New xtracycle edgerunner cargo bike - what do you think?

Justin comments in email:

I had specified the dropouts in my CAD diagram to be 6mm (1/4") thick chromoly plate and included a pair of threaded holes so that we can make a no-nonsense single piece bolt-on torque arm. Here is a screenshot.

The spacing between dropouts was spec'd at 138mm so that it could better 7-8-9 speed freewheels with existing hub motors. However, I can't totally guarantee 100% that that's how the production frames actually wound up as a lot of things seem to get lost in translation regardless of how much you try to be clear. Our shipment is due to arrive in 3-4 weeks, so I'll know for sure then what actually got built. But dropout strength should not be a concern.

The motor that will be stock on the Xtracycle supplied units is the V2 eZee hub, along with a 25A controller, so at 36V it's good for just over 700w of output power, and at 48V it is just over 900w. But for us we'd be supplying with whatever motor people want on the back, and I wanted to make sure we can accommodate that.

Oh and the slot itself was naturally spec'd at 10.0mm opening, with a 14mm radius on the top. I didn't provide tolerances, but they know that the motor axle has to fit in there.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 3,417
I don't see the frames for sale there. Not interested in the whole electric rig, not enough juice for me :]

I like the review. It's honest and pretty thorough even though she really never got to ride for long. There is wisdom in her words as she has given up the car for a cargo bike years ago. I like her view on the bakfiets with children though: They sit up front where the action is. You can see them all the time. You can have a better conversation with them. And they don't fight as often because you are hawking them :wink: . If you see some of their photos of them riding around with the kids, they are the same folks in Xtracycle's video. 8)

neptronix said:
I don't see the frames for sale there. Not interested in the whole electric rig, not enough juice for me :]

Send an email to info@ebikes.ca and we might be able to sort you out with a frame - we have a few on hand!

Adam

Email sent. If these babies are reasonably priced, i wouldn't mind being the guinea pig. They look solid enough for a proper chaindrive.

I like that it is a geared motor in a 20" wheel, this should provide the hill climbing thrust that many are looking for in an ebike. Not sure how this is going to work with regulations, Also seems like 20" wheels would be busting spokes less often.

I believe that there is an error in the picture and it shoud state 910Watts at 48V, instead of 910Watts at 36V

I WANT one!!

It sounds like a great cooperative effort from GREAT people in this field....... Glad they took the time to work together. I'll be building on this frame set from now on -I think.....

(and I already have all three: BD, Mundo, and Extracycle conversion.......I believe in cargo bikes)

Ryan

Ryank said:
I WANT one!!
It sounds like a great cooperative effort from GREAT people in this field....... Glad they took the time to work together. I'll be building on this frame set from now on -I think.....

Hey Ryan and thanks for the encouragement! The project collaboration was a fun one.
Anyways we're just in the process of getting some of the final details of the completed production frameset accurately modeled in 3-D CAD which we'll then make available for download. That would enable those with CAD tools to do full virtual build mock-ups before actually getting the parts if that's your style. Not really necessary for a hub motor system, but some of the mid-drive builds I've seen here I'm hoping it would be useful!

Here's how the right-side drive stokemonkey motor at least will be fitting into the setup. You can see there's quite a bit of open space in front of the rear 20" wheel that is concealed from view between the saddlebags, so even a complex drive could tuck in there and look pretty slick:

Edgerunner CAD with SM Motor.jpg

Anyways as Adam mentioned we do have a couple spare framesets on-hand if anyone is serious about doing a DIY ebike build based on this.

-Justin

Love the idea of the stokemonkey on it.

The only reservation I had about the bike was using a radial spoke laced hubmotor in the back, which could be a problem if the rider lets a few spokes loosen.

But with the stokemonkey setup, you'd be back to a cross laced rear wheel on a normal hub which ought to be a lot more flexible and strong. Plus of course, the gearing advantages.

