New Satiator 72 Volt

Talon

10 W
I received my new Satiator just after Christmas 2021. My question is ........ I have been charging to 85% lately on a 52v 20ah battery. It is cold ass in Michigan being 30F or less. I always bring my battery inside after each ride. Is it better for the battery to be charged more at maybe 52 volts compared to running it down to 52 or 50V. I want the most power and long life together ..... :D I am going off a Fluke meter ? :)

Do you have a way to monitor whether the battery is still balanced? While its a great policy to undercharge, a bms will never balance the battery unless charged full, and sometimes needs repeated full charges to get completely balanced.

So if you don't have a convenient way to monitor it cell group by cell group, you can make a mistake and kill your battery running it too far out of balance, without knowing it.

The middle of the road idea, is to charge to 80% or whatever you like, then top off just before a trip. Then you get the battery at full performance, while spending as little time at 100% charge as possible. Yes, you of course want it to last the maximum, but if you need to ride longer distances, you also need it full. It can easily be better to fill it, but not let it sit there full very long, than to risk running it till the bms stops it.

If your trips are short, then sure, make several before you charge it, to full.

My trips are 2 to 3 miles everyday. I charge the battery fully 1 or 2 times a month to hopefully keep it balanced.

Talon said:
My trips are 2 to 3 miles everyday. I charge the battery fully 1 or 2 times to hopefully keep it balanced.

If you are already doing that, then just slightly alter your routine so that you ride the bike right after the batteries are fully charged (as dogman dan already stated). If you're not able to ride right after charging, then charge to 85% or whatever level under 100% that you're comfortable with.

999zip999 said:
Battery what Battery ? It would helpfull to know. As so many batteries of different quality and bms's out there. Have a link ?
It is a Ariel Rider 52v 18ah battery that claims to have Samsung cells in it.

Thank you sounds good as better than Chinese no name no brand crap. So as quality cells will stay in balance better. If not hitting lvc or being left at full charge for days and weeks or used at a higher amp draw then specs.
Bottom line is it won't balance on till it's left on the charger and the battery bms has a chance to equalize all the cells the only way to know if you have the ability to read each parallel cell group.
I don't have a bms on most of my packs just balance wires for ez checking. The bms is BT so when it will talk to me it's good. But like a cat it has a mine and no feelings for me. Sorry cat lovers.
Couldn't find your bike on the website do you have a link

Justin on the Grin site mentions leaving the Satiator on the battery overnight every month or 2 to 100% to balance the cells. Is this a good practice?

Sounds ideal. Short trips with each eventual charge to full to balance. Your battery will last forever compared to what I got, discharging it nearly empty twice a day on a long commute.

I would say though, don't take the cells past 3/4 empty unless you take a longer trip. It's too empty that tends to unbalance. Then you could get by with balance charging less often, and charge to only 85%. I used to balance some lipos only 4 times a year, by not discharging them all the way.

But really, why bother? You will get your moneys worth from that battery just charging it full as needed. But not letting it sit for days full of course.

Back