New electric mountain bike frame by Phasor Cycles

Hyena: I would much prefer something like this.

We can do that, no problem. I do like the way that looks too, and after a quick rearanging, all of the 72V 30Ahr pack still fits, even with the big kelly controller, but there isn't room for much more, and of course it moves the center of gravity up. The rear section under the seat can be sealed off from the batteries so the controller can be vented with the underseat frame cutout.

SmallFrame3.jpg

SmallFrame.jpg

SmallFrame4.jpg

Or we can just have the panel seal off the whole enclosure to conceal and protect everything. If you look closely you might notice something else we are working on..
SmallFrame5.jpg

Spacey: make sure there is enough clearance for the pedals on the ground :)
We did, there is about 3.5" ground clearance at full bump.

SmallFrame6-1.jpg

Here is a battery spreadsheet that some here might find useful, i made it after manually writing down battery combinations / price / weight etc. too many times. Just plug in your battery module's parameters and it calculates the parameters of various combinations of the modules in different series / parallel configurations.

http://www.4shared.com/document/qoz8RC78/Battery_Spreadsheet.html

PM sent. Let me know!

miro13car said:
there is problem here.
If you built prototype why do not post pictures of prototype , why AutoCAD dreawings??????

Having followed the build thread for the prototype of this bike, I can tell you the prototype has a significantly different frame. The CAD drawings are of the frame that will be made for sale. Having seen what these guys can do, I am sure they will produce a run of these bikes. I hope they can make enough to make it viable if not a bit a of profit.

Check this thread for the prototype

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24253

Clay

If you guys could show an actual physical prototype I reckon that would have a huge impact on sales. Presumably you should make a prototype in any event to prove that you can do it within cost specs, but I think if people could see the real world example it would make a big difference.

dpearce said:
Well we finally have a price for you guys, it will be $1450, or $1300 for ES members...
Fair price I think, especially when compared to the Stealth Bomber. I hope you'll sell a lot of them.

Prototype 1 was carbon fiber... Did you happen to see read the first post, click on any of the links?

Yes I saw that link and I had read that thread at the time, but that frame is a monocoque carbon frame, it is totally different to the proposed frame, and so what I am saying is I would be interested in seeing photos of a physical prototype of the proposed frame.

Philistine said:
Yes I saw that link and I had read that thread at the time, but that frame is a monocoque carbon frame, it is totally different to the proposed frame, and so what I am saying is I would be interested in seeing photos of a physical prototype of the proposed frame.

Philistine,

We are currently racing to get the first production frame made. We have the Jig about 80% done and we have all the materials ordered. We will be sharing pictures and more details with the ES forum once we get the first production frame done. And like all good products we plan on doing a fair amount of testing before delivering the first frame. That is one of the reasons our proposed availability for the frames is late 2011 / early 2012 as we said in the first posting.

These are all the components minus batteries we will be populating the first frame with for testing:

2011-11-07_10-40-54_348.jpg

Awesome. I was extremely impressed by what you guys achieved on the monocoque bike, I am sure it will be impressive.

Really look forward to seeing it put together, I will probably start justifying buying one to myself if you guys do as good a job on your previous effort.

Just to clarify...what would you get frame wise for the money? Front shocks included or just frame and swinging arm? I'm just looking into the feasibility of a certain project over here in Europe.

Spacey said:
Just to clarify...what would you get frame wise for the money? Front shocks included or just frame and swinging arm? I'm just looking into the feasibility of a certain project over here in Europe.

The "kit" will just come with the frame, swingarm and associated hardware for the pivot, and panels. The shocks and other components are up to you. PM me with the specifics of your build and we can let you know if certain components will be compatible. The frame will accept most any front/rear shock so you can really make whatever type of ride you would like.

The components we chose are for an extreme example of what can be possible.

Danimal, Any rough idea when you will have these in production? And do you have a finalized design yet?
Also, will you offer them without the swing arm? Or build a custom swing arm? The wheel I have in mind won't fit a standard swing arm

I'm at the point in my build where I need a frame, but the Motor is delayed a while, So I have some time to wait.

Guys I'm loving this frame. I have been tinkering with a similar design in Catia for a while now. I'm trying to squeeze 72v of Headway cells into mine but might have to switch battery and buy one of your frames instead. Nice work fellas :D

Have you investigated shipping costs yet? I'm in the UK. I'd be happy to test one for ya :lol:

Keep it up guys

danimal said:
The frame is constructed of TIG welded chromoly that has been precision waterjet-cut, making a capable light weight and versatile frame. It has been designed to hold the batteries low and centralized.
1) Please explain why you switched from light weight carbon fiber composite to heavy Crmoly?

2) Did the carbon fiber prototype have any issues in the design, construction, or durability in field testing?

3) What is the total weight difference between these two bikes when using same weight components & parts using Crmoly vs Carbon Fiber?

Look forward to the testing & final design/weight before I can commit.

