Prodeco Phantom X first 40 miles

Has anyone got their 2012 model yet ? For the price, they appear to be good value. I just hope that there are some mods to upgrade the battery or motor or controller to do more than what it can do right now. Being a public company I think they are on purpose limiting the official speed at 20 mph, but I would like to see what options could be had to extend the range, and may be explore the limits of the motor/controller.

Does anyone know what controller and motor they're using? Is the controller easily upgradable?

They are finishing the backlog of 2011 Phantoms, before shipping the 2012 models. Mine is around #45, so if #32 was delivered then I have hope that I'll get this before the new year.

I was actually hoping to get the new battery design vrs. the 19 inch old style. I'll report and post pics after I get the bike.

I am pretty sure all the backordered bikes do have the longer battery (but an improved rack)but the advantage is the pricing is at the original $1099. where as the 2012 will have the shorter battery and a few other improvements but higher price. (though still priced low compared to similar electric bikes on the market)I am a Prodeco dealer in Santa Barbara Ca and will be getting a few of the backordered 2011 Phantom X on Friday. Believe none of the 2012,s will be released till later this month Will let you know the battery size when they arrive

Wow I ordered my Bike in April and received it mid June, I was upset at that time frame. After reading these posts I feel pretty fortunate.

Can someone explain the difference and advantages to the new battery upgrade 12ah - vs 9 ah??
Thanks

The difference is the size of the battery, or storage capacity.

Ah = Amp Hours This is an simplified example: if the bike goes 15 miles per charge on the 9 Ah battery, then it would go 20 miles per charge on the 12 Ah battery.

I received the Phantom X in November but unfortunately where the handle at the back is screwed to the long plastic casing that held the battery arrived broken. So with a loose handle it was not easy to pull and slide off the battery after putting it on the support.
Although the bike would operate on electric power the battery had to be returned to Prodeco for replacement.
When they return the battery, I plan to wax the aluminium support to make it easier to remove.
Otherwise, I really enjoy the bike.

to mr.levy,looks like you cannot control your dealers,they take all the order they can get ,wait a few weeks ,charge the card,turn on the ( any day answering machine, )cash thee card use the money for daily bills as you said if they sent you the money you would process bike in 6-10 days.so i think you should track down who is the lier.your letter shifts the blame to the dealer-the dealer shifts the blame to you. in the end after you stop pointing fingers at each other the customer gets nothing and the market needs another assembly plant in the u.s.a. call the co b-s-p.which means buy parts,sell pocket moneyed

I'm a newbie to forum and e bikes. Just ordered 2 prodeco stride bikes. Am enjoying reading your comments on the prodeco you folks are riding and don't want to highjack this thread but does anyone have a suggestion for a good hitch rack? I'm looking at the Saris cycle on pro but at $400 that seems pretty steep?

I just received my Phanton X on Wednesday, February 03, 2012. It is replacing a Montague folding Military mountain bike with a 250w DIY front 24v motor and Lithium battery which I've used faithfully for four years. First off, even though I placed my order in early November, and I've complained ever since, it was well worth the wait. It is not only a beautiful bike to look at, but the attention to detail and quality of components it truly amazing.

It arrived ready to ride, right out of the box. Only minor brake and seatpost tweaks and I was ready to go. On Saturday I took it for a 15 mile loop through Willowdale State Forest and Bradley Palmer State Park in Ipswich Massachusetts and it exceeded my expectations. On Sunday I did another 15 miles. Both treks were on double and singletrack trails in the woods, and when I finished I still had plenty of juice remaining in the battery. The 500w rear motor has plenty of torgue especially if you use it only as assist mode on demand.

They only changes I plan to make it to put on some dedicated kevlar knobby dirt tires. The stocks tires are more road than of road tires. Very pleased with everything else. Great product. Couldn't be more pleased.

Bob Stevens

"I just received my Phanton X on Wednesday"

Which model year? 2011 or 2012?

How many ah's is your battery rated for?

It's technically a 2011.5 with the older 38.4V 12Ah larger LiFEPO4 battery. Prodeco will upgrade to the X2 battery sometime in April when I will swap out, making it a 2012 X2.

Sounds like you did alright.

Do you mind advising your height, & whether you feel comfortable on the bike while riding. I hear it is a very tall bike, but it's hard to know if that is a real concern without knowing the height of the rider.

I ride a 20 mile loop around a saltwater marsh on some modest hills, so I'd be interested if you do longer distances than 15 miles with the 12 ah battery.

