• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Micro Chargers - Kids Toy

adrian_sm

1 MW
Just bought my kid one of these cool little toys called Micro Chargers.

They are tiny electric cars, that race around a little track. You simply charge up a capacitor across a tiny DC motors leads, that then friction drives the sidewall of an oring wheel with the motor axle. Runs off a couple of AAA batteries.

Check them out:Micro_charger.jpg

micro-chargers-toy-cars_06.jpg

draft_lens19720339module161301775photo_1346018065-a--a_0.jpg

I didn't get it at first, but now I do. The batteries are in the launcher thingy. Looks fun.

I've had a question in the back of my mind for a long time.Capacitors (ultracaps) can charge/discharge VERY fast. But, they don't hold much volume of Ah, so a large ultracap bank would have short range.

The batteries in the handheld charger charge up the caps in the tiny car. When the caps are discharging to the tiny motor, what keeps them from dumping the charge in 1/2 second? What slows down the discharge of caps so the cap-charge can last the 5 seconds needed to get around that track once?

Resistance in the motor windings? a resistor inline with the motor circuit? I apologize in advance for the EE newbie questions...

spinningmagnets said:
I've had a question in the back of my mind for a long time.Capacitors (ultracaps) can charge/discharge VERY fast. But, they don't hold much volume of Ah, so a large ultracap bank would have short range.

The batteries in the handheld charger charge up the caps in the tiny car. When the caps are discharging to the tiny motor, what keeps them from dumping the charge in 1/2 second? What slows down the discharge of caps so the cap-charge can last the 5 seconds needed to get around that track once?

Resistance in the motor windings? a resistor inline with the motor circuit? I apologize in advance for the EE newbie questions...

Motor resistance, and the fact it's only being charged to ~2.7vdc are what enable it to discharge over a period of many seconds. What's interesting though, is I bet the scale distance traveled on that ultra-cap is not far off of what a real full sized EV car powered by ultra caps giving the same percentage of volume and weight to it's ultra-cap packaged in the chassis would travel in scale miles.

Just replace the ICE putt putt go karts in Disneyland with this concept. Zoom around and enjoy the sights until you encounter you next charging area. Then zip around the next sight unto the next charge. I doubt the big mouse would allow them on the magic mountain ride though with it's loops and tight turns, but that would be a freaking blast! :p

Hey guys,
Reviving this old thread as I've just purchased some of these for my son (not for dad at all.... I swear! :p)

No problems so far but we are considering a few more sets/expansions to extend the track and some of the online reviews particularly on the FB page have me a little worried.

It seems a ridiculously common problem that the cars will not hold charge or make it far around the track after a short time of use. Has anyone had any long term luck with these toys?

Seeing its only the cap powering it what do you guys recon the problem would be? Motor burning out maybe? Seems most likely but so far ours don't get what id consider worryingly hot.

I suppose some hair or something caught around the wheel may be all it takes to overload the motor but thought id throw the questions out there and see if any experienced micro chargers uses have any ideas.

Cheers guys :)

While I know nothing about the cars, many years ago my lad bought me a very small indoor rc helicopter, it too ran from a cap that was charged by docking the heli on the controller for a few minutes. It had quite a respectable run time of several minutes flying yet weighed next to nothing. I shall have to dig it out, I wonder if it would carry a tiny lipo receiver cell?

That would be an interesting idea for the newer cars that use electric power when starting from a stop to accelerate the car to speed to save on gas. Use big capacitors in place of batteries and have the capacitors get topped off from an alternator or something as the car drives around in between stops.

As to the question about the cars not making it around the track after a few uses, you would think that the makers of the toy would've realized if the cars had bigger diameter wheels it would increase the travel and speed of the cars so they could make it all the way around the track.

lbz5mc12 said:
As to the question about the cars not making it around the track after a few uses, you would think that the makers of the toy would've realized if the cars had bigger diameter wheels it would increase the travel and speed of the cars so they could make it all the way around the track.

True, but the motor shaft just contacts the front tire. It slips as it is so I highly doubt you could go much bigger diameter wheels without changing the motor too. IMO the wheel size is about perfect for the tracks, speed and run time. They are pretty zippy already....

I sort of answered my own question today too. A little bit of carpet fluff and that was the end of them. A few very fine stands is all it takes to get them crawling. Cleaned out and they are back to normal. Think we might pull the trigger on some more track :mrgreen:

after 3 years its now discharge could someone here know how to fixed it? or ill just replace the capacitors?
when i put it in the launcher it still runs but it does not charge up anymore so it wont power to run in the track

i collected many of these and my son wanna play it again.. he will be sad if these small toys are not running in the track anymore i hope some one can help for my sons sake

Back