OpenSource Remote for VESC ArduBoardControl

I want to build your Remote with LCD ant telemetry.
Can I use your git rep - https://github.com/RollingGecko/ArduBoardControler ?
It works? What app I have to select in BLDC Tool? Only UART?

Can someone please provide a hardware list?

I have 2x Arduino ATmega328, Nrf24l01+pa+lna for the board, nRF24L01+ for remote, a 64x128 OLED, and wii nunchuck.

Anything else required?

Tried demo sketch with serial connections VESC and Arduino Mega - i cannot get it working. Can you explain connections in hardware part?
I`m trying to start using VescUartSample.ino. I get "Failed to get data!".

Thank you.

Hi guys,

Sorry for not documented it still. But now I'm struggling at a really strange bug. First of all I get my new VESC (Thx to the guys from esk8.de) and wanted to make tomorrow my first test run with the ArduBoardControl. But the bug is, that when I lost signal, the values where not set back to 0. That is dangerous. In the code I set all values to neutral when the signal is lost. That works. The package is also correctly packed. But it is still send the old package again and again. Up to now I've now idea where the problem is and try to debug it. So please keep patience. :(

Hi,

That was the most stupid error ever:

I have all Debug-outputs over serial surrounded with an ifdef. By mistake I put the point where I turn the statement, that no data was received to false in such a ifdef. So in debug mode everything was fine. As soon as I turn off the Debug-Outputs, the bug was turned on. :shock: :oops: :roll: Happy searching. I was searching at a complete other corner of the code.

Now I'm able to go tomorrow for a first test run. :D And then I've no further excuses to not document the project.

Andy

Sometimes debugging can be a pain. Still waiting for my VESC, but I think I have all the parts to try this out.

Hi guys,

I'm proud to tell you that the ArduBoardControl now runs stable on my board without any issues. So please go on and try it out. It is great.

The latest Release can be found here: https://github.com/RollingGecko/ArduBoardControler/wiki/Release-list

Now I can start implementing new features: https://github.com/RollingGecko/ArduBoardControler/wiki/Feature-Wishlist-Backlog

Andy

The Vesc talks to me! Let's go to the next step!

file.php

Attachments

• Vesc_talk.jpg
    Vesc_talk.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 1,628
Waiting for my VESC's to arrive still, but I have a pile of parts. Can't wait to start putting it together. Thanks for your hard work!!

Could you give us a wiring diagram for this awesome project? I would like to rebuild this, but have no idea to wich arduino pins i have to connect everything.

Hi,

It is cool that some other join also this project. :)

@Nordle: Please refer to the Wiki: https://github.com/RollingGecko/ArduBoardControler/wiki . There it is described, that the wireing is configured and documented in Config.h. If this does not help please give me more details where the documentation should be improved. Feel free to open an issue in github.

This is how i convert rpm to km:
Code:
const float ratioRpmSpeed = ((DIA_WHEEL * 3.14156) / RATIO_GEAR) * 60 / 1000000; //RPM to Km/h
const float	rationRotDist = ((DIA_WHEEL * 3.14156) / RATIO_GEAR) / 1000000; //RPM to travelled km

calculatedValues.speed = VescMeasuredValues.rpm * ratioRpmSpeed;
	calculatedValues.distanceTravel = VescMeasuredValues.tachometer * rationRotDist;

I couldn't test it yet on the board because I killed a Nano-Board. Waiting for the new ones. But on the try test without load I can travel with 200kmh. O: That is somehow strange. Don't know if it is y bug or because of the missing load.
Will see as soon the new nano board arrives. :)

Will be for surfing next week. Hope to find also the time to clean up a bit the code. All the code for the display is on a separate branch and not yet checked in on github.

Regards

Andreas

This is so cool, I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I can start working on a custom housing for it. Here are some of my personal preferences for the housing:
Thin (Should he able to fit in a pocket)
Compact (Fit in your hand)
Robust (All components except battery are screwed in)

Let me know if you have any other ideas or preferences and I'll get started on it.

Cool that somebody joins the development!

I just finished today my implementation in the nunchuk. But it was a pain in the ass to get it all in there....

OLED
Vibrator
joystick
2 buttons
4 WS2812
nRF24
Arduino Nano
Lipo

ArduBoardControler.jpg

I thought it would be nice to replace the joystick with a wheel and left and right with buttons. What do you think?

@Nordle: I used the WS2812 LED's. Attached at 5V and the bus wire to the defined pin in the config.h.

I worked on the OLED implementation on an separate branch. I hope I will be able to test it this week before I go to holidays. Than I can merge it to Github.

Regards

Andreas

Awesome job man! Yeah I've never been a big fan of the joystick design. I like the wheel like what boosted has. Perhaps the same hall effect based control design could be used with the arduino. I wonder how long the battery would last with that display as well. Perhaps a timeout could be added to the code so it turns off after a few seconds and a button must be pushed to turn it back on.

Hi,

Unfortunately I never tried a boosted out yet. What is important in my point of view to have a defined center position. Hallefect is possible. But a poti is the most simple possible implementation and saves a lot of memory. Never the less I'm at the moment at 21K code which is 68% of the memory of the nano. We should consider to switch to another hardware. I've thought for the feather:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/2772

It is a 32bit system with 256 kB flash which is plenty for further improvements. And it runs with 3.3 V which is much better to use it only with one lipo cell. It has also a build in charging circuit.

When we will go for the configuration of the VESC over that device (I'm sure many people want to) I need to make elementary changes in the protocol stack of the radio communication. So I need to bring the message packaging that is used for the VESC from the RX to the Tx site. That will use also memory.

One further feature I want to have is also an SD card for telemetry recording. So we should have a slot for.

I like somehow the basic design of the nunchuk. Maybe we can adapt it? I've found on Grabcad a basic design of the nunchuk for solidworks. Maybe you can use it as a base?

https://grabcad.com/library/wii-nunchuk

I've seen also some implementation on the Blackberry pointing device on arduino applications. Maybe that could be a nice gadget for menu etc.

For the battery saving I will play around a bit on holidays. I want to make a timed option to bring the complete device in a sleep mode if not used for xx time. That would be good if you forget to switch it of. OLED and radio timeout could also be possible. So first OLED off, than radio and at the end the complete device in a sleep mode.

Regards

Andreas

You are doing fantastic work, Andreas! Don't stop. My personal opinion is it would make more sense not to put all the functionality (remote vesc config, telemetry recording) into the remote. We all have a smartphone in the pocket, you know :) But display with live data on the remote is definitely cool!

RollingGecko said:
@Nordle: I used the WS2812 LED's. Attached at 5V and the bus wire to the defined pin in the config.h.
thx for you fast reply, still confused cause there are 4 leds and only 1 led pin? or i just can't see something:D
and should also work with arduino pro mini?

Back