Programming the Bafang Middrive BBS01+BBS02

Thanks to Aushiker in this post: I've found this on DX.com

http://www.dx.com/p/maitech-8-copper-core-waterproof-connector-terminal-head-black-304891#.U2x7XKK0Mso

This looks like a good candidate for replacing the display connector, for easy programming. They don't offer a 6-core version on DX.com

sku_304891_2.jpg

sku_304891_3.jpg

sku_304891_1.jpg

ErikDK said:
This looks like a good candidate for replacing the display connector, for easy programming. They don't offer a 6-core version on DX.com

Altronic might have something suitable ... http://www.altronics.com.au/connectors/circular-din-connectors/?pz=64

Andrew

Aushiker said:
ErikDK said:

Altronic might have something suitable ... http://www.altronics.com.au/connectors/circular-din-connectors/?pz=64

Andrew

http://www.altronics.com.au/search/all/?sr=6+Pin+2A

Male plug AUS $11.50, female plug AUS $14.95

Overall length of each gender plug 41.5mm nut spanner size 17mm (The Maitech's are about the same size)

Some may prefer soldering directly on the pins in the LTW plug, others may prefer connecting to the the 15cm long pigtail of the Maitech plugs

P9346.jpg

P9356.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M14-6-IP67-IP68-6-Pins-Waterproof-Connector-Cable-Plug-Socket-Connect-Butt-Type-/191024413405?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item2c79f13add

$_12.JPG

Price: £4.97 +£1 shipping from Hong Kong

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/pair-Underwater-Waterproof-led-light-Power-Supply-Connector-6-PIN-12v-110v-250v-/280909358435?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item416780a563

$(KGrHqJ,!lIFGo-DbjcCBRyUU!PnE!~~60_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-4-LED-Light-Strips-6-Pin-Male-Female-Plug-Waterproof-Connector-Cable-/191010119536?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item2c79171f70
$_12.JPG

I have continued to experiment with what settings suit me best and have settled on the following for now.

Basic Page:
Setting the current limits at 5% increments for the first 4 assist levels gives me good control of low level assist. Then making the % difference wider at the higher levels of assist I can set stonger levels of PAS for high speed commuting without the need to use the throttle.

BBS_basic.png

Pedal Assist page:
Start current has been lifted to help make the PAS a little more responsive on startup.
The big one is Keep Current(%) Setting this to 100% makes the PAS follow the % current on the basic page. This means 100% current setting on the Basic setting page will give you 100% throttle on PAS.

BBS_PA.PNG

Throttle Handle page:
I have set the Designated assist to 7 because I use a button throttle that gives me full throttle when pushed. By setting it to 7, I get about 800W when the throttle is activated. If I had a normal throttle, I would probably set this to 9.

I have set the start current to 5% to soften up the start with the button throttle. If I was using a normal throttle, I would keep this at about 20%

These settings feel very nice for my setup. I might go back to the standard throttle now I have control over the software. I would then set % Speed in the basic page to 1% in Assist 0 to make this a throttle only assist profile.

Has anyone experimented with different throttle settings especially the Mode setting? I would be interested to hear how the throttle reacts in "current" mode

I'd be interested to know how much the economy is effected with the Keep Current at 100% or do you find you run with a lower over assist because it doesn't back off.
Try bumping up the Slow Start Model if your looking for a faster PAS start up ramp.

My economy in my own destiny now as I know how much power each assist level is going to give me. The power steps are very uniform and predictable with this setup. Interestingly, 130W is the very lowest assist level I can set. I did have "0" assist at 5% current but it made no difference compared to "0" at 10% current

So the assist Wattages are as follows with this setup (750W BBS02).
Assist 0>>>>>10>>>>>130W
Assist 1>>>>>15>>>>>160W
Assist 2>>>>>20>>>>>200W
Assist 3>>>>>25>>>>>250W
Assist 4>>>>>30>>>>>300W
Assist 5>>>>>40>>>>>400W
Assist 6>>>>>55>>>>>550W
Assist 7>>>>>70>>>>>700W
Assist 8>>>>>85>>>>>850W
Assist 9>>>>100>>>>>1000W

Personally I am not a fan of having a control strategy that reduces current with increased cadence. I can see the thinking behind it for providing improved economy though. It also gives you a bit of a boost getting up to speed and backs the power off once you are up to speed. Without having a torque sensor, its probably the best way you can simulate the torque effect through the pedaling range.

