Open-source connected e-bike platform

?! What is the aim of your project?! Any navigation app can track your tour, no DIY bike needs a fleet management.....
The only interesting thing would be the torquesensor for controllig the motor power proportional to the rider's effort, but implementing it via an unreliable Bluetooth connection is the worst idea.
:unsure:
regards
stancecoke

Last edited:
the idea to add anti-theft features to e-bikes. for example, you leave your bike somewhere and you still can check where it is while you're shopping. it will work in the same way as bikes like Cowboy or Angell. for a pedal sensor is used not BLE, of course, but lightweight ESP-NOW. it works with zero issues for a long time already.

You presumably can't use the pedal sensor without your custom vesc or can the pedal sensor be used with any vesc? (which I assume is a torque sensor though it doesn't explicitly say, only says "more natural pedal assistance") Also it feels like an entirely unrelated product to the GPS tracking device and maybe should be marketed separately. Unless the GPS tracker will communicate with the VESC somehow? It's not entirely clear.

52V batteries are quite common and I would guess your vesc can handle it. Worth mentioning in the advertising.

How would a gps tracker without LTE and only wifi work? It can track your bike only when it's within range of a known wifi network?? Or is just for tracking your route history at that point? As stancecoke mentioned, at that point there are so many free apps etc. that this option seems to provide no value.

Do you need a subscription service to do the tracking or will you be providing access to your servers for free? There is talk of a subscription for fleets but not for individuals (though you do say fleet size 1, that's slightly confusing). Also no mention of pricing. And then you'll need a sim card for the LTE board which if you ever expand to North America will suck for Canada as our rates suck. (That's not directed at you, just me whining :p)

Now to get super pedantic. Your license is "non commercial" this means your project does not actually meet the requirements to be called Open Source by the official definition as Open Source can't restrict any type of usage. It's considered Source Available instead.

Lastly to be honest making the source available for a device that doesn't really do much without your servers (which seem to be hidden behind a paywall) seems more like a marketing thing than a genuine attempt to further the community. You can change my mind on that by making your server code source available too.

I have strapped motors onto a fair number of "normal" bikes. The issue you are gonna have with any security is well, part of it is that the second you release a bit of security tech into the wild you are on a countdown of minutes until someone finds a way around it. I have played on the edge of that industry for ages and find it hilarious that people keep doing the same thing assuming that everyone before them were idiots. The remainder of the issue is , there is *NO* secure storage space in a bike.. not that will meet your needs. You are gonna have to have something that a) talks out, WiFi I belive is slightly higher power than Cellular systems, but don't hold my toes to the fire on that. The bit of kit will require electricity of it's own independent of the battery on the bike, for obvious reasons. Now you have a 2nd battery that needs maintenance and a charging cylce. so you have to slip the electrons to it. You are looking down a rabbit hole.

I know this is gonna sound wild.. but don't leave shit out where it is gonna get got. Or it will get got. Thieves only have to be lucky once, you have to have luck every time you abandon your property in unsafe conditions. Hell, you have to be lucky when you lock and bolt your doors in your house. People dedicated to theft steal things. Locks keep honest people honest.

If this is something people have to pay for, then it goes in the marketplace.

Please clarify if this is the case, or if the entire project is fully free and open source and fully replicable and usable by anyone from your provided sources without paying you.

Back