Luke's race bicycle of Doom 2.0

Ypedal said:
for most of us " sane " people a bit of lube to help, but for luke's beast, dry and stiky is likely a good thing ! :lol:

KY is water soluble, so it drys to a tacky texture, unlike the waxes and oils I've seen other tire recommendations for.

I've pondered the tire slip issue, taken tires on and off a few times to see where the lube ends up. Lube ends up on the inner bead and outer rim where it is easily washed off, but not at the contact area between inner rim and bead. Even if lube gets into that contact area, the lube would have to get wetted to transition from tacky to slippery. I haven't been able to envision a way water would get forced in there with the pressure holding the bead against the rim. However, I can see how what has been effective for me with commuter bikes might not apply to race requirements.

-JD

Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock Rim lock rim lock

lol.

I'm trying glue on a new double-wall rim before going to a rimlock. lol

Great build Luke and +1 on the Sevcon major PITA to program :evil: glad you are running with a temp sensor, you could make that 2 stages, so a double warning with a bar mount override switch for that cut out 100ft from the finish line scenario.

I would imagine the tyre spitting off the rim is also a lot down to the wheel spinning and the tyre not spinning under load, I had this with the BMX just destroyed the thing super quick, rim adhesive is a very good call however you are right these tyres are just not designed for this however I know how much piss and vinegar the gassers threw about when they saw motorbike tyres on the last build, didnt they also question the motorcycle calliper and disc though? I hope the extension on the disc calliper mount doesnt put too much strain on the calliper eye bolt mounts, is that lower leg cast? mag alloy or steel?

If motor temps become an issue how about packing the motor pre race with some dry ice? might give you an extra minute of vital power before things get toasty :mrgreen: also they will think you have blown the motor when you start off with all of the steam coming out of it :twisted:

Try and remember the Gopro :) would love so see some more on board footage, all the best of luck with it Luke

Knoxie

GCinDC said:
Wheazel said:
Did you use the hookworms in earlier milder racesetups?
FYI: The bicycle tires became an issue early on...

yea. It does seem to be a crappy decision. What is wrong with safety anyway? However if a promoter wishes to stack the deck to insure a favored class to win, it is his/her choice.

Anybody that gets hurt under these rules might have grounds to sue :(

Yes, it is a shity world when everybody sues everybody.

nicobie said:
Anybody that gets hurt under these rules might have grounds to sue :(

Yes, it is a shity world when everybody sues everybody.

I would never sue anyone for anything, no matter how terrible of a thing they did. I'm not on earth here to be a part of the problem.

That said, it's time for a new set of tires (they are actually shredding apart in places), and they only lasted about 10miles, and at a much milder pace than track racing.

I don't mind if I have to change tires for every race, but I don't know if a set can hold together for 12 laps before shredding. I guess we will find out.

I would never sue anybody for me crashing on a bike I built because I had something I put together come apart! And If someone sued me for someone for shit like that I would just end their life, good luck enjoying the winnings when you are dead. I 100% believe against law suits in most cases and this is one! We don't need to consider shit like that because then MR nicobe we end up with no more places to ride...... GO frocking FIGURE! Besides all that the electric revolution is about not being greedy!! And not trying to steal money with law suits!

i agree completely, but just for the record, if anyone ends up in the hospital, god forbid, and an insurance company pays out a chunk of change, they're gonna look for negligence on any involved party, and depending on the claims build a case for it whether you want them to or not.

But, I could have used a pirelli scooter tire guys. I could have used the pirelli that holds up to many hundreds of miles of racing. I choose not to because of weight and not wanting to do a frame re-design. I'm also well aware that these bicycle tires are a serious safety hazard coming into this race, and I'm choosing to race on them knowing the danger of them, getting random flats, rolling off the bead randomly, shredding the tire carcass, and possibly delaminating.

I am fully aware that my choice to ride on a bicycle tire for a powered bicycle race is f*cking retarded. I would happily change to the pirelli's that I all ready bought and have wheels for if I had time to change the frame all around.

Also, I'm going out to win this entire event, all the bikes, and I do NOT want this win to be discounted by anything for any reason (like saying I won because of being on scooter tires).

My choice. My consequences. My name signed on the wavier that says I accept any damn thing can happen in any racing at anytime, including death etc. Totally fine with it.

For the future though, it seems like an extremely reckless rule to limit anything a racer wants to do to make the racing safer.

Good luck and God Bless ya Luke!

You're one crazy frocker! :lol:

I wish I had half your guts, but I'm not smart enough to get away with the stuff you do, everything is a calculated risk, but wow, I hope it all works out for you, and you & the rest of the ES crew win big out there! :mrgreen:

Ypedal said:
for most of us " sane " people a bit of lube to help, but for luke's beast, dry and stiky is likely a good thing ! :lol:
Normal hand soap is good for fitting tires, Slippery when wet and when it drys its goes tacky like a very weak glue ...

Wow, I'm guessing that's either a "read only" section or a typical post where Safe is talking to himself? :oops: :p :lol:

Just look at the name.. Safe, why would you want to be that??!! How BOORING ! LOL!

Bicycle of doom lives! It is in transit to the track. About 7hrs of driving to go.

WHoo Hoo!! Sounds great Luke! Good Luck and keep the shinny side up! :mrgreen: :twisted: :twisted:

Yes! Good luck!!!!

Back