Next steps for Scooter Project

scheney

100 µW
Hi everyone,
newbie here

I am in the process of designing the drive system for my scooter project, but the options are doing my head in since I have never bought either a motor controller or a hub motor before. I would appreciate any help shortening my shopping list :D. Ultimately I want the bike to be 2WD powered by a 96V 40Ah battery pack, however I want to start with one driven wheel, one motor controller, and one 48V 20Ah battery (so I can about the system). This bike is a prototype so I don't necessarily need parts that will last (though any recommendations for future iterations would be much appreciated). Also I live in Australia, which I think limits the options somewhat so I've mostly been looking on aliexpress. Are there better retail options for electric bikes in or that deliver to Australia? One where I can actually understand the vendor would be helpful. :wink:

I would like the wheel to be an 18in gearless BLDC hub motor. I'm not sure what wattage is appropriate if I want the bike to cruise at 50kph when it has both motors (though this is not important to get right in the first iteration). I was thinking 2000W for when my second battery arrives, does that make sense?

I would like the motor controller to be programmable. Is it possible to program a standard motor controller with an on-board arduino or RPi? I would ultimately like to configure the motor on the go with my phone.

I'm sure this question gets asked all the time so I really appreciate any help!

Hub motors will be the easiest, but front wheel drive will be a bit silly.

If you want a controller which is programmable (or at least adjustable) there are many options out there. Even the Kelly sine wave controllers are pretty good nowadays.

I have an e-max scooter thread here somewhere, and there are a few others involving electric scooters. one hub motor is plenty good. And at 96 volts you'll have 100 km/h top speeds for sure. My 48 volt scooter does 80 km/h.

Where in Oz are you?

I'm currently doing the same (in Aus too). Hub motor will be a QS273 (22kg thing), Batteries in the form of Lipo. (this will be your most $$$ component). Controller just a china spec 72v 80amp thing. Will create a build thread later

I managed to squeeze one more of these out of my source, so I've still got a used one of these: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=81664
RIm looks a bit scratched but its an easy way forward if you have a donor...

Thanks for the responses everyone, I really appreciate the help!

jonescg: Have you tried 2WD and didn't like it? I've been curious what the experience would be like since I started riding about a year ago and intuition tells me that it would be heaps of fun, especially if you use two throttles.

So what models should I look at in the Kelly controllers shop? (I'm just wrapping my head around the extent of the motor controller concept)

That's exciting to hear that I should expect those sort of speeds! Is that using gearless BLDC motors?

And I'm in Melbourne :D

millzy555: Would love to see the progress on your project! Where in Aus are you?

Samd: If you're offering to sell it, I appreciate it but I'm hoping to use a significantly lighter rim. Do you know any good sources for something around the 11-15kg range?

Thanks again!

Sure I can send over a 3000 watt Mxus in a 18" rim if you want. Expect about 12kg.

You won't be needing two of those though for only 50kph cruising!

Millzy just picked up his mega scooter from here. Its gonna be a cracker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this the rim Samd? https://www.electricbike.com/mxus-3000w-hubmotor/

If so that looks pretty perfect. How much is it and what is the outer diameter with a moped tire on it? Also what motor controller would you pair it with?

Back