Phaser g-boxx style middrive

crossbreak said:
One could also just use a normal front derailleur. Keeps the possibility to use an enclosed chain to the wheel and is even simpler to build.
That was my first thought. Both seem doable. A lot less work than a phaser type mech.

The big advantage with the Phaser is that it allows a large range in few steps. A bit like having a front and rear derailleur in one.

A large ratio between the pedals and jackshaft would allow all the gears to be underdrive. This way one could get away with a single stage from motor to jackshaft, without needing too large a motor.

4.5:1 from cranks to wheel should be possible. 1:5 would be better. That would also be the least reduction from cranks to jackshaft. Seems like one would have to use the #25 chain then and a 2000mm dia pedal sprocket (cause of the little tensile strength of the #25). which is not as compact as I would like.

If you wanted 2 stages to the motor, you could use the left side of the crank axle for the intermediary stage. Pedal & Motor inputs would come from either end of the crank axle to either end of the jackshaft.

If you wanted 2 stages to the motor, you could use the left side of the crank axle for the intermediary stage.

good point. having the freewheel on the cranks it would mean that the pedal chain is always hauled :? I would rather go for a 13T freewheel on the shaft for simplicity.

As we discussed in the other thread though, the bigger the ratio from cranks to jackshaft, the greater the resistance felt in the freewheel isolating the motor when pedalling without it.

Back