• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Luke's new race bike build thread.

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever that someone would not support a very powerful electric bike. I would expect anything that shows up to a race would be highly modified, right to the edge of the rules set in place. Electric is somehow the underdog in events like this, when its honestly not that hard to make tons of power. People tend to act like electric anything can only be pathetically slow, and flawed by design, yet they impose artificial restrictions that do not apply to alternatively powered vehicles? Clearly, there needs to be SOME sort of restrictions, and it can be difficult to play fair. However, there should be no 'power' limit in electric. With a simple flash of the controller, most people can dial in any power level they want with electric. If you want to run 100KW, you should be free to do so. There should be other restrictions in place to ensure you don't have someone showing up with some outrageous bike nobody would remotely consider a bicycle, but thats it. Limit things like weight, make sure it has functional pedals that can actually move the bike without other assistance, possibly limit tire size to reasonable bicycle tires, etc...

It's always nice to see someone thats both knowledgeable, and capable make anything. Your latest creations are absolutely fantastic. It would have been nice if you had a little more time to test the bike out, dial it in to a point where it wouldn't explode... But I would rather see something dominate and shortly explode, rather than be crushed by the competition.

The only way to shut that troll up once and for all is to do it on the track... I really hope luke can get all the kinks out of his next build and make it bullit proof so he can go and wipe the trollsmirk right off that guys face. I dont even know who this guy is and frankly i dont care, his attitude and remarks are not the kind i wish to read scattered all over ES.

Requiring pedalling 100m in <1min (from a dead stop) should make weight a non-issue, it becomes it's own penalty. If that's deemed insufficient, simply reduce the time... if it's too restrictive, increase the time.

It might be interesting to see how fast Luke's bike can do the 100m under pedal-only power.

TylerDurden said:
Requiring pedalling 100m in <1min (from a dead stop) should make weight a non-issue, it becomes it's own penalty. If that's deemed insufficient, simply reduce the time... if it's too restrictive, increase the time.

It might be interesting to see how fast Luke's bike can do the 100m under pedal-only power.

We pedal it all around just fine with no assisit. It actually pedals easier than most typical direct drive hubmotor bikes.

I will put any of my E-bikes up against that one in a fully laden 5 mile human-only powered race :mrgreen: I'll even give you Lance armstrong against fat o'l me! (free rolling is a design parameter I subordinate to on all my bicycles).

Luke, you ever going to put a rear brake on that thing? No one(who is aware) is goig to let it on a track without a functioning rear brake. (even a shity one)

Thud said:
I will put any of my E-bikes up against that one in a fully laden 5 mile human-only powered race :mrgreen: I'll even give you Lance armstrong against fat o'l me! (free rolling is a design parameter I subordinate to on all my bicycles).

Luke, you ever going to put a rear brake on that thing? No one(who is aware) is goig to let it on a track without a functioning rear brake. (even a shity one)
The motor is the brake :wink:

Thud said:

It has a regen rear brake. I hate regen, but in a pinch it would get you stopped in a front brake failure situation or whatever.

What makes you think this bike is so tough to pedal? Its no worse than my twin HXT bike.

So luke are you happy you ditched Microsoft? You must realy feel like your life is just starting!!!

Arlo1 said:
So luke are you happy you ditched Microsoft? You must realy feel like your life is just starting!!!

Bro,taking a cut in pay to work helping the electric revolution was the best decision I ever made in life.

Also, as far as a career goes, MS can only die, while Electrics can only bloom and grow. Its a much better position. I'm driving off to Laguna Seca right now with Biff and 4 electric motorcycles and 2 electric bicycles. What could possibily be better?

Kick some a$$ for us maan!

LFP askes:
What makes you think this bike is so tough to pedal? Its no worse than my twin HXT bike.

Just giving you some chaff buddie. :mrgreen:

I never saw the old bike under pedal...I just know pedaling a direct drive set up & atiny 50mm turnigy sucked. I vowed to only have rear freewheeling that moment. & all my bikes since then only pay a weight penalty...there is no interferance fr0m any of the assit stuff hindering pedal function.

Seem's I recall some else pedaling your bike On your Canada trip....cause it was too big a turd under pedals for yourself. :lol:

I may be full of it, but I think I could beat a well conditioned cycleist pedaling your bike on any of mine with me on it!
o_O have we created a new race class! LOL.

Seriously though, get a rear brake on it.....some one will protest it & you will lose any argument regarding having a segrigated brake system.
Do you really think you can "compete" against = eqipment without a rear brake?

Honestly, I don't see any reason for the rear brake on Laguna Seca.

In tight stuff,an occasional stab to start oversteer can sometimes be helpful, but its not like this is dirt Thud, when I brake hard, my rear wheel lifts.

The only reason why I run a rear brake is to have SOMETHING if my front hydro fails for whatever reason. However, its regen only, the wheel is too bent to make pads work.

theRealFury said:
The only way to shut that troll up once and for all is to do it on the track... I really hope luke can get all the kinks out of his next build and make it bullit proof so he can go and wipe the trollsmirk right off that guys face. I dont even know who this guy is and frankly i dont care, his attitude and remarks are not the kind i wish to read scattered all over ES.

I couldn't agree more.

Take it easy today. Laguna Seca can put the hurts on you quick.

Alright then.
I guess you guys need a little more time chasing the stop watch to learn some "throttle on" braking techniques...(or attend a real racing school where they teach these "secrets" LOL (heal toe braking is not just for ralley driving).

Serously, anyone with = equipment & proper brakes will embarass a bike without it when the fight is on.

I have the most amazing go-pro footage.

Thud, I emailed you pics to your home address now, I was using your work address before.

I passed 7motorcycles in my first heat and only the mission motors and Brammo superbikes passed me!

The bicycle is tearing up motorcycles like toys!

:mrgreen:
quite simply amazing, i've missed a lot of whats going on being on shift but slowly catching up now, can't wait for the footage.
Go Luke!!!

D

Awesome Luke! You should act like you are pedaling when you fly by them! :twisted: We need videos of this shit man....

etard said:
Awesome Luke! You should act like you are pedaling when you fly by them! :twisted: We need videos of this shit man....

I did some courtesy pedaling while passing a motorcycle, but flying your legs around on the bike at 80mph is a little sketchy, pinching the frame with your legs for stability feels a hell of a lot Bette.r lol

videos... quickly... before i eat my own brain out of anticipation.

I'm hoping Thud or Amberwolf or KiM will host the pics I'm emailing...

picks & link to photos in events thread:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=29401

liveforphysics said:
I have the most amazing go-pro footage.

Thud, I emailed you pics to your home address now, I was using your work address before.

I passed 7motorcycles in my first heat and only the mission motors and Brammo superbikes passed me!

The bicycle is tearing up motorcycles like toys!

Priceless!

I bet you spent a lot less money making your bike than they did too. More bang for the buck!

Too cool Luke! I'm assuming your not allowed to pass to pass the Zero guys? :wink: I hope you have the GoPro mounted, Laguna Seca was always my favorite track on Gran Tourismo. Do they have a kart track?

etard said:
Too cool Luke! I'm assuming your not allowed to pass to pass the Zero guys? :wink: I hope you have the GoPro mounted, Laguna Seca was always my favorite track on Gran Tourismo. Do they have a kart track?

Nobody is safe. I mercilessly pass everyone that doesn't have the speed power and balls to stay ahead.

Back