"Momentum" badged "8FUN" controller

elebike momentum controller.pngI have a Momentum Electric Model-T Hall effect sensor brushless wheel and controller from a written-off electrice bicycle. The controller has 8Fun stamped on the back. I can see which are the cables for the motor and display and there are two paralleled plugs with red and black wires which I think are for lights.

I don't know how the battery pins are wired and I don't know what the connections for the cable that goes into the bottom bracket are for. It presumably contains the pedal assist sensor (PAS). I'd like to know what the wires are for and even better, to replace the PAS with a throttle if possible. Momentum Electric haven't responded to my email. Any ideas?

I have a controller marked LSW669-16 X100-7011-816 and CE:G3M20211-1592-16 on which the battery, motor and display cables are obvious and there is a 6 wire cable to the Wuxing S29X-DX throttle and display which has three battery level LEDs and a big red button.

There are also:
a medium sized white plug with a green and a black wire which connects to a socket with paralleled 1m and 1.7m wires - I'm guessing this is for lights.
a small black plug with red, black and blue wires. A very dubious guess might be that the black plug might be for a pedelec sensor and the red button is to switch between throttle and pedelec.
Any comments about what these wires really do?
3WireControllerS.png

I have a controller from a crashed bicycle. The battery, motor and display cables are obvious, as are the two small connectors for lights. There is one remaining cable which was ripped out of the bottom bracket with red/black/grey/brown wires ending in a small white plug plus green and yellow bare wires.

Some of this is probably for a pedelec sensor, there might be something spare for the alternative of a throttle. I don't think pedelec sensor control is very safe so would prefer a throttle if I can adapt this. Any ideas what these six wires are?
momentumControllerS.png

Pedelec is a good guess for one of the plugs. Sometimes a two plug wire is an on off switch, sometimes its a brake cut off, sometimes its a two speed switch for high power or low power, sometimes its a thermistor connection, again an on off switch, sometimes its power to a light. Its not self learn plugs, those are one wire plugs that connect to each other. High low plugs often like that too.

The big red button could be on off, or high low, or lights on off, etc.

There are guys here that can tell you exactly what stuff is, when they see where the wires attach to the board inside, and what the label is on the board.

My best guess,, the white plug is brakes cut off, and the black plug is pedelec. If lights, it would be 36v or whatever. Brake cut off or pedelec will be 5v. Take a voltmeter and see what the power is on each plug.

Unfortunately there are hundreds with different wiring. I'm hoping there are some common colours which someone will recognise. If all else fails I will try it without the unknown wires - and if that doesn't work open it and hope someone can work it out from the components on the PCBoard.

If it was from a pedelec-only bike, it probably does not have any way to control it via a throttle, without some external equipment you'd have to design and make.

If you know which type of PAS it uses, and what that signal should be, you can use something like the arduino nano to read a throttle voltage, and output a compatible PAS signal proportionally.

But if it was a bike that had a display, this controller may not operate as desired without that display. Getting another to work with it may not be easy or possible, as both communication protocols and specific responses / etc are not standardized, so it can be tough to find a good display/controller match. Even with the same brand and apparent model of controller and/or display, two of them from different bikes or different companies may well not work together as expected (I have a few examples of this myself).

WIthout a display, ccontrollers may default to the lowest assist settings, etc. Some of them will not even turn on without the display, though most of them can use two wires in the display cable to bypass that. (battery positive, and whcihever wire is Keyswitch Ignition (ksi). The other wires are usually battery negative (ground), and two data lines tx and rx that are 5v-only lines and can destroy the controller if hooked up even briefly to battery power).

Realistically, as much as I myself like recycling and hacking things, ;) unless you have a specific need for this controller, it's going to be easier and cheaper to get a controller kit that has everything together, or a controller you know will work with the other things you already have (if you have anything else yet).

But if you do want to use it, you may need to open it up and see if any of hte pads on the board inside have markings next to the wires that are for the external cabling. Those may help you determine which wires you need to use, and which you can leave hanging.

