Luna in Australia

Rodney64

100 kW
The first Luna cycle frame in Australia is in Perth.

I'm planning on riding this bike on Perth beaches so I've decided on 2 wheel drive.

My Luna as it is at the moment.

2 MXUS motors
24 inch rims, the rear has a Bermaster tyre 3 inch and a 4 inch 24 inch fat bike tyre on the rear.
2 adaptto controllers
16s 7p battery made with Samsung 25r cells.

Still need to wire both motors fit the battery and controllers.

Wow Rodney, awesome beast. I've always liked the look of these Lunas.
I need to pay your shed a visit some time, many lovely toys.
I acually rang you the other day to talk motors/controllers.
We should get a ride happening during this beautiful weather.
Two days ago I bought Paul's (Timma) carbon fibre modded Norco Aline frame and wheels with a 8T Mac, just building that ATM.
Cheers,
Matt.

I have installed my battery wired up my BMS and fitted a kickstand.

Now all I need to do now is soldier bullets to the motor phase and soldier on the halls to the adaptto plug and fit a key switch.

I like to be mentally prepared for this so I'll do this on Friday. I'm working Wednesday and Thursday.

I have decided to mount the mini.e on top of the battery.

I need to make up a aluminium plate so I can mount to the bike then bolt to the controller.
I'll use these threaded lugs to secure the mini.e controller

The plans to use the mini.e on the front and tomount the max.e behind the battery for the rear motor.

I look around tomorrow for some alumium plate and the tap the frame behind the battery so I can bolt the max.e on.
I have placed the Adaptto screen in front of the handlebar. It fits well there.

The bikes looking real awesome and all I need to do now is change the seat. It's real bad.
Another thing that I also want to do is make up some no flat inserts. So I'll see what I can find.

The bike as it looks currently

Damn, I wish I had people to ride with. Jealous. I get to ride with pops about 3 times a year, other than that, solo. Or Hyena flies in and we get a ride in that way.

Finally I have my Luna running and it feels good. its a solid bike and it feels solid too ride.

At the moment i only have the front motor running.

I still need to fit the key switch, and wire up the rear motor, then program the controllers, 2 wheel drive, which is new to me.

I have the rear derailer working and have 6 gears.

I still need to purchase a seat, and im thinking of purchasing the Mr Toughy liners for 4 inch fat tyres. They're expensive and im not sure how well they work.

Perth Beach, north of hillarys

The bike performed well even in the water.

NIcely done Rod, that looks like a hoot to ride on the beach. I imagine those fat tires work well in the soft loose sand.

Nice work, that will be a blast to ride. I'm working one a luna frame a bit different setup than yours, can't wait to get it running.

I need to get the rear motor running Rick. But its going well on the sand ill post a vid when i have both motors running.

Today i made up a small plate to bolt the controller too. I have installed it infront of the seat.

Rodney I've been on an ES hiatus til i got some work done - great to come back to this. Well done!

Samd said:
Rodney I've been on an ES hiatus til i got some work done - great to come back to this. Well done!
Thanks Sam. Alot has changed since starting this project as i origionally purchased the bike for riding the munda biddi trail. But since then ive been made redundant and dont have any leave at my new job.
So any trips will be a couple of years away.
But in the mean time more battery, paniers and plenty of riding to iron out any issues will be the go..

I have made up a fixing plate to secure the first controller

I have also installed a switch to turn the controller on and off. This may change too a key switch but it looks good.

The next plan is to cover all the cables with somthing like this, https://www.google.com.au/search?q=electrical+cable+protectors&espv=2&tbm=isch&imgil=cyZRMwAwFJE3tM%253A%253BZeVkxzeyCIo_GM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.waytekwire.com%25252Fproducts%25252F1467%25252FWire-Coverings%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=cyZRMwAwFJE3tM%253A%252CZeVkxzeyCIo_GM%252C_&usg=__4wy7vjPW7vHsVm5NFpUKHlwoy14%3D&biw=1366&bih=667&ved=0ahUKEwiA6snejsXLAhUMmJQKHaNNBqEQyjcIZw&ei=LUXpVsCfIoyw0gSjm5mICg#imgrc=cyZRMwAwFJE3tM%3A

Rix said:
Any updates Rod?

I have been working on the bike over the past few days as I have had some time off work. Just been in this new job for 7 months and had time off to go out on the weekend. Yes Im working shifts now so work every second weekend. I haven't worked shifts for years, been on days the past 15 years, on call (mobile) and now im just starting to adjust to this new job.

One of the things that I have fixed is the disc brakes. They were rubbing on the disc. So I removed the calliper and with the brake with the pads removed found that the buttons on either side were not centred. So its working now the way they should and not rubbing.

I am waiting on a BMS to come from greentime for the battery that I Built. I never managed to get the adaptto one to work properly. it would have been my mistake as I ovioulsly didnt wire it up correctly.
So I have been using a small 52 volt that I purchased from Luna cycle until I get my new BMS. The bike at the moment has about a 10 KM range. Went riding today with my wife and she left me for dead on the Ellsworth with the BBSHD kit.

Edit: how the bikes looking now.

And with the rest of the stable.

Back