My first "real" electric bike project. 72V @ 310Amps

steam25 said:
problem is still the bad kelly performance.
full throttle from the line the kelly start with about 20-40A until reach 20km/h. then climb slowly up to 300A after reach 70km/h.
thats safe but boring.
try to use adaptto e-max sinwave controller up to 99v120a - best choise for 100-120kph with cromotor :)

but my motor is 70km/h.
and i want use higher amps than 120A.
i dont want go speeds over 80 again. went to hospital often enough because a tire popped. everything over 70km/h ends in guarantee crash. :mrgreen: flat tire on higher speeds is like riding on bananas. today i use my bafan mid drive motor modified to 72V, limited to 3400W and go to a park. ride up and down some hills. it makes much more fun if the bike can climb. thats another reason i choose lower KV on the motor and not go so fast. i like torque and auto backflips if you are not careful :mrgreen:
you can make a high speed motor climb too but you need more power right?

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD NEWS FELLAS!
the aluminium arrived some days ago and the frame is in progress. 6 parts going to another factory for CNC. rest will be weldet 8)

finally things getting started.

if somebody want forks please PN to me as usual.
i also have a question: anybody know wether i can put motorbike spokes in a 26" bike rim?

Attachments

• IMG_3491.JPG
    IMG_3491.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 2,552
hey guys,
many people ask me to get a blue USD8 fork for them. should we make a group order? if we can get 10 pcs together they will make a custom series again.

steam25 said:
hey guys,
many people ask me to get a blue USD8 fork for them. should we make a group order? if we can get 10 pcs together they will make a custom series again.

Where are you located man? You should pop it in your profile so folks no where you hail from :)

steam25 said:
i also have a question: anybody know wether i can put motorbike spokes in a 26" bike rim?

Not without modifying the rim. The spoke holes won't be large enough. Most bicycle rims use 14 or 15 gauge spokes and most motorcycles use 8, 9, or 10 gauge spokes.

Another problem you will have is getting proper spoke tension. If you are going to use a bicycle rim, then you should probably use bicycle spokes. I am using a Motorcycle rim and using bicycle spokes. you should PM Liveforphysics or Chalo with this question because they are big proponents of using bicycle spokes and they know all the techy stuff that is beyond me.

Build is looking great. I am doing blue and silver for my build but I think the blue forks maybe just a bit too much blue for me. They are absolutely gorgeous though.

'Cal

hello crew,
allrighty my profile should be updated now. :mrgreen:

about the spokes: got ya. i am usind a pretty big rim now and the holes are already bigger. my motor is laced in 9g.

the crash: no i never crashed my scooter. all accidents was with ebikes before. mostly when things pushed too far over the limit. (broken axles, flat tires, throttle stucked on full power ect.)
just one time another stupid chinese car driver decided to turn right on a high speed 5 lane street when i go straight on the right side. he was on the outer left lane, suddenly and without any warning or looking he ripped his steering wheel around and go for a tight right turn into a small street. :evil: i slammed with around 70km/h in his passenger side. luckily he got a mini van so the impact didnt caused me to fly OVER his car and break my neck on this roof. after i busted up all his windows and door i "rebounded" and wake up some seconds later, 8 meter in front of his car.
he didnt get out. he didnt help me. he just stared at me, then floor it, and drive off like nothing happend. many people came to see it but also nobody helped me. but i am pretty sure they took alot photos :mrgreen: . chinese people man...what should i say.
i broke my elbow and knee, lost 50% skin on leg, bleeding like a pig everywhere. felt miserable because i saw the bone throught the broken skin on my elbow. i could post photos here but that would go to far i guess.
i forced myself to remember his car plate number.
long story short. i went to hospital, police took my bike as evidence. they found the guy hiding in his hometown far away 1 day later and send him to jail for 1 month, also took his car. his comment on the crash:"i dont feel we had any contact! the foreigner must made a mistake" :lol: :roll:
after 1 month of extremely painful recover the driver invite me to restaurant and put 100 RMB on the table, asked me to forget everything and not to drag his lying ass to the court. (100 RMB = around 18$)
i was so angry but also know he just came out of a chinese prison. they are pretty badass here.
but then i remember his cheap lie to the police who put my messed up bended bike near his car and saw that we had a bad accident indeed. i really tried to forgive him but the 100 RMB on the table where like a red big flag, begging me for revenge :evil:

3 weeks later we go to court and the judge was totally on my side.
he paid 15.000 RMB to me (2400$ which is like half year salary in his job), never get his car back and go to jail another 1 week. and in the court i told him i never would ask a cent if he get out and simply helped me go to hospital.

learned from that:
- you cant wear enough protection
- we all should should wear a knight armor when going over 3000W
- 90% of chinese driver suck so bad
- more self-control on the throttle. this street is 100km/h limited and i am happy i didnt go faster that day and was just cruising with 70km/h. since that day i just ride faster if no car is around.

what would you do in situation like this? let him go? try punish him more? i am curious.

