Morons in loud trucks

silviasol

10 kW
Seems where I live now so many people have stupid trucks with lift kits, rims, plastic stick on junk and loud exhaust. What makes a person want a loud exhaust and have a truck that looks like something a class clown middle school kid thinks is cool? How stupid can you be to drive it every day knowing you never once used it for it's intended purpose, annoy everyone every person in homes you drive by, what could you possibly want in one? Then whenever they meet someone just hope they forget being annoyed by them. Why the law allows people to do this crap to vehicles to the point it allows anyone to cause a disturbance for a few hundred dollars is just stupid.

Often, the point, apparently, *is* to annoy everyone around them, to say "look at me, I'm an asshole, don't you love it?!" :(

There's little of the engine noise stuff around here, but plenty of ground-shaking, house-breaking, migraine-inducing sound systems in cars and trucks, who not only drive them around at all hours of the day and night at full blast, but also like to park them, open up all the doors/etc., then go inside their homes and *close* all their *home's* doors/windows, leaving the sound system playing at full blast for hours.

Police will do nothing, despite the laws, and when confronted about that actually defend the rights of these people to destroy their neighborhood with thundering bass vibrations. Asking the people themselves not to do this doesnt' work--results in anything from being ignored to actual threats of violence and death.

BTW, it's just about certain that the law where you are does *not* allow them to disturb the peace, so you could check with your local law enforcement about it. But it's also just about certain that they arent' going to *enforce* those laws, or that they will actually harrass *you* instead, just because you are asking them to do their jobs.

It's a fine line between music and noise, there's just as many kinds of both. Engine noise can be cool, but exhaust noise is usually as bad as exhaust fumes. Lots of people drive V6 "muscle" cars which really sound stupid IMO.
Sub woofers sound muddy to me, I prefer music loud and clear with a crisp and defined bass but not a with a tinny midrange.
Citywheelers that never get any mud on them are just a waste of machinery.

The problem I have with the bass on these things is that the volume controls are labelled in Richter increments, and that for blocks around it, it literally shakes the ground, walls, windows, etc., as well as the insides of my body and head.

Often enough I'll be laying in bed sleeping, and wake up wondering why someone has started kicking the bed...only to fully wake and get up to find that someone a couple of blocks away has their vehicle's sound system set to "earthquake".

Motorcyclists are the same way.

City can and do pass bylaws, but enforcement is little to non, plus authorities cant measure it easily without a dedicated device which should be in the vehicle, and they should be trained. Then a cool $250 fine, and repeat offenders get it tripled each and every time. What they should do is take the vehicle off the road and impound it but that will never happen.

And Ive been talking to some moron associates of mine that say that loud pipes saves lives, but they don't really believe that, its just a reason for them to fit them and have an excuse for them to annoy others while they think it sounds cool

Loud bikes might save lives. There's no excuse for a loud car. Anyone who sets their subwoofer to 'earthquake' needs to be tied to a very large weather balloon.

I drive a one ton Dodge duel wheel diesel when I'm not on my ebike. Yes it's loud but that is the sound of power. Enough power to pull my RV trailer all the way around this country. Call me a moron if you like but I call it using the right tool for the job.

I don't know about the OP, but to me trucks that are loud because they are large and hauling heavy stuff are not the problem (unless they're deliberately being driven around residential neighborhoods in the dead of night when there are other routes to take, just so they can use the noise to wake people and cause disturbances).

I think the problem is vehicles that have been modified specifically to make more noise, not actually to use any extra power that might come from that, but just to make the noise, just so they can cause the disturbances.

There are a fair number of people that like to do that sort of thing, and not only don't care what it does to anyone else, but actually want other people to suffer fro it while they have their "fun".

Some of them don't necessarily want others to suffer, but they don't care enough about anyone other than themselves to think about the consequences of their actions, and often enough cant' understand how what they do could possibly cause a problem for anyone, when they are advised of the problem.

Large trucks are fine. Any kind of large engine with the correct exhaust is never a problem. It is the trucks that must have every available inch of extra pipe fitted with glass packs. They seem to want enough glass packs to still get a good amount of annoying noise at low rpm's. I want to flag one of these loosers down when they drive by my house and ask exactly how loud it is if they rev it in neutral. Probably sound like a broken engine engine or something very wrong with it just very loud. I know there are some areas that ticket that stuff. A guy I worked with had a civic with one of those exhausts with the rear pipe 8 or 10 inches or something. He said he had it tested to comply with the noise regulation and he got tickets anyways, had to remove it eventually.

A while ago I saw a ram with a "Don't dodge it ram it" large emblem on the back with a fat chick driving it with the loud exhaust. Made me laugh.

I don't know why it's legal either. My wife has taken to calling the 'report a smoking car' line and sending pictures of coal rollers exhaust belches.. it turns out that these tips she sends actually result in violations, which is good.

I don't know why the highway patrol doesn't handle the problem when they see it and give citizens an option to report it or not though. It's not like highway patrol doesn't see the occasional black cloud belcher flying along the highway.

