NJ- When an e-bike is not a moped

Hope you win your fight. That's one messed up ebike law. But once it passes, you'll still have years of educating cops and judges about it.

The NJMV Moped Manual p.1 Define a Moped ,only uses the words piston displacement motor and does not say electric motor. Debatable as it's only a book and can be a misprint. But, http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/Mopeds.htm " for a vehicle to qualify as a moped,it must meet all four of the following conditions..." My point is that the second condition describes a motor with a piston displacement. Electric motors do not have a piston displacement. Therefore they are not Motorized Bicycles ( MOPED ) by their definition. This page was last updated 10-3-2008

jerseygirl, since you are working with Senator Van Drew on this, please consider this solution. The law which I quoted at the start of this thread could have the definition of an electric personal assistive mobility device amended to include the Federal electric bicycle law definition. This would have the benefits of being able to ride all of the places that a Segway can,and other freedoms of restrictions as already passed as law.

News from jerseygrrrl via FB:
"So not really bad news, but not good news.....the PD asked for an adjournment based on subpoenaing the mvc legal guy who sent the Senator confirmation that stated that the OAG stated that OCPD doesn't have the right to require me to have registration but could require me to get a determination and try to register the bike---did that---but now supposedly the MVC is saying they are waiting on a dete...rmination from the OAG.....the prosecutor is not budging and is prosecuting on Title 39.....in direct conflict with 2 of the Federal Laws.....(which the mvc abides by the Federal Laws) so we're still in the catch 22!! WTF---If they rule against me my PD says we'll take it to appellate court......I knew this gonna drag the f out......I guess I'll just have to sit and wait for the fires to get hot enough for burning me at the stake.......lol......ugh......grrrrr"

Third time fellows and I ain't giving up!!!! Got the gov and the attorney general and the mvc on my side and van drew is crafting a bill (named after your truly-lol)--to "fix" title 39 to reflect mvc and the fed laws===we are still gonna fight this tooth and nail and I also filed harassment charges on the asshole--who ticketed me all three times!!!!!!
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/press/cape_may/ocean-city-woman-will-fight-again-for-electric-bike/article_652715a6-6a6a-11e1-9225-001871e3ce6c.html
What kills me is they sell them right over at Beacon in Northfield and the owner is pissed that they are being considered anything else except a bike----I also let leva know about this too---they are the ones who commented and asked to demonstrate the low-speed electric bicycle in the original proposal to 13:25.
Just one of the many letters I've sent to many and I also filed harassment charges on the assho#e who ticketed me all three occurrences-----oh he's going DOWN!!!! ===4409 Did a radio show with me as a headline guest and that should be on youtube soon----the oc Gazette is going to do a BIG STORY ON THIS in the next week or so----the reporter did a 4 hour interview and I emailed her everything I received from Van Drew --the Attorney General and MVC----so looks like we might have this in the bag---fingers crossed so my summer won't be ruined by having to go to appellate court!!! I get pissed off and depressed like today I really needed to go and get prescriptions but I didn't have enough time after doing other errands on Fare-free bus....it's depressing sometimes but I am keeping my faith and still fighting these buttholes!!!! LOL!!!

""This is the third time I have been ticketed on my "Low-Speed Electric Bicycle"---first one was dropped back in 2010---second time---3 were issued and dropped---and this is now the third set of tickets issued by the same Sgt. and 9 tickets is just totally excessive!!
I wish more people were concerned with the Gestapo OCPD to stop them from writing bogus tickets on "Low-Speed Electric Bicycles" because I doubt anyone will beat my nine tickets on a 'vehicle' a 'motorcycle' and a 'motorized bicycle'--- Well OCPD--which is it???? I don't believe they even know because how do you write 3 different kinds of tickets on three different kinds of "vehicles" --when MVC has classified me as a "Low-Speed Electric Bicycle"???? Beats me.....that's Ocean City's finest at work....to "serve and protect" or is it "intimidate and bully" and write bogus tickets on "Low-Speed Electric Bicycles"---when they sell them at Beacon and ride them in every other town but not here in "America's Greatest Family Gestapo" !!!