Hello crew,

today i test a new light. after i see the results i changed my mind and keep this light. its fantastic. draw 0,4A from the battery. 3000 Lumen and most important: its widebeam/flood caused by the vertical lens. the amber color make it very special and different from any other bike on the street. absolutely love it!
actually i just want make a short 5 minutes ride downstairs in front of my house.
that results in 1 hour having absolute blast in the park! :mrgreen:
tomorrow the aluminium holder for the USD8 fork arrive and i will put it on for a further test.

Attachments

• IMG_3728-Optimized.JPG
    IMG_3728-Optimized.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 2,412
  • IMG_3727-Optimized.JPG
    IMG_3727-Optimized.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 2,412
  • IMG_3725-Optimized.JPG
    IMG_3725-Optimized.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 2,412
  • IMG_3724-Optimized.JPG
    IMG_3724-Optimized.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,412
  • IMG_3721-Optimized.JPG
    IMG_3721-Optimized.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 2,412
  • IMG_3715-Optimized.JPG
    IMG_3715-Optimized.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 2,412
  • IMG_3717-Optimized.JPG
    IMG_3717-Optimized.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 2,412
the new aluminium holders arrived. i am happy to say they fit perfectly.
i will change the angle a little bit later to get the light closer to the fork. but they are very stable and tight.
:mrgreen:

Attachments

• IMG_3837-Optimized.JPG
    IMG_3837-Optimized.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,376
  • IMG_3839-Optimized.JPG
    IMG_3839-Optimized.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 2,376
  • IMG_3838-Optimized.JPG
    IMG_3838-Optimized.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 2,376
  • IMG_3840-Optimized.JPG
    IMG_3840-Optimized.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 2,376
Interesting outcome with your hit and run guy. I guess the $$ amount isn't a great deal for you, but in the grand scheme of things being fined 6 months salary and spending 5 weeks in jail is probably a reasonable punishment. I'm not sure what the punishment would be in most western countries. Probably a smaller equivalent fine and more jail time ? I'm guessing for low income earners losing half a years pay would have a bigger impact on their life than spending a few months behind bars ?
I've been hit twice, once a guy just clipped me and kept going. As I was crashing I managed to steer myself into the grass side of the road so had no injuries and only twisted handlebars. The second time I got car doored and fractured ribs and the bike copped a few scratches and a broken derailleur. Lucky it was a powerful ebike because I'd have had no chance of pedalling it home with the busted derailleur (or the ribs!)
The guy was very apologetic, offered to call me an ambulance or drive me home. I said I'd be right and left it at that. Like you I guess I didn't bother taking it any further because it was an accident and he offered to help. In retrospect I should have atleast hit him up for a few bucks to cover the bike repairs.

Re: previous comments and power draw and speed, I was out on the weekend and did a 2km long hill climp up a windy road. I let the cars ago ahead for a bit then chased after them and ended up reeling them back in. I was maintaining 60-70km/hr up the hill and was only pulling 5-7kw. This is with a 21S lipo pack and a TC80 in a 24" wheel - so your motor would be more efficient again. I was thinking of this discussion so paid particular attention to the numbers :)

After seeing your sweet blue forks I spoke to a local anodizing company. They quoted me $90 to strip and recoat my forks which isn't bad. I wanted red to match my other red highlights but they said red and green tend to fade badly. So I guess that's out. I have seen red anodized stuff that ends up going pale pink quickly when left in the sun and I could do without that!

