Only the poor want ebikes

I am not poor and yet I wanted an ebike, I studied it for a year before taking the plunge. But I'd have to agree with some of the comments in this thread about people wanting to know the price of my ebike, and I have sprinkled in the bit about gas bike being $200 but I mention the noise about gassers. I then go into how I ride silently in parks and pathways and no one knows its an ebike. Gassers cant do what I do :mrgreen: I also mention how I can take my ebike onto the transit train and buses equipped with a bike rack.

I wish I would learned about ebikes back in 2000, rather then Jan of 2014. I am glad I caught the ebike grin :mrgreen:

Poor people can not afford $2k+ from a store bought ebike, so your statement is void in that respect. I'd say $1000 for a DIY ebike kit is not that bad to start off. Say a Yescomusa kit plus some used Makita power tool battery packs on a cheap used BSO.

Apex said:
You know what sucks? When I'm on a gas bike and people ask me how much to build, I can say "about 200 bucks and a cheap donor bike." Which suprised people, and they consider building one. When I'm on the electric I have to say, " about one thousand dollars for anything that is roadworthy". And nobody, nobody is even remotely interested after that statement.

It's weird, people's refusal to put the cost of e-bikes in perspective with the cost of other forms of personal transportation. Just the administrative costs of a car (registration, licensing, inspection, insurance) are more expensive-- not even counting the car's purchase cost, fuel, maintenance, or a place to keep it. Given the lifespan and reliability of the little stinker engines for motorized bikes, those wouldn't take long to tally up more expense than a simple e-bike, should you commit to keeping one running full time.

markz said:
Them "China Girl" gasser motors as that community names them dont last long if used frequently.

The better you treat it, the longer any 2 cycle lasts. But when the China Girl lets go you have a fairly simple conversion to an electric.

Apex said:
You know what sucks? When I'm on a gas bike and people ask me how much to build, I can say "about 200 bucks and a cheap donor bike." Which suprised people, and they consider building one. When I'm on the electric I have to say, " about one thousand dollars for anything that is roadworthy". And nobody, nobody is even remotely interested after that statement.

SOmething to point out to them is that the main cost of the system is the battery, and that is basically like buying all the fuel for the bike all at once when building it (as the electricity cost is negligible to charge it).

Most of the friends I've got with ebikes are way above average income, and ride them because transportation can be a delightful pleasure that leaves you stuck smiling.

^^ :mrgreen:

markz, Chalo, amberwolf;
Oh I try to explain the many clear advantages of an ebike, but most people just can't get past the initial cost.

Apex said:
markz, Chalo, amberwolf;..., but most people just can't get past the initial cost.
If you always do the same, you always get the same in return....
Why not skip the cost issue and focus on benefits?
Benefit to your interlocutor 's needs, not yours.
Takes a bit of inquiring, I know.

Chalo said:
...not even counting the car's purchase cost, fuel, maintenance, or a place to keep it.
...depreciation, that painfully kicks in as soon as you're out on the market for a new ride....

Its funny. When I tell people the true cost of owning a cheap car in australia is about $10-12k a year
, they think I must be some millionaire who has lost touch with reality. When I point out that one of the cheapest cars you can buy new here, is around $20k and if you sell it 3 years later, you'd be lucky to get $10k back for it (in perfect condition, full log books, private sale, etc. Otherwise expect less), they start seeing. That's $3300 a year or about $65 a week un depreciation alone, before rego, insurance or it's even allowed to see a road.

Then you get idiots like my friend, who wanted to trade in an end of lease car even though he was happy with it, because the sales person convinced him that "You should trade it in while it still has some value. If you wait a couple years you couldn't trade it in any more". Sure, get a new car and go back to depreciating $65 a week, instead of keeping this for another 3 years while it depreciates at $20 a week.

If he had said he just wanted the luxury of a new car and could afford it, I would think that's fair. But he was strapped for cash and he was convinced he was doing the financially prudent thing.

