My Ebike questioned by Transit authority Sprinter San diego

I agree and Im looking out for those types of things in laws and reaction to ebikes from big industry etc. . But dont have a knee jerk reaction against my conjecture , this is a sirius issue. an i think ebikes and bus/train/- even cars, should all be compatible, battery safely stored on outside of passenger compartments, and outside of dwellings.....i mean would you bring a gallon of gas with you on the bus ?

i think lipo should not be on planes in the passenger compartment at all.....laptops and stuff could be powered by hardwire while on the plane. sure.

hydro-one said:
I agree and Im looking out for those types of things in laws and reaction to ebikes from big industry etc. . But dont have a knee jerk reaction against my conjecture , this is a sirius issue. an i think ebikes and bus/train/- even cars, should all be compatible, battery safely stored on outside of passenger compartments, and outside of dwellings.....i mean would you bring a gallon of gas with you on the bus? probably not

Tell that to the mobility scooter crowd......

yeah , idk, how about a separate area for bikes, mob scootes, etc, with special venting that automatically vents when smoke is detected, enough to fully sweep the area. big fan or whatnot.

deardancer3 said:
Update:

after riding San diego transit with ebikes off and on for years,

today a bus driver gave me the third degree for putting a Trek with a Bionx on the bike rack, MTS bus, route 44 from ranch 99 to Old town.

checked the rules and laws and looks like things might have changed in the last year. NCTD (Sandiego north county) specifically says no ebikes
http://www.gonctd.com/bike_ride
after the Fall 2012 rules update , and MTS (san dicgo city and south county )has some decals saying no motorized bikes, which by new California law includes legal low powered under 1hp pedal powered 20mph maximum two wheeled bikes.

Seems like most bus operators dont care, and the trolley and trains operatolrs never see the ebike.

any comments or additional info?

d

did some research, found that it is mainly bus drivers with busy routes (Rt# 44 reeally bad) that are looking to reduce delays.... Talked to several drivers and thats their opinion, most bus drivers do not care- if you can get the ebike quickly and easily on/off the rack and the bike appears stable they just do not care except for some bus drivers that already feel put out by everything. Talked to several ebike users on the trolley and the Coaster, they are getting no hassles.

I think i will just not use the busses with ebikes for now, will take a charger and to longer rides without the busses, will consider going more stealth, and maybe research an e-folder.

Back