Outrage: Cop Who Killed Cyclist Not Facing Charges

MitchJi

10 MW
Hi,
http://gas2.org/2014/08/31/outrage-cop-killed-cyclist-facing-charges/
An LA County Sheriff’s Deputy won’t face charges for the death of ex-Napster COO Milton Olin, Jr., who was struck and killed by Deputy Anthony Wood’s patrol car as it drifted into the protected bicycle lane. The distracted Deputy took his eyes off the road in order to answer an email on his laptop, according to reports from CBS Los Angeles and the UK’s Daily Mail.

Despite the aggressively enforced “distracted driving laws” in place in Los Angeles, however, Woods is getting a pass because the letter of those laws states that law enforcement officials are “allowed to use electronic wireless devices while carrying out their duties,” and Deputy Wood was responding to a work-related email.

So, basically, it’s OK for the police to run you down like a squirrel, so long as they’re checking their email or texting someone about police matters.

That's a really slippery slope they're heading down. Now all they have to do is keep passing laws with wording like that to allow whatever else they like, and use this as case-law to enforce further abuse and idiocy.

It also further opens the door for "civilians" to use it as case-law for sticking to the exact letter of the law to protect themselves from their actions.

(not that both those things wasn't already happening; this just makes it easier).

We in the USA are being steamrolled by police unions. Our government is for sale and the police unions are getting a bargain. To be fair, almost nobody is held accountable for controlling the trajectory of their deadly weapons when they hit two-wheelers. I think the reasoning goes like this; "I don't ride bicycles because I've determined that doing so is too dangerous, therefore I have no sympathy for fools who think they have better judgement than I."

An Iowa court of appeals ruled that because motorcycles are hard to see compared to other road users, motorists won't be expected to see them: http://erbelaw.wordpress.com/2014/0...sts-have-no-right-to-expect-cars-to-see-them/

It's anarchy for them, and more and more laws every year and higher taxes for you. Just like that's how it's always been across history, yes?

[youtube]Auf1rehiA-4[/youtube]

I love living where freedom isn't just a 7 letter word in a country that doesn't even have a military, and I'm free to ride ebikes that cops couldn't run over even if they tried. Here they built schools, roads, and hydroelectric dams while just north in Nicaragua they wasted time money and people on civil war, so despite far greater resources Nicaragua is quite undeveloped while CR will be the first carbon neutral country in the world by 2020. :mrgreen:

Isn't anyone questioning the obviously strange questions. I mean look at who was killed, who he was killed by and what caused the accident. This seems kind of fishy to me. How does anyone know for a fact the officer was answering an email? Is there proof or even anyway he can prove it? Did they compare the time of the accident to the dash cam recording of the rider being hit with that of the time-frame in which the email was being opened and read? To me this sounds like someone hired a cop to perform a hit on someone and as part of the deal gave the cop an alibi to use by pointing out a flawed loophole in a regulation.

Cops here in Utah have blown away dozens of people sleeping in their homes, say that it was a drug raid, and that they just got the wrong house.

That's always the story. Wrong house, sorry about that. No repercussion, maybe a suspension at most.

I'm not for inventing conspiracy theories but i wouldn't be surprised if some of these events are basically just assassinations.

MitchJi said:
Hi,
An LA County Sheriff’s Deputy won’t face charges for the death of ex-Napster COO Milton Olin, Jr., who was struck and killed by Deputy Anthony Wood’s patrol car as it drifted into the protected bicycle lane. The distracted Deputy took his eyes off the road in order to answer an email on his laptop, according to reports from CBS Los Angeles and the UK’s Daily Mail.

Despite the aggressively enforced “distracted driving laws” in place in Los Angeles, however, Woods is getting a pass because the letter of those laws states that law enforcement officials are “allowed to use electronic wireless devices while carrying out their duties,” and Deputy Wood was responding to a work-related email.

So, basically, it’s OK for the police to run you down like a squirrel, so long as they’re checking their email or texting someone about police matters.

It's not OK. They just refuse to label it as "criminal". You know a huge wrongful death suit is already being drafted. No amount of money can compensate for loss of the man's life, though, and civil action is not justice.

It's irritating to me the disparity between this outright circumvention of the judicial system compared with the voracity with which prosecutors go after the rest of us for every possible fault, especially when someone is hurt or killed.

Whether or not he is allowed to use the laptop while on the job, that doesn't make it OK to do it irresponsibly. That's endangerment, and if any one else did that, they would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

The LA Sheriffs Department is one of the most corrupt police organizations in California. These are just the guys they managed to prosecute.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-six-deputies-convicted-of-obstruction-20140629-story.html

Hi,

It also further opens the door for "civilians" to use it as case-law for sticking to the exact letter of the law to protect themselves from their actions.

