking about getting one myself, especially since they'll ship for free now.

YouTube video: https://youtu.be/OLsnGoyT3xg

Attachments

• radmini2.jpg
    radmini2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,524
CheeseBiscuit said:
I searched through Amazon and other online retailers to look at options, but I can't figure out what would be a decent low-budget bike that won't fall apart.

I should note that I've always ridden cheap/free cast-off bikes from friends and craigslist people, so I don't care how fancy or comfortable it is.
For your budget and preferences, I'd recommend buying a middrive (like the BBSxx types) and installing it on one of those bikes, because it will do what you want, deal with hills, and can be moved from bike to bike if you need to (like something expensive-to-fix breaks on the bike and it's easier/cheaper to start over).

If you shift gears to keep a middrive like those in it's optimum efficiency, it'll even save you power and make a smaller-capacity battery give more range than otherwise, by some portion.

If you also pedal, it'll extend range some amount, too (depending on a number of factors).

But hubmotors (direct drive or geared) also work--see Kingfish's builds here on ES; he lives up in the Seattle area.

I believe that 15 mph is the highest that I'd legally be allowed to go.
20MPH and 1000w is the limitation up there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws#Washington

I don't know if it would be cheaper/less hassle to buy a prebuilt e-bike, or to get a good bike and convert it.
Cheaper to convert an existing bike, less hassle (up-front) to buy premade.

My daily commute will be about 8 miles one way, which will happen 5 days a week. If I can get a foldable bike, I think I could get by on something that gets between 10 and 15 miles per charge. Ideally I'd like to get one that can last 30 miles per charge, but I am okay skimping on that for a starter bike.

The main thing is to be sure the pack you get not only handles the range you need, but can also supply the current (amps) the controller/motor will need at it's highest loading (like when climbing hills or starting from a stop).

You can always add a second battery later on, and you can also carry your charger with you to charge at your destination (while you work, for instance), if they're amenable to that.

Using a pre-built "commercial" encased pack (like "shark" or "dolphin" etc) is often more likely to be allowed than shrinkwrapped battery packs or ones with "obvious" DIY cases, but some places don't care (and will either allow or disallow it regardless of what it looks like).

(I park my very-DIY SB Cruiser trike in the breakroom at work and sometimes charge it there, though presently my pack is so large I don't need to recharge except once every couple weeks, if I felt like running it down that far.).

Absolutely do not buy a department store trash bike, as wesnewell advised. Nothing good can come of it. Really, not kidding. Get a good used bike instead and budget $100 for up front repairs and maintenance.

You are allowed to go faster than 15mph, but not faster than 20mph if you want to remain legal. You can have up to 1000 watts of motor power.

For what it's worth, right at this moment Luna Cycle has a 750W mid drive kit including battery on special for just under $800 including shipping. Not a bad way to meet your budget, assuming a low cost bike to start with. Understand that using a mid drive means having to do more maintenance on the chain and sprockets than if you use a hub motor.

The one exception to Chalo's rule, in my opinion, is the sturdy 7 speed steel frame beach cruiser. It will carry huge loads, like your panniers full of groceries, and a battery easily. Has decent brakes, and 7 gears is all you need.

Huffy, Schwinn, etc. DONT get the single speed, it will have no brakes when you change the rear wheel.

Why choose this bike over a used MTB? Fenders my man. You said rain. You can of course put mtb fenders on, but the full fender on the cruisers keep your feet dry. ( spray from the front wheel) MTB fenders do not.

$200 gets you this type bike new. cheaper still used if you can dig one up.

Cheap rear motor kit will do er, 36v 500w is plenty for the speeds you mention. And a 36v battery can cost less than 48v.

Up your budget to $1500 for the kit and battery, and you can afford the very best in kit and battery. If going for $1000, go cheap on the kit, and expensive on the battery. You need a reliable battery of sufficient size to get you to work every day.

I am not dissing the rad bikes. They are a very good value at a very good price. Not sure if they have one with the fenders or not.

The one I recommended is rated for more weight (300 lbs) than any beach cruiser I've seen. It has a longer wheel base and better rims than standard mtb's. The frame tubes are also bigger than most mtb or cruiser frame tubes. It's perfect to convert. Especially for heavier loads or more powerful motors.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80172

As you can see, lots of opinions. Here's mine: hilly ride - get the mid-drive as stated above and find a Craigslist bike for it; my preference would be one with a 68 mm bottom bracket. Flat terrain - Juiced Bikes Cross Current $1095 and buy some fenders, or if you're a DIY guy, a YES kit and Luna battery.

CheeseBiscuit said:
I've become completely overwhelmed with all the options and haven't been able to figure out where to start. I searched through Amazon and other online retailers to look at options,but I can't figure out what would be a decent low-budget bike that won't fall apart

that's because you're in the advanced class.
these kind of questions is exactly what this was set up to cater to.
◆bonus◆ it's free from toxic chalogens.

dogman dan said:
The one exception to Chalo's rule, in my opinion, is the sturdy 7 speed steel frame beach cruiser. It will carry huge loads, like your panniers full of groceries, and a battery easily. Has decent brakes, and 7 gears is all you need.

That's a good point. I do tell folks who are desperate to cheap out on a new bike that if they must buy a bike from a big box retailer, let it be a cruiser. There's simply not as much that can be wrong. Cheap one-piece cranks are much more reliable and serviceable than cheap 3-piece cranks, and heavy redundantly braced frames hold up well. They handle predictably and the wheels are never uselessly weak. I don't have a lot of contact with geared cruisers, but just adding one derailleur and V-brakes to the usual formula isn't likely to screw it up.

Cheap geared bikes have lousy rear axles, so a rear hub motor fixes that problem. But if the frame has an American/one-piece crank bottom bracket shell, then using some of the most popular mid drives is not possible without special machine work. So in light of both these things, I'd say a 7-speed cruiser goes well with a hub motor kit, but not a mid drive kit.

Dont forget
bikesdirect.com - http://bikesdirect.com/
which is one step up from the BSO's (Bicycle Shaped Objects) of department stores.
Unfortunately if you live outside the USA, you need to go the route of US Address mail forwarding which equates to more money shipping and shipping bicycles aint cheap. I have never done it, but I get the feeling its double the s/h. Unless you get free shipping from the seller, then eat the cost of forward shipping.

edit - But yeah you are in WA state, but for anyone else reading, its an option.

Good advice from Dogman Dan about spending more on getting a decent battery. After you ride for while you will find how slow 15 MPH is. At 15 mph on the street you will be a target for almost every driver on the road. I recommend you budget some money on safety equipment like lights and a helmet. Because of the terrain you plan to ride in, I would suggest a steel frame full suspension mountain bike if you plan to do your own conversion.

Back