Regarding PAS control being safe, that depends on how it is implemented and whether you have ebrake cutoffs installed, and where and how you ride. Potentially also the power level of the bike, but a controller that small it doesn't really matter. ;)

amberwolf said:
But if it was a bike that had a display, this controller may not operate as desired without that display.
You've made some good points about this, but since I have the display it isn't a problem.
20211106_155457.jpg
you may need to open it up and see if any of hte pads on the board inside have markings
I've done that, but unfortunately it's potted (it's encased in a lump of epoxy resin or similar).
If it was from a pedelec-only bike, it probably does not have any way to control it via a throttle, without some external equipment you'd have to design and make.
It might just need a simple 5V pulse which could be supplied reasonably easily by However it is looking unlikely that I will be able to do get the information about what is needed.
Realistically...a controller you know will work with the other things you already have
It would be a pity to abandon this one, which is very compact and has a neat display. However I agree with you that much as I dislike throwing things away, I will probably have to. This part of the system is probably the least expensive so it isn't really a big deal. I have another one (see my other thread) which I am more confident of getting to work.
Regarding PAS control being safe
As a motorcyclist I am perfectly capable of using a throttle and would far prefer it. I have ridden a friend's PAS bike, I was doing a U-turn and was going a bit too slowly, so pedalled a little - the power came in and nearly threw me off... I think the PAS is there because the authorities don't think people are capable of using a throttle - ridiculous with brake cut-offs and even without them people would only forget to reduce throttle once. It's interesting that the scooters on trial here obviously don't require pedalling!

ChrisOfBristol said:
You've made some good points about this, but since I have the display it isn't a problem.
That's good. Including details like that when you first post questions makes it easier for us to give you relevant and useful help without wasting your time. ;)

I've done that, but unfortunately it's potted (it's encased in a lump of epoxy resin or similar).
That's uncommon, but can be defeated. There are a few threads about dissolving various potting compounds, but if it is silicone rather than epoxy you'll probably have to pick it out (dental tools work well for this, but take a lot of time and patience). Most of the solvents won't harm the electronics or wiring, but some do damage wiring insulation so wiring may have to be replaced afterward (probbably not). It can take some time (days, sometimes weeks) for the solvents to work, however.

If you do have to get a new controller, I recommend getting a complete kit that is already setup to work together (not all "kits" are even wired up to connect out of the box and have to be hacked to connect all the pieces!). If you already have a motor you want to use, or other parts, but get a new controller and display, it's pretty likely you'll have to change connectors on one or another part of the system to hook it all up.

What power level are you looking for? (meaning, what do you want the bike to do, specifically?)

As a motorcyclist I am perfectly capable of using a throttle and would far prefer it. I have ridden a friend's PAS bike, I was doing a U-turn and was going a bit too slowly, so pedalled a little - the power came in and nearly threw me off...
Sounds like that was one of the (many) poor PAS implementations. Unfortunately there are a lot of them.

On my SB Cruiser, using the Cycle Analyst v3 as a mediator between the control inputs and the motor controllers, I'm able to completely control the power via PAS so that doesn't happen. I also have a throttle, but because of intermittent hand problems I prefer to control it via pedalling (as a lifetime bicycle rider it's natural to me). (I have also built setups with throttles only, including with a separate throttle for each motor wheel, and they work fine too).

With poor PAS implementations, which are very common on cheap OEM bikes and cheap kits, a throttle would be "safer" for the typical rider than the simple on/off control (often with serious delay in response time) that the poor PAS implentations give.

Some have multiple power levels set thru the display or a control on the handlebars, but still use the PAS only to turn full power on once pedals have rotated a certain amount and turn it off once they stop moving long enough. Those are better than the ones with no level control at all, but are no safer because they still give no control over power via pedalling, which is NOT how a bicycle works, so anyone used to riding one will not be able to control it instinctively, and may never be able to fully control the system in unexpected situations.

Some PAS implementations only require pedalling to activate the system, but control is done via throttle. THat's usually just a nod to legal requirements.

Others have complete power control via PAS, either via cadence or torque or a combination of both. (this is how the CAv3 can work)

Unforunately many (most?) of the systems that don't come with a throttle already are not capable of using one. (not without creating intermediate hardware, and even then will not behave like a controller that has direct throttle control built in). As noted previously, if it does have a proportional PAS control, rather than on/off control only, then you could use a Nano or similar to read the throttle voltage, and then output the (probably cadence) signal needed by the PAS input to use this to control motor power / speed (whichever it does).

With the CAv3, there *are* certain limitations to it's operation, some of which are intended as safety features but unfortunatley aren't optional. I started a thread for Nano Tidbits projects to work around some of these, but have yet to get back to it to finish anything due to life interruptions. But it works fine for most applications, once the user has tuned it to their specific needs and system. It won't turn a throttle signal into a PAS signal, but it does do the opposite.

amberwolf said:
That's good. Including details like that when you first post questions makes it easier for us to give you relevant and useful help without wasting your time. ;)
I didn't mention the controller because it wasn't relevant to my question which was:
"Some of this is probably for a pedelec sensor, there might be something spare for the alternative of a throttle. I don't think pedelec sensor control is very safe so would prefer a throttle if I can adapt this. Any ideas what these six wires are?"

Back