I really think you are on the right track with the 20" rear wheel, carry the cargo low. I love my funky frankenbike longtail, but it definitely carries it's cargo higher than I'd prefer. That low cargo platform looks ideal.

dogman said:
The only reservation I had about the bike was using a radial spoke laced hubmotor in the back, which will be a problem if the rider lets a few spokes loosen.
ftfy ;)
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=647104#p647104
was actlualy the spokse but id idn't knwo i ty et.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=656622#p656622
was the strt of breakage then
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=661304#p661304
and if left woludve probably odne this
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43899&p=639626

other suhc 20" radial hb bikse
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45841

i really like this bike but as i bought my big dummy frame for 650$ and put a E-bike kit hub motor on it and have roughly 1700$ in it and they are asking 1999$for the bike and 3695$with the Ezee kit i just can not justify that much money.i realize this is not quite a apples to apples comparsion but does anyone else think the price is a little steep? i just hope that the frame only price comes down as i would love to build another longtail.

They have to pay their markup, assembly time, keep the shop open, deal with warranty issues etc, hence the price is nowhere near what you build yours for.

All production bikes have >33% on top of what it normally cost.

So pick up a frame and build it yourself, as you did with the big dummy :]

justin_le said:
Hey Ryan and thanks for the encouragement! The project collaboration was a fun one.
Anyways we're just in the process of getting some of the final details of the completed production frameset accurately modeled in 3-D CAD which we'll then make available for download. That would enable those with CAD tools to do full virtual build mock-ups before actually getting the parts if that's your style. Not really necessary for a hub motor system, but some of the mid-drive builds I've seen here I'm hoping it would be useful!

Here's how the right-side drive stokemonkey motor at least will be fitting into the setup. You can see there's quite a bit of open space in front of the rear 20" wheel that is concealed from view between the saddlebags, so even a complex drive could tuck in there and look pretty slick:

Anyways as Adam mentioned we do have a couple spare framesets on-hand if anyone is serious about doing a DIY ebike build based on this.

-Justin

How will the RH drive work? I've heard the Stoked version will be using an internally geared hub. I have a stoked Xtracycle conversion.

I notice the seat-tube is low enough to allow a Thudbuster suspension seat-post. Mid-drive capable for the win. I like everything about this bike...

spinningmagnets said:
I notice the seat-tube is low enough to allow a Thudbuster suspension seat-post. Mid-drive capable for the win. I like everything about this bike...

The rear looks wide enough to take a 2.5" x 16" motorcycle/scooter tire as well. Add a thudbuster on top of that and you could practically never feel what's going on with the rear end.

http://www.amazon.com/Pirelli-ML-Front-Moped-Tire/dp/B001CD5F54

Yes, this is as close to perfect as an ebike frame gets. Rear suspension would be nice, but said tire would do a fantastic job of dulling out things.

Xtracycle that folds using Tern folding mechanism.
cargo-joe-detail.jpg

Someone in SF put cardboard around it and duct taped it to fit with standard luggage. No extra fees associated with it! Oh yeah, it's been converted to electric :!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6Pdue8sCFZ8

[youtube]6Pdue8sCFZ8[/youtube]

We just got three of these guys in the bike shop, ill post some pics when I get into work today.

I love what they are finally doing with bikes these days. Happy trails you guys. :D

farfle,still patiently waiting for pictures you said you would be posting of the cargo joes in your shop?

Doh, I totally forgot to take some. Too busy assembling them. What I can say is that it was a very well thought out design.

Pros:

my favorite kind of brakes (Avid BB7s, on Shimano rotors)
STOUT wheel builds.
Great feeling shifters.
Geared perfectly for a slow cadence at 24mph, and an average cadence at around 30mph
Good riding position
Frame does not flex torsionally.
Bike "rides nice"
Oversize FSA Pig headset.
cons:
Rides like a long bike (cause it is) meaning it is slightly unresponsive from 0-3mph.
The metropolis handlebars it comes with are meh. But that's a personal preference.

thanks for the review,can not wait for pics.just might have to see one in person.looks promising for a new e-build.

pics would definitely be nice
the only thing i like about this setup is the 20" rear wheel- other than that it seems the same as any other cargo bike.

also a 20" requires either fast wind - or high voltage to go at a reasonable speed

Back