• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Oil Spill Streaming Video

Terry,

You're dancing a very fine line there. You don't want to be perceived as an opportunist like the gaggles of lawyers that I'm sure are already heading to the gulf region. Referring to the ebike way as being better and possibly avoiding problems like the spill is fine, but to me the live feed posted on your own website steps over the line and might turn me off. I understand and agree with your point, and the gulf spill offers an opportunity to convey that point effectively. How to best accomplish that is the big question. If having it gets you up in the search engines for searches like "oil spill live video", then the benefit would obviously outweigh any risk, but pulling that off is going to take some real search engine optimization expertise.

Thanks for the feedback John. You make a valid point and I am aware of the risk of putting people off. I am willing to loose some business in order to inform people about the dirty oil industry and how they can stop supporting it. I know a lot of people are mad as hell but they don't know what to do. I doubt if Dick Cheney will buy an ebike from me. I don't know if showing the video will result in a net gain or loss. I posted it because I feel strongly about the issue and feel it's time to take a stand and let our voices be heard. The whole situation makes me sick to my stomach.

Perhaps I'm among the minority, dunno, but I do know that I'm becoming immune to the BP issue. Not that I don't care, because I certainly do, but because I'd rather not allow it to screw-up my day by endlessly stewing about it. Besides, it wouldn't alter my lifestyle either way. I'm already pulling power from the sun, drive less than 50 miles a month and cycle everywhere. As the oil industry absorbs the stiffer regulations and restrictions, we'll no doubt see them retaliate with much higher fuel costs in the not too distance future. I've been expecting it anyway... just not quite this soon.

kinda wanted to hold out commenting on this
I for one am glad to be doing bussiness with a companys owner that is not afraid of speaking his mind
and not letting possible public opinions sway what he believes so as to not ofend anyone
I think this speaks miles toward his companys ethics
time will tell if its good marketing or not
i will gladly continue to be one of his customers

I see the oil spill as the beginning of the end to gas powered cars and the uprising of all electric vehicles
just at the time when oil consumption is starting to out strip production we get the short cuts that lead to accidents

I'm not convinced that EV will take over ICE. Biofuels vs fuel cells & batteries. likely, Petro-oil will eventually be used for things other than the ICE.
I don't consider Terry an opportunist, but it's harder to get around the charge of "disabling bias."
Blame BP all you want. Subjectively, I blame coarseness and crudeness.

RTLSHIP said:
...I don't consider Terry an opportunist...

I wouldn't either. I went and checked where he put it, which was only a link and the front page, so the video feed, which wasn't working properly btw, is really of little consequence on his site. Personally, I would have brought the issue more directly to the front page, just not with the video. Anyone who wants to already has seen it. I check the one I have bookmarked once a day, just to see the leak status for myself.

I added another page which has all of the cameras - 12 of them. The link is at the bottom of the first oil spill page. Sometimes the feed is interrupted. Again, the purpose is to help the public make the connection between the oil industry and using gas for their car. If I was just being an opportunist, I would have just mentioned the oil spill in a blog (search engines love blogs) like some other companies have. The level of incompetence, corruption, and environmental damage is mind boggling.

The streaming videos now have an option to enlarge a selected feed. See the oil gush out full force (the cap is off now). Watch the worst environmental disaster in the country's history unfold before your eyes. Then think about the gas you are using in your car. Are you supporting the big oil companies like BP? Shouldn't you be using an electric bike?

http://hightekbikes.com/oil-spill-streaming-video.html

Back