• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Portable Drive for Tricycle

myway_1

1 µW
Hello,

I need a portable drive. My budget is $350. I would need to be able to remove it and carry it with me while doing shopping. I live in an area that is completely flat. I weigh 165 pounds. The maximum weight of any cargo would be 40 pounds. I would like to be able to go 15 mph. I would need a range of at least 15 miles.

I have searched the web and this forum and have not found anything that I can afford or that I am capable of building with my low level of expertise and basic tools. Are there any suitable kits or parts lists with detailed instructions?

Edit: I could use a trailer with a bicycle. Upon reaching destination, load the drive in the trailer and use the trailer as a shopping cart by attaching a handle. So I could use either front or rear drive.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe

Why remove the drive? they will just take the whole trike anyway.

Nothing out there as cheap as you need it, including a battery.

Double your budget, add another $100, and then add another ~$200 for shipping you could get a Rubbee. Otherwise, you're out of luck. The Rubbee is the only portable system. I find their claims highly optimistic on range, but possible. They aren't sold in any part of the world where people say Miles instead of Kilometers, so you'd have to have one imported, and they run ~$800 USD.

dogman dan said:
Why remove the drive? they will just take the whole trike anyway.

Nothing out there as cheap as you need it, including a battery.

I will be using an inexpensive trike. If it is stolen, I'll have cut my loss in half by removing the drive.

I edited my original post. I could use a trailer with a bicycle. Upon reaching destination, load the drive in the trailer and use the trailer as a shopping cart by attaching a handle. So I could use either front or rear drive.

Why not a hub motor with a quick release. You can then carry the wheel around with you and no one will wide off with a 2 wheeled trike. Your budget is quite low though. Unless you use a cheap lead acid battery.

Still no easily removable drive I know of that cheap. You can get a hub motor kit as low as $200-250 usually on amazon or whatever. Then by scrounging used lead batteries, possibly get battery and charger for a 5 mile round trip as low as $150.

But you want 15 miles,, that means at least $300 for a cheapo 36v 15 ah lithium battery and charger. Bottom line, the budget is $500 at least. Easy to carry the battery in a knapsack or bag in the basket, and take that in with you. The battery is the thing to not lose.

Talk to store manager about possibly bringing the trike at least into the entry area of the store. Shop fast, Shop at 6 am to 10 am, when most tweakers are still sleeping off the meth.

Unplug the big motor wires when you park, and plug in a jumper than shorts two phase wires. Then it will be incredibly hard to pedal it. They won't know about this trick unless the f er is watching you park. Unplug is important, short it plugged in, you zorch your controller.

Multiple locks, slow em down while you shop fast. Wheel lock installed on frame for front wheel, cable through the back wheels. Too heavy to pick up and carry far.

All this stuff easier than removing the whole damn motor system and carrying it inside.

Back