For me though,if I am pedaling at a higher cadence, its to increase my road speed. Subsequently it becomes counter productive to then reduce the assist when in reality, this is the time I actually need the assist to give me the best chance of sustaining this increased speed.

Try bumping up the Slow Start Model if your looking for a faster PAS start up ramp.

Been up and down the range of settings here already. I might do a bit more experiment here but so far I have found keeping Slow-Start mode in its mid range keeps the starting transition nice and smooth with the increase in starting current giving it a nice subtle boost on startup.

Kepler said:
Personally I am not a fan of having a control strategy that reduces current with increased cadence. I can see the thinking behind it for providing improved economy though. It also gives you a bit of a boost getting up to speed and backs the power off once you are up to speed. Without having a torque sensor, its probably the best way you can simulate the torque effect through the pedaling range.

For me though,if I am pedalling at a higher cadence, its to increase my road speed. Subsequently it becomes counter productive to then reduce the assist when in reality, this is the time I actually need the assist to give me the best chance of sustaining this increased speed.

I can see your point and in fact it may actually less economical as you using high amps to get good acceleration which will use more power than a steady acceleration. I can see this working much more effectively on a hub drive with a fixed gear however with a mid drive you are doing this manually through your own selection of gears. Going to set mine up like this and give it a go.

(recovered) :)

Turn on the display. Next press the + and - button down together until it enters the"Setting Mode"

For the "Advanced setting mode", Turn on the display. Next press the + and - button down together until it enters the"Setting Mode". Without releasing the + and - buttons, now push the on/off button 8 times in a row. You are now in "advanced setting mode".

Got it, perfect translation. I'm in as I type. Before setting correctly it would run a 24 kph at default 700 wheel size using throttle and then intermittently lag and then after a few seconds pick up speed again and then lag. Seemed to do the same on default pedal assist at level 3. Constant pick up and drop off speed.

Kepler said:
Sorry, I didn't see that anyone was logged in :oops:

23:24 here no more ride tests tonight.

My motor comes up to speed and then I feel a cut off and 2-4 KPH drop followed by a pick up of speed a few moments later. A programming problem? Or just in the available settings?

Thanks,

Tom

FedEx has unit two in route!

tomjasz said:
My motor comes up to speed and then I feel a cut off and 2-4 KPH drop followed by a pick up of speed a few moments later. A programming problem? Or just in the available settings?

Thanks,

Tom

Is this on a stand or you on the bike? What speed does it cut off? Happen in all modes? Happens in PAS, throttle or both? What battery voltage?

amigafan2003 said:
tomjasz said:

Is this on a stand or you on the bike? What speed does it cut off? Happen in all modes? Happens in PAS, throttle or both? What battery voltage?

Solved by settings in C961. Perfect! 20MPH sustained no lag! WOOHOO!! I'm glad I settled on the BBS01.

Somebodystopme!! said:
teslanv said:
Somebodystopme!! said:
Although my motor states 48v 750W 25A it is actually set from the factory at 20 amps. They must have a heating problem and revised this setting.
Can you reset the Amps max to 25A? Or higher? I am not surprised they derated the controller, actually.
When I get it on the stand tomorrow to readjust I'll check the max amps.
Good question

FYI... when trying to set the amperage to anything higher than 20amp I get the error "Amperage is out of range". The max amperage is 20 amps.

