MOVIE NITE

Dauntless said:
Well, I'll start with what B movie REALLY meant, at least originally. As someone who studied Film/TV in community college, Cal State, even UCLA, that really relates.

The name B movie came about when there was a really active producer at one of the studios whose last name started with 'B.' Couldn't find his name online.

Larry Buchanan?

But also:
The actual technical definition is that a b-movie was the second movie on a double bill.

Seen here:
http://www.bmoviecentral.com/bmc/bmc-articles/145-what-exactly-is-a-b-movie.html

:)

Not Buchanan. This was someone at a major studio making high quality films at cutrate prices. Actually his films bore no relation to what we now call the B movie. There's all sorts of arguing about what it should mean, but before there was the name B movie there were 'Poverty Row Pictures.' These were companies that were outside the system yet still a small yet full fledged studio making really, or should I say REELY, small budget fan service films. They might make as many as a major and more than a minimajor, but the budgets might be less than 10%. The term B movie wasn't in use.

Prior to 'Stagecoach,' Republic Pictures kept John Wayne busy, as they did Gene Autry and Roy Rogers. They claimed to make a film in a month - Project chosen on the first Monday and off the write the script which is approved on Friday. The second Monday begins preproduction, the third Monday starts a week of shooting. They're already editing at the end of that week, but the fourth Monday they have to kick it into high gear, because the following Friday they're supposed to be done.

Just another example of the destructiveness of government intervention and breaking up "Monopolies," it was the forcing the studios to give up ownership of theaters that put all but Republic out of business, as the theaters that couldn't get major studio product were then competing for that and didn't need the Poverty Row studios anymore.

Oh, the closest thing to Poverty Row I can think of now is the Asylum. They started out making these 'Goth Softcore' movies, but they moved on to low budget knockoffs of the upcoming major releases. Literally in the theater at the same time as 'Transformers,' 'Battleship,' 'The Day the World Ended,', etc. was 'Transmorphers,' 'American Warships,' 'The Day the World Stopped. . . .'

Oh the subject of a B movie being produced as part of a double feature, those were often shorts, perhaps 3 reelers, but still professionally at the level of the main film.

Anytime you ever see these writeups about B movies they're always using it in the context so many do today. But that's not the original meaning of the term.

So getting to that 'Look' of the film that seems the frame rate is wrong or something. Things that contribute to a film not looking "Right":

If you use a cheap or badly maintained movie camera, the "Registration" of the film pressed exactly in place at the moment of exposure can give it a wrong look.

Nothing unusual about a cheapie film being improperly lit and exposed, the wrong shutter angle set in the camera, etc. By the time it's released it can really look funny.

A cheap film might not get the correct 3 light timing in the lab.

All sorts of better staging might occur when there's a budget, you might just be seeing actors rushing in a way they wouldn't in a film with higher expectations. The actors look like they're moving quicker when they're closer to the camera, larger in the frame, etc.

They sometimes do 'Undercrank' during filming, speeding up movement. There was a time when there wasn't uniform shutter speeds and films might not run at the right speed. A lot of old silents are transferred to film at 24 frames per second with they were shot at 16-18. Imagine some of Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keeton trademark moves if you watched them slower. Or they might have shot them intending to look that way from the beginning.

Ah, but how could I know for sure what you really mean? I want to say you're seeing something that is a symptom of the lack of money, but it's hard to be sure.

Ah, so is THIS a B movie? About 9 months ago this popped up on YouTube and created quite a sensation. There was no page for 'D.A.N.L.' on IMDB, so that couldn't have been the title if it was ever released proper. And the hard core SciFi crowd had a mystery on their hands. Where did this come from? I was struck by the resemblance to the French actress Valerie Kaprisky in her 20's. But that would have been 30 years ago, the image quality seemed far more modern to me. The reaction to it was favorable, obviously this wasn't some big budget studio film. But what was it?

So I went to work. It gets complicated. The producer has been putting together much that you can only find on YouTube. When I track down a page on IMDB for the Canadian TV show 'Continuum' I find nothing about that show, instead it's about this --- Also called 'Continuum' in YouTube release. Released in 18 3-7 minute segments, it was a hit with the few people that had known to go watch it. Then another site hosting movies edited most (I don't think it's all there) into also a full length movie.

