Noisy Electric Motion 5.7

Sammyd173

1 µW
Hello,

I’m borrowing my friend’s 2016 (I think) bike.

It’s noisy and making a knocking noise. I want to check the primary transmission belt. Found a user manual which tells you how to access it but provides zero direction on what to do when you open it up! Anyone know what’s to be done here?

Wondering what else it could be. It’s a low hour bike. Don’t think the motor bearings have gone yet but who knows?

Sam

How long does he say it's been making this noise? Just started before loaning it to you, going on for years, or he's never heard it before?

Difference in the time might indicate different problems, especially if the noise has changed over time.

I have the same bike, but not the same problem ... but you are not the first one, who would experience a premature motor bearing failure. This is more-less budget motor so I guess they used cheap bearings not the top ... see this thread below on AR forum ....

https://advrider.com/f/threads/electric-motion-em-trials-bikes.1142927/page-21

Thank you for the replies. The original owner said the bike has made this knocking noise from day one. I don't hear it on other bikes? Now that I think about it, the bike may have been a demo. It could well be the motor bearing. I was hoping that adjusting the primary drive tension may fix it.

OK, here’s what I would do .... first off, does this knocking noise occur when the bike is on a stand with both wheels off, just twisting throttle. Yes or no? If no ... describe better the noise as to when out when it happens.

If the knocking happens even on a stand, I for sure would have taken the primary off and spin the motor without it, to see whether just free spinning the motor produces the noise.

I cannot see how adjusting a tension should remove a knocking sound, but who knows.

Back