Sunder said:
Its funny. When I tell people the true cost of owning a cheap car in australia is about $10-12k a year

This made me curious so I did some math. Here in Texas you can buy a beater that won't immediately fall apart for USD2000. Ignoring the fact that many people with cars like that don't register or insure them, you can register it for under $200 a year and insure it for under $600 / year. That's $2800. Then there's gas, which would be around $1600 for 15,000 miles @ $2.10 / gallon. Yes, we have cheap gas. Then there's maintenance and stuff, but it looks like you can do it for well under [10-12kaud ->USD]. Plus even though you have an old crappy Corolla (or whatever) it has about 20x the utility of a bike for the average person since you can carry a lot of crap + people.

Apex said:
markz, Chalo, amberwolf;
Oh I try to explain the many clear advantages of an ebike, but most people just can't get past the initial cost.
And I understand them, too--if I couldn't build my own from junk other people don't want, or cheap used stuff, and donations of used bits from others, I wouldn't have one either.

But I also wouldn't have a car (wouldn't want one even if I could afford it), and would still just be pedalling around on a regular bicycle, albeit really really slowly and not doing much hauling of anything these days. (I don't think I could bring myself to use a gasser kit; if nothing else I can't handle the noise--I still want my electric to be quieter. :lol: ).

So I'm not the same kind of target audience that you're talking to. :)

FWIW, I have the same problem with people I talk to about ebikes: cost. It doesnt' matter what anything else costs to them--those are costs they already accept as "necessary". Since the ebike would be a toy, and not serious transportation, it's cost must be extremely minimal or they wouldnt' consider it.

Except for a few that already ride bikes as their transportation, and those usually do it because they cant' afford a car, or cant' get a license for some reason. I don't know many people around here that ride a bike everywhere by choice. :/

Its interesting to see many posts from those who completley rely on Ebikes are in Phoenix, Texas, CA etc. Winter is here in the U.K, small roads with too many cars for the space + wind and rain most of the time does not always make for pleasant ebiking on a commute to work. Water always finds a way through waterproof clothing and boots :x

^^ Hehe... Hi Wales (Toronto, Canada here...) Life-long camper, but also a sailor, where "spring sailing conditions" often meant "freezing"/cold water. Add to this the chill factors of "high-speed sailing" where/when air temps were cold enough to freeze spray off the bows of a twin-hulled catamaran sailboat (20' former Olympic-class "Tornado"). So at first was wearing thin neoprene rubber tops and pants, w/neoprene "booties"/shoes, gloves, etc... then "graduated" to wearing thin, zip-on/pullover, one-piece "body bag" suits w/neoprene gaskets to seal openings at ankles, wrists and neck. So one "highlight of the day" was to have a warm shower after a few hours spent "splashing around in the lake"... with water spray having been freezing solid on lifejackets, etc such that other crew could chip the buildup off.

... and more than once as a camper have pitched tents in the snow. :)

You maybe have heard the expression that "it was a three dog night"?

Point is just that campers and sailors at least maybe know how to "dress for the weather" (and to have a warm, dry change of clothes handy). (And "Plan B", to have a warm body to cuddle with.)

:mrgreen:

Are you suggesting that i should be wearing a wetsuit to work? :D Not sure how that would affect what little street cred i have when entering the school gates infront of the kids i teach. :? But they say true rebels walk alone, or in this case ebike alone.

^^ Hehe... Well, for example I DO have a pair of slip-on cover pants that are "water resistant". ;) (Same for a light plastic jacket w/hood.)

To be clear I don't rely on my ebike, I have 1 sports car 1 suv and 1 pickup. Now for a while I did rely on the ebike at night while drinking, but that's another story best left untold. :D

brumbrum said:
Are you suggesting that i should be wearing a wetsuit to work? :D Not sure how that would affect what little street cred i have when entering the school gates infront of the kids i teach.

Probably increase it massively tbh.

Back