So imagine the computer is screwing with you. Is it really? Or are you just telling yourself it is? If someone lies and lies to you, then tells you someone else is the bad guy, who do you believe? The story hinges on this guy being believable, and that means being able to believe he's good or bad at the given moment.

But what do you think? B movie?

There's some additional material here. https://www.youtube.com/user/ContinuumTheSeries/videos

[youtube]anWqtDnxh2I[/youtube]

Recently got sucked into watching the James Bond Marathon of movies. How they've changed through the years. My favorite was the one where the motorcycle races down the bob sled run in Switzerland. 8)

Alibaba is now in the business of motion pictures. They worked on the new Mission Impossible Rogue Nation, which was an alright movie.
Except it was cheap "welfare" Tuesdays (so $8 instead of $12 or $13, and I used my movie coupon for welfare Tuesday move night.
Next time I wont go on cheap welfare tuesday, I wondered why the theater was more packed then I thought.
Of course I had some seat kickers behind me, I was tempted to say something and I did mumble something at the end, dunno if they heard. Next time I should get up sit behind them and kick their seat. Thats in my plans. The theatre was setup so for the optimal picture viewage, I needed to sit 3/4 the way up instead of my usual back row.

I want to see Jurassic Park next. I could have stayed around for a freebie double header, but by 6pm it was too crowded for my liking. Next week I will do a freebie double header and sneak in some candy and bottled water.

Well, I can really relate to this movie. I would imagine this pill would be the most side effect free antidepressant. When I can get my mind off all the problems, I can work so easily as this guy can. (Or at least it SEEMS so easy, right?) Even a hardcore antidruggie like me would be sorely tempted if that stuff was real.

Oh, when I had my big investment run I wasn't so different from what he explained when first met DeNiro. But I was also working with the out of control decision making software, which would pull the trigger on buy/sell without human intervention. Set off quite a number of roller coaster rides, with me having a great feel for how it worked.

[youtube]Fs0xz2VRcS4[/youtube]

^^^ Yes, great movie! It was badass.
I was told it was adapted from a book? The subject matter of the previous itteration was supposedly cocaine, which also could fit (no such thing as perfect drugs), although the movie by itself is great, but I'm not that happy with the outcome I guess.

Checkout Perfect Getaway if you haven't seen it, and I haven't mentioned it.
[youtube]0Mk8ZJJEYPE[/youtube]

And what do you know, the actual movie comes up on the screen with the trailer is over.

Haven't seen the novel, I'd figure that cocaine would be a major fail for making someone's life better. So this guy I worked with had been living in a complex with an Olympic class pool and diving platform. So they used it as a practice facility with the Olympics were in L.A. When he wanted to beat his cocaine habit, he'd gone to the pool and started diving. As long as she felt the pull, he'd keep diving. In his early 30's he tried out for the diving team at a community college. Maybe he didn't quite become a legend, but he was a community college All American. Off cocaine, he'd made it through school, held a steady job---until he tried out the cocaine again.

After he'd lost the job where we'd worked, he was sliding fast. All the while insisting that the only thing that was getting him through was his cocaine.

So I could compare 'Limitless' to the old webseries 'Satacracy 88'. So the employees of this company are taking this pill that makes them 'Smarter and stronger.' But this cultie Manson like guy is telling this one woman that it's a mind control drug, she's actually supposed to be a bigshot in his cult. But her boss is suddenly telling her she's mentally ill, she'll actually go nuts if she stops taking the drug, she'll go back to those wackos who keep trying to drag her down. Who to believe?

What I'd really compare the 'Limitless' condition to is hyperactivity. Yeah, that's me. But I'm NOT ADHD. The way he notices small details, very much how I get. Imagine being able to wean from the drug but continue the behavior it created, as though it's a habit.

[youtube]eTnpQqIMTeA[/youtube]

nutspecial said:
And what do you know, the actual movie comes up on the screen with the trailer is over.