(not that both those things wasn't already happening; this just makes it easier).
You mean like Trayvon Martin?
... while just north in Nicaragua they wasted time money and people on civil war, so despite far greater resources Nicaragua is quite undeveloped while CR will be the first carbon neutral country in the world by 2020.
That was mostly the fault of the U.S.

http://m.foreignaffairs.com/articles/37968/richard-h-ullman/at-war-with-nicaragua
At War with Nicaragua
Richard H. Ullman
Fall 1983
Summary:
The Reagan Administration is at war with Nicaragua. Like other wars the United States has fought since 1945 it is an undeclared war. It is also a small war. No U.S. serviceman has yet fired a shot, but American-made bullets from American-made guns are killing Nicaraguans, and the President of the United States has made the demise of the present Nicaraguan government an all-but-explicit aim of his foreign policy.

Richard H. Ullman, Professor of International Affairs at Princeton University, visited Nicaragua for eight days in August 1983 with fellow members of the Board of Directors of Oxfam America, the private overseas development agency. During 1982-83 he was a Visiting Member of the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton.

Even If you are not normally inclined to do these things, please consider supporting this cause. Take just a couple of minutes to sign this petition. This practice of giving LEO's passes on practically every offense needs to stop. The DA's office needs to know that the public is watching, and holding them accountable for this blatant disregard of justice. This will help cyclists (and e-bikers) in the ongoing battle to garner equal rights both on and off the road.

http://www.change.org/p/l-a-county-sheriff-s-department-district-attorney-prosecute-deputy-andrew-wood-for-texting-while-on-duty-and-causing-the-death-of-attorney-milton-olin-jr

We the people need to start taking back our country by force and blood if necessary; I hope it doesn't come to that, but it's beginning to look like there is no other option. It's gotten completely out of control. Police look at normal citizens as enemy combatants.

We the citizens of the USA (Not you illegal alien frocks who should be fed into a wood chipper for continually breaking our laws and leeching off our systems) have absolutely ZERO say in our government. At one point it was for the people by the people but those days are long gone. The politicians and law enforcement do what ever they want with zero repercussions.

This can not continue, the system is un balanced and everything eventually regresses to the mean.

You're angry. Good. When people get angry, that's when they start to take action. We need to stop being sheople, and stop putting up with this crap. If it goes far enough, we will eventually return to civil war. We need to step up and curb these trends now, before it comes down to that.

neptronix said:
Cops here in Utah have blown away dozens of people sleeping in their homes, say that it was a drug raid, and that they just got the wrong house.

That's always the story. Wrong house, sorry about that. No repercussion, maybe a suspension at most.

That is conveniently called serving a "no knock" warrant. It is basically a swat team busting down your door. I had a friend that was cool as hell to hang with. Then he became a police officer and my God! he changed. The Police academy is like boot camp. It's sole purpose is to break the individual and strip him/her of their individuality and then remake them into something else entirely.

They succeeded with my friend. I got to the point that I couldn't even hold a conversation with him. Instead of simply saying OK, he would say "Roger that". It sounded so ridiculous but when I brought it up, he got offended and never spoke to me again.

As far as "No Knock" warrants are concerned, in the last decade they have increased from about 3500 nationwide to over 85,000. It is insane. But look how the police are militarizing themselves. When all you have is a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail. They are getting all of these nifty toys from the Pentagon and they just have to play with them.

I am a BIG 2nd Amendment proponent. This is why every citizen needs to arm themselves. Not just to keep themselves safe from criminals, but to keep yourself safe from the government. The anti gun lobbyists just don't get it.

I know first hand that the police think in terms of them and us. If you are not a cop, then you are either a perp or a potential perp. Scary sh!t going on in here in the US.

How about a hit and run where the cop drives away

We got to put these cops on a leash

http://m.wesh.com/news/thursday-at-6-opd-cant-find-cop-who-hit-man-on-bicycle/27457208

35 years ago, when I was young, there were problems. But not between the cops and the residents at large. The local sheriffs that patrolled my town were pretty much there to protect and serve. We knew them by name, and unless something was really out of hand, they counseled us and generally did there best to, well, police us. I got caught underage in a local bar once. The sheriffs deputy looked at me cross-eyed and told me to get out.

Times have changed. The beat cop is a thing of the past. When cops say, "He's known to us", that doesn't mean you had coffee with him in the morning at the cafe. It used to be like that, at one time.

At first I didn't quite get what Zombiess was getting at. But now that I've thought about it, yes, a certain amount of our problem is imported. The estimate is that about 1/3 of the incarcerated are illegal aliens. We have our share of home brewed criminals and gangsters, but a lot of these clowns we just let right in the back door, and they went right to business. Point being, these groups became militarized, right here in our cities. No one stopped them. So the cops respond by militarizing themselves. I don't blame them. However, this us (police) against them, them being everyone else, including the people who support the police (you and I) attitude is a huge problem. They contend that they can't tell the good guys from the bad guys anymore. Really? Maybe you should spend a lot more time and money on public outreach instead of training on the field course.