At least with this firmware... :)

Kepler said:
Personally I am not a fan of having a control strategy that reduces current with increased cadence.
Interesting to read your investigation of the controller settings. Without having tried it. I read the meaning of the "Work Mode" setting differently.

The interface shows it as (Angular Speed of pedal/wheel*10) which means assist goes up with increasing cadence and down with increasing speed.

Kepler said:
For me though,if I am pedaling at a higher cadence, its to increase my road speed.
The interface description implies that if you change down at any speed, you increase cadence and get more assist which is the behaviour you would prefer.

What are the options for monitoring battery and power usage? If the BBS01 is set at highest speed and wide open throttle how is the system protected from over heating?

Seem to have the settings where they are good. Pass is set to 100% speed limited in all levels and throttle is 100% when Pass is set to 0. Quite happy with these settings.
Screenshot 2014-05-11 20.25.56 (Small).jpg

Ken Taylor said:
Kepler said:
Personally I am not a fan of having a control strategy that reduces current with increased cadence.
Interesting to read your investigation of the controller settings. Without having tried it. I read the meaning of the "Work Mode" setting differently.

The interface shows it as (Angular Speed of pedal/wheel*10) which means assist goes up with increasing cadence and down with increasing speed.

Kepler said:
For me though,if I am pedaling at a higher cadence, its to increase my road speed.
The interface description implies that if you change down at any speed, you increase cadence and get more assist which is the behaviour you would prefer.

Actually "work mode" settings have very little effect on PAS behavior. The action may well operate as described on the setting page however it is very subtle. Its the "keep current %" that has the big impact on PAS behavior.

Kepler said:
So on assist (0), you are getting 100% hand throttle with those settings? Normally you need to have Limit spd% at 1% or greater for the hand throttle to work.

So far, I just took it for a ride and throttle only got me to 31mph with Pass at 0.

I sure wish there was a way we could bypass the Max Speed of the display unit. I feel the motor cutout at 31 MPH (or 50 Kph) so it has some more to give.

tomjasz said:
What are the options for monitoring battery and power usage? If the BBS01 is set at highest speed and wide open throttle how is the system protected from over heating?

I use a Cycle Analyst with a remote shunt when I am testing power outputs but take it off the bike once I have finish testing so as not to clutter up the handle bars.

With your 350W BBS01's,I don't think you will have any overheating problems even if you push it as hard as you can. Its the 750W version that you need to be careful with. In relation to actual protection, I haven't seen evidence of the controller having inbuilt temperature protection. Perhaps I just haven't pushed it hard enough to find out :)

Somebodystopme!! said:
Kepler said:
So on assist (0), you are getting 100% hand throttle with those settings? Normally you need to have Limit spd% at 1% or greater for the hand throttle to work.

So far, I just took it for a ride and throttle only got me to 31mph with Pass at 0.

I sure wish there was a way we could bypass the Max Speed of the display unit. I feel the motor cutout at 31 MPH (or 50 Kph) so it has some more to give.

Mine goes to 50kph on PAS but it unlimited on throttle. I wonder what is different.

Edit: On the Throttle Handle page, change your "speed limited" from "set by display" to "40km/h". That should give you unlimited speed on throttle.

I think you might then need to set Limit spd% to 1% on Assist 0 for the throttle to work.

Thanks Kepler set my Keep Current up to 100% for today's commute and very happy with the results.
Basically I set mine up in nice even 100w steps and it was a much smother ride in with gear changing better as you don't get the ramp of power as you change. I think overall I used just slightly less power but not by much. I ran in for most of the way at 300w and bumped up to 500w for my 3 large hills didn't touch the throttle. Hill climbing is much better as you change through gears with a consistent assist level that doesn't back off where you need it most.
Might slip in a 250w though 300w was a bit much on the way in at full voltage.

Great to hear pj, I am really liking this config too. It sounds like your riding style is similar to mine and like to ride like an unassisted bike, just 10kph faster. It helps if you can fine tune the assist down in the lower assist levels to really find that sweet spot.

Back