Mixed control modes?

Spincake

1 µW
I'm not too satisfied with all of the ebike control modes I have tried so far:
  • I had a foldable electric bike that had a duty cycle based control loop, and a PAS sensor: If you pedal, it goes to one of three maximum speeds.
    • - It was terrible to drive away from traffic lights, as it would only respond after a second or two, and it was difficult to cycle with others.
    • + It was very low effort to cycle at said speeds
  • I have now replaced its controller with a Flipsky 6.7, controlling based on current, and the bottom bracket with a Bafang torque sensor (SR PA211.32.ST.C):
    • + Driving away from traffic lights is great (though it's a compact bike and pulling wheelies can be a bit annoying)
    • + It's lots of fun
    • - It's difficult to finetune the torque curve in a way that allows maximum torque when I need it, but still respond lightly enough to maintain a certain speed. In practice I'm accelerating up to maximum speed, not pedaling for a while, and reaccelerating again
    • - Needs a lot of smoothing to smooth out the individual pedal strokes the sensor reads, which makes it slow to stop applying current as well.
  • I have an electric grandpa bike (Dutch brand) that has a smarter PAS sensor control loop
    • + You can easily end up at desired speed
    • - It doesn't assist a whole lot, and it's pretty inconsistent in when it does
So what I'm looking for is a controller / control mode that accelerates quickly from traffic lights, allows easily maintaining a certain (non-max) speed without having to put in a lot of effort, and stops the motor as soon as I stop pedaling.

I'm in the Netherlands, and would need to have it legal (<=250 watt output power, motor only works when you pedal, maximum assisted speed of 25km/h).

Is there such a thing? Should I DIY electronics to gather all the sensor data myself, to output it to a controller? Are there others with the same problem?

I'd love to hear!
- David

Not an expert, but the KT (Ketung) brand controllers are regularly recommended in the pedelec.uk forum as they offer fuller control via setup parameters allowing different types of power control/application (speed or power control) and how Immediate assistance input is applied.
Speed limits and assistance/throttle only when pedals are rotated are easy to set to comply with regs.. the Display manuals which detail the settings and options are in a special Chenglish language that can take 2,3x or more read throughs and I found the only way to set the pas sensor type was through trial and error after failing to understand the manual .. but being popular if you do get stuck many people use them and can help ..

KTLCD-3 MANUAL

Back