How available are parts for these forks? For USA folks we do not see availability of parts to maintain or repair them. Is there an online method of getting parts shipped from other countries?

hi jay,
yeah we all got clipped by cars i guess. they cant understand that bikes be so fast.
the guy went to jail was a pretty bad experience for him. i am sure. chinese jails are no candyland. whats probably hurt him most is that he cant get his car back.

about the forks: i can get normal USD-8 forks now. blue color only when i order more than 10. some others can only get different colors if place orders above 100 pcs. i am also not sure what the heck they are thinking to make this ugly standard brownish color. :roll:

parts to repair shouldnt be a problem i hear from the workers.

back to topic:

CNC stuff is finished and its awesome to see the machine working on your first bike. realizing that this triangle is the front and so on... pretty nice experience!
they already start weld the parts together. i will grab the motor, fork, shock, controller and go to the frame factory maybe tomorrow or saturday.
there will be photos soon.
too happy we are getting close to finish line after so many month of planing and work! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

steam25 said:
you can make a high speed motor climb too but you need more power right?

Not more power from the battery, just more phase amps delivered from the controller, so a (usually) more expensive controller.

i see.
well i am using a controller with 450A phase current. of course the 26" wheel isnt best way to get torque but i wanted to keep the wheels big enough to give a smooth ride even upstairs.
a 24" or 20" wheel will have alot torque but it will be more difficult to go over bigger bumps like stairs or rocks. am i right? :shock:
i really want finally a bike which can go up a long stairway. always had that in mind when i choose the wheel size at beginning. to get more torque i didnt choose the 120km/h motor. i keep the kV down and have a max speed of "only" 65-70km/h at 72V. that was my way of thinking to get better torque at lower speeds.

tell me your experience guys. i am really interested to see, how other high power bikes act in tricky and steep offroad sections. i am searching for videos in youtube alot. but most time you guys only show the bike can go 100km/h and more on a flat road. i did nearly 140km/h two years ago and crashed hard more than one time at higher speeds so thats not my goal. 80 on a bike is enough to go around the city.

how much is the difference between 26" and lets say 20" with a fat tire on?

since i use a mid drive motor on my daily cube bike, i really appreciate the torque at low gears. i enjoy alot slowly climb up craziest places i never able to go up before.

oh wait! i think i made a video with gopro 3 before... i upload it quickly to youtube!

meanwhile here is a link for download if somebody interested in a 2500W mid drive:
of course its ass slowly. 2500W peak only. around 1000W is continuous. but you get the point. i want a bike can go fast but also climb. hub motors are not the best choice. but thats why we are testing right? :mrgreen:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0c16uxd4069z2aw/2500W%20limit%20mid%20drive%20park%20test.mp4?dl=0

HOLY SHIT FELLAS :shock: :shock:

:mrgreen: today is an awesome day and i want share some photos...
IMG_4381-Optimized.JPG
IMG_4383-Optimized.JPG
IMG_4382-Optimized.JPG
IMG_4384-Optimized.JPG

Frame making progress while i am typing here and will probably be done next week monday or tuesday.
so i prepare everything to go to the frame factory and put stuff together to see wether it all fit.

tires are 26x 2.6 with FOSS tubes inside.
IMG_4386-Optimized.JPG

we are getting real close now and i cant wait so see the frame for the first time.

sooooo... in next 2-4 days i will grab the huge lipo battery, controller, wheel, motor, fork and rest stuff i prepare here and then put that monster together. :mrgreen:

Looks very cool - subscribed.

Looks very cool!

Worth noting that the Adaptto controllers will do 10-12kw, 300+ phase amps with warranty intact. They will do full current from a dead stop unlike rubbish Kelly controllers, so your impression of 300 phase amps with Kelly is probably much slower than equivalent from a proper controller. 10-12kw is more than enough to smoke a cromotor sized stator from heat :) Plus all the other features, on-board charging, BMS, real time settings changing on display etc. Will also allow you to go faster than your wind allows with field weakening/timing advance. This gives you the option to go 100km/h if required but keep the benefits of the slower wind the other 99.9% of the time.

Thanks for sharing your experience with getting hit, sounds like the outcome was pretty good all things considered. Frankly I don't think I would get much sympathy from a court here if they heard I was going 70km/h on a bike even if it was below the speed limit, driver would perhaps get a $500 fine (equivalent of ~3 days pay at median wage) and that's probably it. Thankfully I would not have any healthcare costs to cover thanks to a functional society/government (unlike many other 'developed' nations).