I ride in Massachusetts also. About once a month. We have a weekend camp in the Berkshires. The hills are a lot steeper there, but it would be nice to get more than a few miles out of the 12 ah battery nonetheless.

How difficult is it to pedal the bike without any battery augmentation? Just in case the battery runs out of juice before you reach your destination.

Regards.
td

I'm 5'8" weight 195 lbs. The bike is big, but not too big. It's also heavy, but not to heavy, weighting about 55 lbs. I also ride a 26" (19" frame) folding Montague Paratrooper MTB with a 250w DIY front wheel motor. It's not as big as the Phantom, but big enough. I haven't had any problems transitioning from the Montague to the Phantom. I've done four 15 mile weekend loops through Willowdale State forest and Bradley Palmer State Park in Ipswich. At least 50% on tortuous single track trails, the remainder on double track. I've had no problem pedaling in low gear on flat and gradually rising terrain. I try not to use the power assist when not needed. I haven't fully depleted the battery on any of the variable thumb throttle has three LED lights, green on top, yellow in middle, and red at bottom. At full charge and resting, all three LEDs are lighted. When the green light completely shuts off while resting, you're down to about 50%, so time to turn around and return home to recharge.

I did replace the stock road tires for some Kevlar knobby off road tires. Makes a huge difference in the mud.

Bob

:shock: NICE!!! I'm happy for you guys. So do you think with not depleting the battery proper maintenance and care the bike will hold up for years. I still don't understand how the cells in the battery stay level ? I've seen nothing on the website about a BMS I even called Prodeco they seemed to not know what it was then said it did not need one because the battery has a cut off. It's was the big reason I've been looking at other options. I mean how can this battery last years without a BMS? How could one store the bike over winter without disconnecting the BMS wire if not it would drain the battery in no time. I want to buy one but I'm so lost.

Frog,

This is my second ebike. My first was a DIY Montague Paratropper. I installed a 250w 24v Lithium front hub motor called a "Hillropper" manufactured by a U.S. company named CleanRepublic.com. I have it for three years. Their battery recharge capacity is about 500 full charges. I'm on my second battery. That kit cost me $700 plus a second battery ($500.) I love the thing and have many miles on it.

But when I came across the Phantom X2 for $1299, an entire bike with latest battery technolody LiFEPO4, with a battery recharge capacity of 2,000 charges, a 500w 36v rear hub motor, awesome front and rear disk brakes, and a full bumper to bumper warranty of 2 years, and U.S. assembled, it was a no brainer for me.

Bob

I took my new Phantom X it out yesterday (Monday) with the new Kevlar knobbies and did 9.5miles of tortuous singletrack trails through Willowdale State forest and it performed very well. The combination of peddling in low and the 500w assist on demand rear motor took me over and through 99% of the terrain. I only had to dismount on a couple of occasions..............the thing's a beast ! Also hooked up a trailer hitch and Sportrack two bike system. Took my son and my older Montague paratrooper with 250w Hilltopper front wheel motor along and it was terrific. I won the 9.5 mile singletrack race on my Phantom X.
about a minute ago · Like

I hope they know you are electric when you won the singletrack!

thanks for the review. What kind of kevlar knobbies did you get? Is the ride on paved as soft as stock tires?

thanks!

Just did another 12 miles off road loop through Bradley Palmer State Park, Appleton Grassfields, and Pingree reservation, all in S. Hamilton, MA. The Phantom X performed flawlessly. Did another ten yesterday, all on singletrack. Only had to dismount two or three times, fallen trees, big rocks, etc. I'm still peddling hard in first but the duration of my rides has increased tremendously. I can really cover some serious territory. I never want to just push the accelerator without peddling. I still desire the cardiovascular workout, it's just much more enjoyable. Great bike.

Bob

We should probably open up a "My Prodeco Phantom X just stopped running" column too ---
I'm just going to go out on a limb and say these bikes will not last.

Disclaimer: Owned and sold two prodeco bikes (both stopped running), have not owned the Phantom X.

Don't hate. just an opinion.

kaysellters, can you tell us what model you had?
Owned and sold two prodeco bikes (both stopped running)

kayselters,

Was it the motor, controller, or battery that was the problem ? When the problem was first noticed was the bike within its two year warranty period, and if so, did the company stand by you ?

I'd appreciate the your answer since I've only been riding for about three weeks.

Thanks

Robert

Back