OCPD who has just recently ticketed me on my "Low-Speed Electric Bicycle" with NINE (9) tickets on three different types of vehicles (motorcycle--Motorized bicycle--and a motor vehicle --when MVC has determined me to be none of the above and to be a "Low-Speed Electric Bicycle" and because the State Statute differs from the MVC and Federal Laws---I am facing over 3,000.00 dollars in fines and 1 to 5 days in jail for this disabled single mother ...for their mistake and I am now caught in a catch 22 that they are doing nothing about it to make it right--after MVC telling me I was 100% legal and able to ride my "Low-Speed Electric Bicycle" and they sell them right at Beacon and are used in many neighboring towns to the south and north of me....but I am facing this prosecution for their mistake .....The great Lawmakers in NJ need to Fix Title 39 to reflect the Federal Laws pertaining to the definition of "low-speed electric bicycle" in 15 U.S.C.2085 or "bicycle" in 16 C.F.R. 1512.2 and MVC's Laws who have accepted the Federal Definitions pertaining to the "Low-Speed Electric Bicycle" ---Please Fix what's wrong with this city as "Low-Speed Electric Bicycles" are being ridden all over NJ but not here in Ocean City---the Mayor should at least get the nine (9) tickets dropped on the basis of MVC saying on June 9, 2011.."I was good to go"!! So ridiculous that the OCPD is out of control and I'm not the only one who feels this way and that is a fact....the recent misbehavior of OCPD is going to ruin this city's good reputation and I surely am not the only one who thinks so!! Just saying....fix the mess and clean up your act OCPD!!!
Jerseygirl----
PS---I will keep Y'all posted ==court is scheduled for May 3---wish I could get some of you guys to call Van drew and voice your opinions on this----I still don't understand how this douche can ticket me on three different kinds of vehicles----vehicle(auto) --motorized bicycle-- and even a motorcycle....unbelievable!!! Like he doesn't even know the laws but is writing tickets for everything hoping one sticks----- 4409 on youtube (check it out) had a field day with this too--lol

My PD is going to subpoena Jeffery Pistol about this email he sent to Van Drew:
Ya can't hold me accountable when they told me I was good to go after I went and tried to register it.....Title 39 needs to changed to reflect the changes in technology --Period!!! I got a call from the Attorney General's office last Friday and spoke with a woman who is preparing me a statement that MVC has the final word on this and that the Attorney General's Office of Criminal Law is on my side and will get back to me by end this week or beginning of next----so hopefully we will get this put to bed and done and over with----we'll see....say a prayer....and it's not JUST b/c mine is beefier and moped looking ---the gov has too much control and this state can't get their laws right and it defin needs to be changed as many other states are also getting on board with these types of bikes....should we just give up and before you know it they can just do whatever they want and harass whoever....there are all types of Low-Speed Electric Bicycle's out there and as long as they fit the classifying requirements the local yocal state gov needs to follow the feds and the mvc and update their laws no matter what.....it's happening all over....New York is changing their State Laws for them as we speak .....so please call and let your voice be heard to the Senators and maybe Van Drew to get this done NOW!!!!! watch this --
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-czwy6UPvRs 7 cops stop e-biker like he was a terrorist

The Honorable Senator Van Drew:
I have been speaking with Todd from your office and he indicated that you wanted to know if the City of Ocean City has the authority to require {my name} to register her electric bicycle with the Motor Vehicle Commission. I checked with the Attorney General's office and was told that the City does not have the authority to require {my name} to register her electric bicycle with the Motor Vehicle Commission but they do have the authority to require {my name} to come to the MVC for a determination as to whether the electric bicycle can be registered.

The MVC has three specialty inspection sites which can, among other duties, inspect vehicles to make determinations as to how the vehicles shall be classified, whether or not they shall be registered, and whether or not they can be allowed to operate on the public roadways. The closest MVC specialty inspection site to {my name} is in Winslow and the phone number for that site is 609-567-0190.

