My workshop (by popular demand)

recumpence

1 GW
On Earth right now. That can change at any time, t
Hello All,

I have been asked numerous times to start a thread about my workshop. Many people here have shops that are just as well equipped as mine. However, my shop is probably the most equipment dense shop on this forum. Also, I use nearly all of my equipment very frequently. It is not a collection of stuff that I have no clue how to use.

To that end, here are some pictures and a description of what I own;

Miller Diversion 180 TIG welder. It is on the top shelf of the steel rack.
Miller Plasma cutter (165 amp inverter style portable unit). It is on the small shelf below and to the left of the TIG welder.
Lincoln 110 gas MIG welder. It is to the right of the TIG on the top of the rack.
Taig manual 4 axis mill (I have a 5 axis tilting table for it too).
Taig CNC. I have not set it up since I moved the shop 2 years ago. It is the only piece of equipment I do not use on a regular basis.
Taig micro lathe.
Drill press.
Band saw.
Miter box.
Belt sander (bench top and two different hand held sanders).
Various grinders (bench top and hand held).
Air compressor. It is mounted up near the ceiling out of the way with air lines run throughout the shop.
Lots of specialized bicycle tools. I hate not being able to do some specific task myself. So, I normally just buy the darn tool. :wink:
My frame jig is a recent addition to my shop.
Retracting lighting. The lighting on the ceiling retracts out of the way to provide access to ladders and other items mounted to the ceiling.

That brings up the key to this whole workshop; Retracting shelves! My shop is built like a submarine. Every single cubic inch of space is used. The steel rack has two retracting drawer shelves (with 500 pound capacity linear slides). These are essential to the usability of my shop. When I need to use the bench top band saw, grinder, or belt sander, I just pull out the corresponding drawer. They lock on the inward travel and the outward travel. So, once the drawer is pulled out, it locks in place providing a solid workspace.

Also, my primary assembly table is on wheels. This table is comprised of two mechanics roll around tool boxes that are mounted back to back (therefore drawers are located on each side). The top of the box is a 4 by 6 foot piece of aluminum pier section bolted to the top. I welded together a 1.5 inch box section steel sub frame under the box to tie it all together and support the weight. That bench weighs a nearly unbelievable 600 pounds! I welded it together on its side and layed it down by myself. That was a task in itself! I had to prepare a few different size straight bars to support the box at various stages of dropping the table flat. I would lower it a bit, and set a post under it. Then I would grab the shorter post, heave with all my might to take it from the longer post to the shorter post. I did this 3 times until it was low enough to just lift it off the remaining short post (car jackstand) and set it flat. BIG job, let me tell you!

I try to keep all cords and hoses off the floor. This is not an easy task. I have a 50 foot air hose on a spring spring loaded spool and a retracting power cord. These help keeping the floor clear.

At this point, I have a few more things I want to add to the shop. For one thing, I need a central vacuum system. I want to mount a large shop vac up near the ceiling on the other side of the shop and plumb PVC tubing around the shop with various outlets in strategic locations.

My shop is in a constant state of updating and changing.

I will add more pictures and descriptions as I have them. I will probably add "How-To" info to this thread as well.

All total, I have somewhere around $20,000 of equipment in my shop. This was bought over a 10 year span. Much was bought through eBay and other discount means.

Matt

Attachments

• shop3.jpg
    shop3.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 2,666
  • shop1.jpg
    shop1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 2,666
  • rack1.jpg
    rack1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 2,664
  • rack2.jpg
    rack2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 2,664
  • rack3.jpg
    rack3.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 2,664
  • rack4.jpg
    rack4.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 2,664
Wow that is amazonly small space for such high end components....obviously not about the size, it's what you do with it! ;)

Very cool the way you utilized all the space.

Thanks for letting us see.

Tom

Hi Matt,
Having built an ocean-capable cruising yacht and lived / traveled on it for several years, I know about making every cubic millimetre count.
I also for many years earned my living as a one-man-band mechanical engineer working out of a modest sized workshop.
I can therefore understand and appreciate the thinking and effort that has gone into fitting so much into such a small space while still allowing each machine to be used.
I have never seen such an equipment-dense workshop so readily usable. Impressive!

I haven't seen lights retracting in that way before, and you have got me wondering about something similar in my current workshop..

Regards,
Dave

That's badass for sure.

I have a much bigger tool garage, but not near as much tools in it. Have to drag anything outside to use it. The garage is packed full with hot air balloons I no longer fly, windsurf boards I no longer ride, kayaks I still occasionally use, bikes not used daily, and tons of bike parts. Organization is anything not used in the last year is on the bottom of the pile. :oops: I do keep the bigger tools near the door, metal saw, welders, generators.

Matt are all your projects produced in this shop? From your work I've somehow pictured an actual job shop.

kfong said:
Matt are all your projects produced in this shop? From your work I've somehow pictured an actual job shop.

Glad you brought that up......

All of my drives are made by large outsourcing CNC machineshops. There are five machineshops that make the aluminum parts and numerous other suppliers for the non-machined parts. My personal shop is where all assembly and testing is done.

I do all of my prototyping and bike building in my personal shop. The only production machining that is done in-house is jackshaft and bearing tube work. I cut the bearing tubes to length, face them, press in the bearings, and machine the flats on the jackshafts. Also, in most applications, the torque limiter hub is TIG welded to the jackshaft. That is done in my shop as well.

Matt

Sick shop man! that is very well layed out. Love the retractable racks with tools on it that are strong enough to do actual work on.

One thing that could be better is to put all of this in a container, then you have a moveable do it all diy shop forever :)

Actually might not be a bad idea to make your shop a product line, ship workshop containers to people around the world :)

Back