We can expect our EPA to continue to get gutted even worse these days under trump.. one can only hope for the same kind of oil price hikes that killed the hummer. We are rather vulnerable to such a thing and the Saudis know it... i think we'll see a repeat of 2008 under Trump.

Hwy89 said:
I drive a one ton Dodge duel wheel diesel when I'm not on my ebike. Yes it's loud but that is the sound of power. Enough power to pull my RV trailer all the way around this country. Call me a moron if you like but I call it using the right tool for the job.

Well, to be technical, it is kind of dumb, environmentally speaking, to pull a trailer all the way around the country when you could just rent one at your destination.

There's a really simple solution here nobody has mentioned. Go live among wealthier people. They won't be down with loud trucks although some might have loud exotic cars or bikes. Problem solved and you get all the other advantages of a more expensive neighborhood. :D

anoNY42 said:
Hwy89 said:

Well, to be technical, it is kind of dumb, environmentally speaking, to pull a trailer all the way around the country when you could just rent one at your destination.
I understand what you're saying and yes I hate burning all that diesel fuel but the logistics of renting places to stay on an extended road trip would be impracticle.
In the last 12 months we have gone from SoCal to British Columbia to the coast of Maine to the Gulf of Mexico and back to California. Wherever we stop we use our bikes to explore the local area. Great trip and lots of amazing bike trails.
My apologies to those who may have been offended by my loud truck.

Diesel runs cleaner doesnt it, plus its better for idling because it uses dramatically less fuel.
Im not offended by trucks that are not overly loud, but people who go out of their way to make them loud are annoying. I know this one guy, has a mega cab dodge jacked up, he is a plumber so he uses the bed a lot. He is not tall at all, I'd say below average if average is 6' he is 5'7", often I wonder how he gets in it.

The Caglary Auto Show starts tomorrow, I always hop in the vehicles to get a feel for head room and leg room. I like the new Nissan diesel trucks.

You can actually buy fiberglass RVs that are not only more durable than regular RVs, but also come in at 2000-3000lbs and typically have aerodynamic shapes.
You could tow one with a small truck or SUV and see mpg numbers on the 20's on the highway. It's been done before.

Gas is so cheap here that nobody really seems to care and will readily spend the remnants of their paycheck on wasteful toys like these trucks. In Utah, it seems like half the cars you see on the highway are big trucks with one person in it commuting to work. When asked why they drive such a large vehicle, these people will usually say 'because of my motorbikes' or 'because my RV' etc, yet the truck is being used to get a few bags of groceries or transport 1 person back and forth to work 99.9% of the time.

It's just nuts if you ask me.

markz said:
Cow Balls hanging off the hitch
So that's why you never see cows with balls! :lol:

Just came back from the auto show. I liked the Chevrolet Acadia SUV, had lots of room above my head and at the left shoulder in the drivers seat. The Dodge Ram mega cab did not have operating power to the seats, neither did the Toyota nor Fords sections. I liked the Infinity Q80 last year, but they are frocking ugly. I'd go with the Mega Cab for towing if it truely had more space in the back then Ford or GMC/Chev. The Toyota Tundra had tons of room, also the Nissan Titan which has a diesel. Mustang I could git, 6'4", but was too far back.

I'd say WHEN I win the lottery I'd buy the Dodge Ram Mega Cab 4x4 that is customized by slightly extending the Mega Cab even more, and hiding it behind a fast back style thingy kinda of like what the Avalanche's have some call them wedges that sit behind the cabs rear glass on the sides of the bed. I call it fast back. That would be my mid duty hauler, while the heavy hauler would be a Top Kick C7500 4x4 crew cab.

If i won the lottery, i'd go retire early to a country or area in the USA that is easy to walk/bike around and ditch cars entirely.

Cars are for getting to work when the weather is too foul or the distance is too long... if you had a million dollars and lived a frugal lifestyle, you could be free from having to work today, and the rest of your days..

neptronix said:
If i won the lottery, i'd go retire early to a country or area in the USA that is easy to walk/bike around and ditch cars entirely.

Serious question, where would you choose? This working man is about out of patience with living the rat race.

Phoenix, AZ, (and surrounding cities) is flat, sunny almost all year (meaning pretty hot in the summer :( ), and almost anything you commonly need to get to is somewhere within 5 miles of wherever you are, 10 at the most.

There's disadvantages to everywhere, so from what I can tell there's no better or worse place, and is the main reason why I have stayed here, besides having found a spot I mostly like (since I wouldn't be able to afford a plot of land anywhere large enough to be far enough from other people that I wouldn't be assaulted by their bass noise, as it can be felt for many blocks, sometimes up to a half mile to 3/4 of a mile away or more with the earthquake-level ones).

Kneelb4ZOD said:
Loud bikes might save lives

Possibly, maybe, but there are so many who will use this phrase as a reason to fit noisy pipes, I live in suburban populated corner house and too many times I hear bikes make an almighty racket just to reach 60 or 40mph

Its a myth that bikers tell themselves to justify the "Look at me" syndrome that makes them an asshole, and more of a reason to crank up the tunes in your vehicle, then when you run em over you dont feel regretful.

Back