It has yet to happen to me and I hope it never does. Worst incident so far was me clipping somebodies wing mirror in a particularly tight spot in traffic. I apologised and rode away, no damage once mirror was folded back. I wear motorcycle jacket with armor, back protector etc, but my legs/feet would potentially take some damage.

steam25 said:
i see.
well i am using a controller with 450A phase current. of course the 26" wheel isnt best way to get torque but i wanted to keep the wheels big enough to give a smooth ride even upstairs.
a 24" or 20" wheel will have alot torque but it will be more difficult to go over bigger bumps like stairs or rocks. am i right? :shock:
i really want finally a bike which can go up a long stairway. always had that in mind when i choose the wheel size at beginning. to get more torque i didnt choose the 120km/h motor. i keep the kV down and have a max speed of "only" 65-70km/h at 72V. that was my way of thinking to get better torque at lower speeds.

tell me your experience guys. i am really interested to see, how other high power bikes act in tricky and steep offroad sections. i am searching for videos in youtube alot. but most time you guys only show the bike can go 100km/h and more on a flat road. i did nearly 140km/h two years ago and crashed hard more than one time at higher speeds so thats not my goal. 80 on a bike is enough to go around the city.

how much is the difference between 26" and lets say 20" with a fat tire on?

since i use a mid drive motor on my daily cube bike, i really appreciate the torque at low gears. i enjoy alot slowly climb up craziest places i never able to go up before.

oh wait! i think i made a video with gopro 3 before... i upload it quickly to youtube!

meanwhile here is a link for download if somebody interested in a 2500W mid drive:
of course its ass slowly. 2500W peak only. around 1000W is continuous. but you get the point. i want a bike can go fast but also climb. hub motors are not the best choice. but thats why we are testing right? :mrgreen:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0c16uxd4069z2aw/2500W%20limit%20mid%20drive%20park%20test.mp4?dl=0

You could run a 16 inch moto tire on a 20inch wheel. Just make sure your rim is wide enough. Ive found the shinko sr241 fits a wide (44mm) BMX rim nicely. Ill upload some pics if you like. Its being used in conjunction with a 24x3 inch front

steam25 said:
hi jay,
yeah we all got clipped by cars i guess. they cant understand that bikes be so fast.
the guy went to jail was a pretty bad experience for him. i am sure. chinese jails are no candyland. whats probably hurt him most is that he cant get his car back.

about the forks: i can get normal USD-8 forks now. blue color only when i order more than 10. some others can only get different colors if place orders above 100 pcs. i am also not sure what the heck they are thinking to make this ugly standard brownish color. :roll:

parts to repair shouldnt be a problem i hear from the workers.

back to topic:

CNC stuff is finished and its awesome to see the machine working on your first bike. realizing that this triangle is the front and so on... pretty nice experience!
they already start weld the parts together. i will grab the motor, fork, shock, controller and go to the frame factory maybe tomorrow or saturday.
there will be photos soon.
too happy we are getting close to finish line after so many month of planing and work! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

absolutly true. they offered to me color option only if I would order 100+ pcs.. :evil:

@unclejam and ohbse:
thanks. yes but how to get an Adaptto??? i still try figure out whats the easiest way send one to china. its cool to get stuff here directly from factory, but a nightmare if i want order stuff from another country like cycle analysts for example. everytime i ask, they say NO because afraid in am a chinese guy, just want copycat there things... :cry:
i really want an adaptto long time. but the 120A battery current always seems to be a little low. i want at least 200-250A. whats the point of having a battery can easily stand 350A continuous but then use not even half of that. (like i said later i will throw a 8-10kw motor in like in my scooter.
i try to be different from all other high powered bikes so we dont cross each others businesses. i want to get a cheap´n dirty 36FET to see what 250A battery current can do from standing still.
but maybe i am just dreaming here... but as always: we will figure it out right? :mrgreen:

@sean: yes! post some photos. that sounds really interesting. dont know what are you waiting for. just show us! 8)

@artur: i will contact DNM again soon. i am sure i can get colored forks under 100 pcs. maybe 10-20. before they offered me this option. later took it back. but its all, how good you make friends with them. :wink:

you can come to Moscow as tourist and buy one directly from Adaptto lab :)
can you give a link too cheap 350a 36fet controller ?

Hey steam25, I am on the hunt for a ebike light.
I like yours, I read your posts on what you think is the same light from alie express and ebay and such.
You should give us your contact for the light, or maybe get a group buy going. I am sure there would be enough interest

Back