• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Painting my bike's rims.

Iron Yeti

100 W
I got it down that I need to tape up the stainless steel spokes (I think they are stainless, the magnet didn't stick to em) and the axle (Or in this case my geared hub) And prime the rim, then paint it a few coats.

Questions: The center of the rim is already black. I can just tape that up and tape the sides, right?

I sand the part I want to paint first, then prime it, then sand it again and paint it a few coats?

I'd like to paint my spokes as well, but I am fairly sure they are stainless, I need to wait until the rim is dried, then tape that and paint those seperately in the same process, right?

What do I use for the aluminum primer, what do I use for the steel primer, what grit sandpaper, and what type of paint for the aluminum/steel?

Thanks dudes.

Im gonna sand my rim with some 320 grit wet, then rattle can the 99 cent bbq black on. If I had a complete wheel, I'd sand it, clean it, then jam some index cards between the tire and rim all the way around then spray the whole damn thing. :p Cards worked pretty well for my car wheels..

vanilla ice said:
Im gonna sand my rim with some 320 grit wet, then rattle can the 99 cent bbq black on. If I had a complete wheel, I'd sand it, clean it, then jam some index cards between the tire and rim all the way around then spray the whole damn thing. :p Cards worked pretty well for my car wheels..

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention I want mine to last more than a week. :wink:

Get it done properly.

You can hand sand or get it sand blasted with an xtra fine grit. Then get it powder coated. If you choose a colour that they have/use/is already loaded/are doing a run with, it will cost SFA.

You will definately need to sand the rims and use etch primer, what ever way you do it though they will chip. Clear over base or 2 Pac would be the most durable paint but also VERY expensive, I would take the advice offered above if you want them to last ie. get them powder coated, downside you WILL need to disassemble the wheel.

Duplicolor wheel paint or PJ1 epoxy based paint is what I would use if you're low budget diy. Those are 5 to 10 bux a can and stronger than the HD cheapo stuff. But even the 99 cent stuff will last years, not weeks, if you prep and apply properly. My scooter bodywork can testify to that. My wheel have proven out the PJ and Dupli, wheels have a tougher life than bodywork.

The enamel and epoxy based sprays finish pretty damn hard. What works for car rimz should work for bike rims, just mask off the spokes. I wouldn't try painting spokes unless you disassemble the wheel. They touch each other and move a little so the paint may crack where they meet.

Car write ups with pics here-
http://www.google.com/search?q=wheel+duplicolor+painting+index+cards

Back