• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Need help fixing lifepo4 battery

Supreme Kay

10 mW
I own a 36 volt 12ah lifepo4 battery. I was little careless when checking if the battery would fit in the triangle frame of my mountain bike. I small part of the battery cover had a cut, I can see the white paper the manufacturer use to cover the cell from the cut. The white paper has tiny cut. The battery work fine without issue. I was considering buying a heat resistant tape to cover the cut. I now have the battery round into foam to protect it in case it falls. So far these are the tape I found, I am open to any suggestion:

1. https://www.amazon.com/Foxnovo-Temperature-Resistant-Polyimide-Adhesive/dp/B00N1RHE2Q/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

2. https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-High-Temperature-1-88-Inch-60-Yard/dp/B001140TS2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1474781201&sr=8-8&keywords=heat+resistant+tape

Attachments

• Optimized-20160924_200234.jpg
    Optimized-20160924_200234.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 214
  • Optimized-20160924_200211.jpg
    Optimized-20160924_200211.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 364
Looks like pretty minor damage to me, not crushed enough to affect the cells inside.

What I do with nearly all my batteries, is immediately build them tight fitting protective boxes made from old political signs. Soon there will be plenty of free ones. Just cut and tape the signs, into a tight box. this will permanently protect the pack from chafing in the battery box or bag.

Lots of other materials work too, such as sheets of Masonite, or even peel and stick vinyl flooring tiles. The key thing is make it super tight, so all the rubbing happens on the outside of the box.

The tape I use is just the clear packing tape, in the thicker type. Not as sensitive to temps as regular duct tape, and cheap. I make carrying handles out of the same tape, to avoid dropping one. several layers to make the handle.

Back