New 24' slopestyle freeride build, getting serious!

If only I had a good workshop and some more time! :)

Weather was horrible this weekend, nothing to show...

I modded the shunt for 2500w continuous, 3700w peak! I don't know how the 100% stock 12 fet will handle that... but I managed to test it on 5 rain-free minutes, and it feels good! I wheelies way better, I should be able to pull some good ones with some more training!

One other thing I would like to to is have the rear and front brake levers inverted, I really struggle to control wheelies with rear brake and throttle on the same hand ! how do you guys do it??

The next step will probably be to fit the Hua tong 72v and bump the voltage to 24s... :mrgreen:

Cool! Now your talkin! Looks great!

I went for a ride out, crashed twice (about my normal rate of crash) few more bruises :roll: I damaged the dérailleur again, and the chain broke when the dérailleur got stuck in the spokes of the rear wheel. I removed the broken link and kept riding. Max speed of 65kph on a slight uphill with tailwind, I still managed to slow the bike to 35kph on a big hill with headwind. 35wh/km, motor was not warm at the end of the ride :)

7128226357_f5f71c233b_c.jpg

I use a thumb throttle, reversed and placed on the left side of the bar. If you don't run a front derailleur, you.have the added advantage of more room on the left side. I prefer thumb throttles on electric bikes for some reason, but with a higher torque setup like yours, a thumb throttle may be too difficult to control.

I had a good ride this morning, I did 14km, mostly offroad, but I noticed i bent the rear freewheel :shock: The largest cog is completly out of true, and un-usable. I changed the chain, but then the chain was jumping a lot on the fastest gear and the brand new chain was being stuck betwen the crank arm and the freewheel, damaging the links each time...

So I built a bash plate to keep the chain from jumping again :
7132896497_845ec9cea6_c.jpg

7132896487_6cd0777090_c.jpg

From the limited testing I did, it seems to work very well! The chain failures I had where all related to the chain getting stuck, and none involved the chain's tensile strength so this should solve many driveline issues :)

Rode 18km, 10 of that bashing offroad, with not a single chain issue! The chain guard is really doing his job well, it will certainly help the chain life :D

With this bike I am able to investigate new playgrounds, I found two BIG jumps, but I was alone and with no camera, no point taking risks :mrgreen: I hope to shoot a nice video this weekend, I have 4 days free to do so!

Excellent build. 2 thumbs up. :) :) Really enjoy watching you trash the bike in the videos. :lol:

Glad you finally got it sorted! I am missing my bike right now, its already over 100* F out here! BUMMER! Just too hot to have any fun...

I ordered quality steel (ST37) tubing to make my custom frame. Design is in final stage but I don't have much to show, downloading solid edge at the moment... I should really decide myself on ONE CAD package and not keep using them all like I do right now, I like solidworks the best, I use catia at school, I use DraftSigth for 2D and I'm trying Solid edge next :roll:

The new frame will have a double down tube, single top tube, single pivot, and will be compatible with all mid drives configurations I would want to try, including one where you would not need a FW crankset and I would use the hub as a Jackshaft :)

What do you think about having the bottom tube protect the motor from scraping the ground? Or perhaps have an extra bit of tube to reach down and protect the motor?

Also, since it's not being built for commercial purposes, you may want to think of copying the FSR suspension... A bit more,complex - but not too much - and a much more advanced suspension design.

I don't think the motor will need much protection with this design, as I had zero issues with the current one, and this will gain a lot of clearance. The motor is still the first thing to hit so you may be right about it needing some protection.

I updated my draft with accurate measurements and made sure I had ordered enough material, all seems good.
About suspension designs, I think I will stick with single pivot, because finding a design where motor power does not interfere with suspension is already quite complicated on a single pivot :roll:

7145517657_4f85136775_c.jpg

Oh, one easy thing you may want to consider: Using a 1.5" head tube width, so that an angleset may be used it so desired.

Your design looks very nice.

I like the split downtube that allows the motor to go in between the two, I think this will help a lot with looking more like a normalish bike. Also what is the wheelbase currently? Finally, will you have problems with your seat tube at such a steep angle?

Hello, my name is Denis I am French. I congratulate you for your work.
I interress for some time in electric bike. I am super happy to make a bike that comes close to you. I ask myself a question: how the gear is fixed on the engine. do you have it fixed or is it fixed on the original engine. And if so how did you do for the fiver.
I thank you in advance for your help.
again, congratulations

I was practicing trials on small rocks yesterday, it is actually quite fun when you have enough power to lift the front wheel easy! I practiced balance and wheelies too, I can pull some quite good ones now, like 10-15m long. The motor did hit a rock when trialin, and it seems that the motor support bent a little, decrasing the motor chain tension, making the chain chew rigth through most of the crank sprocket's teeth like if it was plastic 5 minutes later lol!
Once I repair that I will probably do a trial riding video, because I can shot that kind of stuff by myself. Have a new pov cam comming too, wich should make a good helmet cam!

I am seriously considering having the rear and front brake levers inverted, as controlling throttle and rear brake with one hand is quite hard! As said before, I could also try a thumb throttle, may be cheaper then setting up new hydro brake lines!

Back