And yes, we should kick all these mofo illegal criminals out, and secure our borders. If it was me, I would build a containment area 100M wide across the border. Full time patrol. If you enter that area, you will be fired upon with full-auto weapons. End of problem. Oh, we don't have the money? What about the children? What about my kids. They are going to have to live in this rapidly degrading country we call the "good old US of A". BS. We give billions away to everyone else, and we can't even shore up our own country. Ridiculous.

I guarantee that if there was a trained volunteer service like the National Guard called Border Guard, you would have no problem staffing those positions. There are thousands and thousands of men and women that are proud of our country who would step up to protect it.

I am fully supportive of our legal immigration process. Most of our ancestors are immigrants. The best and the brightest still want to bring their talent here. Just knock first, for your own safety use the front door only, and leave your low-life half-brother gangster at home.

If you look at the statistics, the worlds largest gang of murdering criminals is the US military.

The next runner up is the police.

We pay for the citizen harassment patrol to protect and serve themselves.

All empires grow until they rot internally and collapse on themselves from there own corruption.

This is an inevitable and unstoppable reality.

liveforphysics" All empires grow until they rot internally and collapse on themselves from there own corruption. This is an inevitable and unstoppable reality.[/quote said:
It's so sad to we how far this country has gone down the shitter since sept 11th.

I'm only 37 but I've seen this country change fore the worse in the last 15yrs (I hope that term covers enough dems and repubs in control to show they are both a vector of our countries issues).

Want to talk about crazy, imagine being put in prison or jail because that person had a small amount of cannabis on them. Its mind blowing how we incarcerate people and have zero sense enough to look inward for the root cause of issues and address them properly. Amazingly some states have stopped this practise but out federal govt is not representative of the states and the people. It has way too much power. Local govt appears to be quite a bit better but has its corruption problems due to all levels of govt pandering to business.

I have so much thought into the different levels of govt and it appears it is a negative gain.

1/USA = USA is just a fraction of what is use to be and the slope is negative.

At one point in my life I really wanted to be a peace officer. I'm glad I chose not to after speaking with several officers I knew personally.

Never consent to a search by the police under any circumstance. I never have, haven't had any issues refusing myself, but I believe looks play a very large role in that.

I just caught this from a post this morning. Do you really think these kinds of people are hear to protect you, no, they are thugs who see you as the enemy even when you are polite to them.

If you are in the USA learn your rights granted by the constitution and exercise them appropriately. They were created to protect you.

[youtube]CZh9xumD1cQ[/youtube]

Do you believe a man has a right to ride his bicycle and not be murdered by a 2 ton steel cage?

Why do you think if they can take your right to life with impunity that they care about any other illusions of rights?

Laws are for citizens to mindlessly obey. If you have a uniform, you need not concern yourself with such things, because the system is rigged in your favor.

It's like the LAPD complaints dept. Cop shoots your wife or runs over your husband or whatever, file a complaint with the LAPD legal dept if you wish to waste even more of your time and resources for the outcome of being laughed at, threatened, beaten, or even murdered in some comically tragic manhunt.

Be at peace with it though, they draw the noose ever more tightly around there own necks with the tragedies each new day brings.

There is a re-balancing that occurs when the self-tied noose grows tight enough, and I pity all involved when it inevitably occurs.

zombiess said:
Never consent to a search by the police under any circumstance. I never have, haven't had any issues refusing myself, but I believe looks play a very large role in that.

I just caught this from a post this morning. Do you really think these kinds of people are hear to protect you, no, they are thugs who see you as the enemy even when you are polite to them.

If you are in the USA learn your rights granted by the constitution and exercise them appropriately. They were created to protect you.

[youtube]CZh9xumD1cQ[/youtube]
"Why don't you help us?" = We could care less about you as an individual, protecting your individual rights, or about the Constitution we swore an oath to. We're on a quest to exert an unusual amount of force on a suspected lawbreaker and your rights are impeding our adrenaline rush.

"turn that (camera) off because I don't know what it is" (I'm making a ridiculous assertion that it might be a gun so that I can claim to be in fear of my life which will give me license to kill you).

"You want to play games? I'm going to drag you out." (where I can have more latitude to intimidate you and violate your rights)

"Then why don't you help us and step out…" (where I can have more latitude to intimidate you and violate your rights)

"How do I know you aren't friends with him?, you could be harboring a fugitive, etc. Show us your ID" (I believe you are guilty until proven innocent and I'm willing to carry through with that belief using my sidearm) Note: the suspect was just that and not a fugitive. A fugitive would have been convicted and have a warrant out.

Because there are so many renegade LEOs that will try to trick you by falsely asserting authority to get you to do what's best for their sloppy unprofessional methods, all police get broad-brushed as untrustworthy. The tipping point is where any "good" LEO would rather quit and the potentially "good" LEOs never pursue the vocation. We are then left with organizations full of those that used to be the 'scary wannabes that didn't make it'.

Back