Please contact me if you need any additional information about this matter.
Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Jeffrey T. Pistol
Regulatory Officer
Regulatory & Legislative Affairs
New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
PO Box 162
Trenton, NJ 08666-0162
609-777-1407

They're already threatening me with over 3,000.00 dollars worth of fines and 1 to 5 days in jail----WTF--do I have to lose??? LMAO!!!

That one is a great example of the real problem being the guy, and his past history with the city government and the cops. Everybody had to come and see the guy get ticketed or whatever.

I've been there myself, the entire on duty Las Cruces police force turned out to see me get arrested in 1973. They'd been wanting to see my ass in cuffs for a loooooooong time. Every cop on duty that night was there, grinning away and loving it to toss my house. For about a decade, I could get a ticket for sneezing while driving. Taught me to drive perfect.

I got a call from Jeffery Pistol (mvc) today---another sell out.....do any of these assholes refrain from passing the buck?? Supposedly the Attorney General NOW says that Title 39 is the last word----but not according to the letter from Jeffery Pistol back in June 2011----this is exactly what the Fu*k I'm talking about----Senator Jeff Van Drew talking bullshit about crafting a bill to change Title 39 to conform to the MVC's Adopted Amendment to "motorized bicycle" in 13:25----so what the heck they're saying NOW is NOT what they were saying last June----so in reality they are definitely throwing me under the bus and are jumping ship b/c none of the assholes wanna step up to the plate and say what they have been saying since last June in the readoption to 13:25----They're all fu*king LIARS in my book---now I know why people don't trust the freaking government at all.....It really pisses me off so much I could just scream-----I really regret getting the beefier model and just wished I would have bought the bike looking one.....probably would never had been stopped ever----but I was just thinking about taking my kid to baseball practice and what would have carried more groceries.....I could kick my self in the ass for real.....they should at least just dismiss the freaking tickets and tell my not to ride the damn thing until they decide what the fu*k law they are gonna revise....assholes....I would have never gotten on the damn thing if they didn't tell me on June 9, 2011 that I was just a bicycle and all bicycle laws applied to the bike.....it's such bullshit and this is a major setback----I need phone calls to the Attorney General's office complaining of stating that it was alright all this time and why hold me accountable for their obvious mistake....I also need some calls to sell out Van Drew b/c he is the key in getting Title 39 changed for the better......Any help any of you guys could give would be greatly appreciated by me and many others-----I'm very disgusted at this point and feel so betrayed especially when I know what these bastards told me last June----NJ Gov Sucks!!!! But here are the numbers if anyone could bitch for me, as this bitch is worn out and disheartened that they still might prosecute me when all along the pricks were telling me differently since June 9, 2011.....lying frigging bastards!!
Again, New Jersey is one of the most fu*ked up states I've ever lived in.....and I've lived in quite a few....the NJ State Government has gotta be the absolute worst!! :evil:

Senator Jeff Van Drew------ SenVanDrew@njleg.org -----609-465-0700 -somebody please call and email this lying bastard---daily!!!!
Jeffrey T. Pistol ---------------call and email this sell out bastard ---- Jeffrey.Pistol@dot.state.nj.us -----609-777-1407
Jeanne Ashmore---aid to Governor Chris Christie ---- 609-292-6000....she's the one who was working with Van Drew in directive from the Gov.
Attorney General's Office---Elaine Schwartz----609-984-6500 or 984-3900 --she's the one who's saying that Title 39 is NOW the defining word
Director of MVC----Robert Martinez --------- raymond.martinez@dot.state.nj.us ---another asshole
Legal MVC---Jeff's boss--under Martinez ----- Steve Robertson--- steve.robertson@dot.state.nj.us
NJ State Police traffic safety---------- NJSPTrafficSafety@gw.njsp.org;
Division of Criminal Justice----- crescenzc@njdcj.org

Again, I appreciate any and all help----oh and Lock----did you ever find that docket number from when you got off??? I could really use that now!!!! :?:

Back