New 24' slopestyle freeride build, getting serious!

We are alot into video shooting and editing with my brother, but this was shoted in 30 minutes with absolutely no plan about what to shoot, and you can really notice it on the video :roll:

I will have to do a real nice video with a storyline and some nice offroad footage + onboard footage, a nice color correction, some cool video effects and editing, + mud and girls in bikinis :mrgreen:

You guys do some of the best laid out videos on the forum very nice! I wish I could have you edit some footage for me when I do some promotional vids for my drives!

That is an excellent video and you have some very cool scenery. you handle the chain with your bare hands??? I have a big supply of surgical gloves now because I got so tired of using gojo and water and soap to get all the grease off my hands...

^Did he really just say he got sick of getting his hands dirty?? I live for that crap! Lol!

Thanks guys!

I think I found a solution to the chain problems, as I noticed the chain does not break, it just looses a pin. I remember seeing some chains with stronger pins, more dificult to breab apart but probably stronger to this kind of failure!

So you are pushing 2000 watts right? How would you compare it to your RC drive at the same speed and wattage?

Well my 80-85 bike was pushing 4000+ w, geared for 35kph, with an extended swing-arm and 20'...

I would say this bike is at least 1/3 faster on trails, but the improved geometry has something to do with that. Acceleration really is slower, but you can't have it all at once ;)

I never had a 2000w hub bike set up for 55kph, so I cant really compare... But the gears really help to deal with any kind of situation, with AWESOME control, and good eficiency.

Just pick the rigth gear and you're up to anything.

Yeah, I feel about the same. My old R/C motor pushing about 1800 watts had a harder hit than this (THESE BOTH ARE THROUGH THE GEARS), but ultimately about the same top speed, maybe slightly faster but at the expense of much greater power consumption. Trail riding there is no comparison, I have more torque than before and MUCH improved control and lack of noise. I can't wait to turn up the power on mine, but with the hub being geared, I am taking baby steps up to around 2000 watts, with will be about double what I am using right now! :twisted:

Had a very nice ride session today, then the frame broke on a lame jump :(
keeping you updated tomorow. I have some nice pieces of video I need to edit, including the part were the swingarm failed.

Bummer! Time for a custom chromo unit!

anybody has a clue?
6933141926_0f8d7d3c1b_c.jpg

I think the weld was defective but i'm not 100% positive...

The weld does look like it didn't get good penetration at the leading edge there, and ut looks like it has some impurities in it looking at the blackened spot in the weld metal. But for that kind of cash, you will likely break it again...

yeah, and the seller have some stock, BUT they may be factory rejected frames :/

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Cadre-VTT-nu-suspendu-VARIO-BIKES-MEZKAL-alu-bronze-ou-noir-taille-M-NEUF--/390408521603?pt=FR_JG_Sports_Cyclisme_&hash=item5ae6294783

Looks to me like you "bottomed out" on where the swing frame hit the flat piece that the swivel part is welded to, in effect, twisting the weld to the point of failure. Look in the center of that flat piece, and see the paint chip missing. It is stuck to the weld on the swing arm, where the 2 pieces meet.
OR, my eyes are deceiving me ??? :roll: :roll: Is that Aluminum ??

yes the frame is alum, and very soft alum... welding it back is out, i don't have the equipment needed.

I will probably build a custom steel swingarm, time permiting :(

video of the fail, plus some good riding !

[youtube]Yji8H_Drnfc[/youtube]

*This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it form veiwing in your country on copyright grounds.*
:(

Vid still no workie..

I can view the first vid, but not the second lol? But nice video! :mrgreen: Oh and €90 for that beautiful frame is dirt cheap! I'm considering buying one... :oops:

I don't know if you should buy one... I examined the broken weld, and it seems that the welding did not penetrate enough, making the weld weaker than it should have been. Bottom line : those frame are beautiful, quite lightweight and dirt cheap. The videos I made attest the kind of riding I did with it, and it does not seems extreme at all to me. It depends on the kind of riding you do I guess, but for a street racer, frame strength should not cause issues...

Surely you have a welding shop close by. I bet they'd weld that up for you for $20 or even free maybe!

I was trying to get one of Farfle's steel swingarms but I couldn't wait any longer (MIA) so I decided to make my own out of alu. At first I didn't think I could do it and admittedly was a bit scared of the unknown. But I got some alu, cut it up, took it to my closest weld shop and asked if they could weld it up. They took it from me and said no problem and told me it would be $65-$85, so now I'm like "that was easy!" (it should be done today or tomorrow ;) )

BTW: NICE! You know your first build was an inspiration for me. 8)

Later,
Jay

Back