Thanks! :)

danimal said:
The frame is constructed of TIG welded chromoly that has been precision waterjet-cut, making a capable light weight and versatile frame. It has been designed to hold the batteries low and centralized.
1) Please explain why you switched from light weight carbon fiber composite to heavy Crmoly?

2) Did the carbon fiber prototype have any issues in the design, construction, or durability in field testing to decide not to use carbon fiber or some other composite materials?

3) What is the total weight difference between these two bikes when using same weight components & parts using Crmoly vs Carbon Fiber?

Look forward to the testing & final design/weight before I can commit.

Thanks! :)
Alan B said:
Question 3 is the more interesting one. Hopefully they have a prototype soon to answer it.
I agree that question 3 is important, but neither danimal or dpearce gave answers to 1 & 2 that I can find in this thread or elsewhere.

I hope for specific answers to all 3 questions in this thread from dpearce and/or danimal. 8)

Danimal, Any rough idea when you will have these in production? And do you have a finalized design yet?
Also, will you offer them without the swing arm? Or build a custom swing arm? The wheel I have in mind won't fit a standard swing arm

We are shooting to be production ready by Jan. - Feb 2012, pending field testing. This means we plan to start building them as they are ordered around this time.

Have you investigated shipping costs yet?

We will be using UPS to ship, you can get an estimate from their shipping calculator, coming from zip 90278. The package will be approximately 35 lbs, that is a liberal estimation.

2) Did the carbon fiber prototype have any issues in the design, construction, or durability in field testing?

1) The main reasons we switched from Carbon Fiber to Chromoly, as mentioned by Alan B are cost and labor. Expensive material, expensive and time consuming to manufacture. Lots of one off parts. Harder to repair. More complicated to scale up production. Relative to working with steel, it's just kind of a PITA in my opinion. We see the DIY market wanting something cheaper, and easier to customize (weld on) even if it is at the expense of weight.

2) Issues in the design, not really except a clearance issue with the rear tire / rear shock that luckily was an easy fix. The construction went smoothly, albeit time consuming and messy. As for durability in testing, There was minor surface cracking around one of the swingarm pivot mounts in the frame, but it is still strong and structurally sound, nothing that would make me hold back on anything for fear that it would break. The carbon fiber is very strong, but one good tumble into some rocks could destroy the frame, and it wouldn't be easy to repair. The geometry has been revised, to give more leg extension for pedaling, a lower seat height, and a more slack head tube angle. We destroyed some rims jumping out of a 6 set of stairs, went through a one way bearing from the older generation BMC motors, broke off the derailer. Those are the only issues we have had with the bike so far, and it has taken some beatings, including tumbling down a steep hill for about 100 feet (luckily I didn't go with it haha). One of the dropouts in the aluminum swingarm are getting a little thrashed, since after welding the derailer mount back on the aluminum is back to soft 'O' condition in that area from the heat of welding and not re-heat treating.

3) The total weight of the CF frame was 9.0lbs, and the swingarm was around 3lbs I think so about 14lbs alltogether. The Chromoly frame is expected to be around 16-20lbs with the swingarm. However it is designed to use mountain bike suspension, which all together is about 18lbs lighter than the heavy motorcycle suspension used before. The Carbon Fiber Prototype was 90lbs with a 72V, 10A*hr battery, and BMC motor. Using the same battery / motor in the new model would end up around (90 + 7 - 18)lbs = ~79 lbs, but since we are using more batteries in this test model it will probably end up around 90lbs.

We are getting very close to building this first frame out of the new jig, we hope to have some pictures of a physical frame for you guys soon here..

Make sense, Hope I have enough money by time your products release to public and I would like get one for myself. Hope it able let me run 100v 20Ah or 30Ah if it permit room hold the LiPo batteries.

Looking forward hear the test pending. Don't forget take some video and We would love see it. 8)

Thanks for the very detailed answers to my questions 1, 2, 3 above. Excellent response & info. 8)
dpearce said:
However it is designed to use mountain bike suspension, which all together is about 18lbs lighter than the heavy motorcycle suspension used before.
By doing this you seem to come to about the same weight as the Carbon Fiber frame that has heavier motorcycle parts.

1) Will the durability still be there using Mountain Bike components vs Motorcycle grade components? Any downsides to doing this where there might be some limitations that the motorcycle components could handle but the mountain bike components will limit or prevent? Higher cost for mountain bike parts vs motorcycle?

2) Any Pros/Cons or trade-offs worth mentioning beyond the weight savings by using mountain bike parts vs the motorcycle ones? Will you be heat treating the finished CrMoly frames after welding for "stress relief" too?

3) Are you doing the actual manufacturing yourselves, or are you contracting this out to a fabricator?

I think this is an excellent opportunity to fill a real need for DIY eBike builders, so I wish you the best in actually completing many, many frames & go on to producing beyond the ES hobby level into a real business venture.

Again, thanks for your detailed explanations. If your CrMoly prototype proves out to meet your expectations & it's well documented here on ES, then I think many of us will want to order this including myself. I really want to see what results you get with the prototype before I can commit to ordering, so I hope you succeed in the meantime. :D

Back