I for one don't know what the hell you're talking about, but it was a good movie, like I said, and thanks for the recommend 8)

When you actually watch a video on YouTube, when it ends other things come up on the screen. Generally somehow related. In this case "The actual movie" refers to the actual movie. 'A Perfect Escape.' So I watched much of the movie, but YouTube gummed up before it was finished. I'm trying to watch the rest now, but it's struggling. Seems pretty obvious to me who the real killers are, even who is going to be the sole survivor. One unmistakeable clue is just who is most prone to violence. Plus who else knows about it. Couple that with who always seems to have had access wherever the evidence pops up and you got just who HAS to be the killer. Unless it's just a bad movie. Sometimes they do screw it up. If the dang thing will just finish playing, I'll find out.

Specially for Dogman - good indy films that probably haven't been mentioned.

Headhunter 2011
The Flying Scotsman 2006
Obviously, Das Boot but you've probably already seen that.
Ondskan is quite good too.
Michael Haneke's stuff is up there if you're looking for an auteur - Benny's Video 1992 and Cache 2005 are some stand outs but will not suit everyone's tastes.
Imposter 2012 is simply brilliant. It's half-way between a documentary and a film. From what I can see online few people actually get what it is really about but I won't ruin it.

On the Anime front anything by the late Satoshi Kon is excellent - although Hollywood keeps ripping off his work (yeah I'm looking at you Aronofsky :x )
5 Centimetres Per Second by Makoto Shinkai is beautiful storytelling. But you need the English subtitled versions - dubs are nearly always terrible but especially with Anime.

The film industry is not what it used to be. You have to search pretty hard nowadays for good indy films - all of the really good stuff is on television or Netflix. There is nothing currently in cinemas that is anything near as good as Mr. Robot, House of Cards, Better Call Saul or Halt and Catch Fire for dramas or something like Veep for comedies. Television programming is now for adults whereas Hollywood films are now based almost solely on the lowest common denominator. The best comedy that I've seen in the last two decades, something that seems to be very unappreciated, was Green Wing and that was a television series too.

Edit: Withnail and I should probably get an honourable mention.

That's ALWAYS been Hollywoods big problem, the Indy films are never as good as they used to be. When the first Indy film came out they said it was better before they ever made it. As I like to say, things aren't what they used to be, but then they never were.

I'm trying to remember if they ever DID make a movie about the Indy 500.

Instead of a trailer, how about an interview instead. Oh, more of that interview if you REALLY want to see it.

[youtube]wux2PENjKR4[/youtube]

[youtube]HTgNf3P8O8s[/youtube]

Grand Theft Auto is da bomb!!!! Love it, the nephews got banned from it, but I will start to play it on PS4.
Do they have a movie out for GTA?

YouTube video claims 'Jeepers Creepers' was based on a true story. I wish they'd had the whole 'Unsolved Mysteries' segment, sounds interesting.

[youtube]zMjWWMAOGWI[/youtube]

It all reminds me of 'Duel.' A TV movie directed by an unknown Steven Spielberg.

[youtube]SpRcrTPc_k0[/youtube]

Oh yeah, caught the rest of 'A Perfect Getaway.' Saw it all coming, including the woman talking to the cops at the end. Gotta say, ridiculous though it was for the bullet to bounce off the plate in the guys' head, it DID prove who the guy really was. And helps explain his miraculous survival.

I gotta get to work making low budget movies.

[youtube]ksvEiNXffKM[/youtube]

Hey D, I liked that last movie short recommend, and this one looks good 2.
I watched a startrek fanfiction the other day. It was okay, but I didn't get much from it. I at least expect a really good story.

Heres one from last couple years. It's real lowbudget 'B'. Not bad though, I liked the weird way the writers were thinking. EVERYWHEN (just how original is the title?!)

[youtube]-Dv-iayj0zU[/youtube]

Movie, should work for a bit anyway :D otherwise we should just torrent this stuff :wink: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dv-iayj0zU
edit- 'right' link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokWgrMpDWc

As a full feature, I must recommend 'JOHN CARTER', but it would give too much away to even see or perhaps read a preview/review. It's a western, kinda, kinda on mars :D . Really good scifi-ish movie, one of my favs in the last decade, and maybe the best with a no-name cast.

JOHN CARTER is based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' A Princess of Mars --a novel first published a century ago

Back