Programming the Bafang Middrive BBS01+BBS02

pjgold said:
Yep just like having 20 year old legs again!
I couldn't have said it better. I rode 9 miles. W/O the mid drive I could go a 1/2 mile out and back. That meant my legs were done for the day. This is just what the Dr. ordered. Thanks all for the guidance!

Somebodystopme!! said:
This plug looks promising. I haven't found any data on the exact diameter of the plug but the pin outlooks to be the same.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/mini-xlr-6-pin-female-Audio-Microphone-connector-TA6F-/351058696978?pt=US_Computer_Microphones&hash=item51bcba9b12

6-pin mini xlr connector. The metal shield will most likely need to be removed in order to work. I'll find out when my plug arrives.

Also, cross your fingers, I have my Chinese contact checking on 25 connectors and 25 bafang original programming cables.

If he comes through with the actual cables I'll let everyone know and sell them at cost. Cross your fingers.... :D

Fyi.. Got this connector on Saturday and the outer diameter is 7mm. That can be filed down but the pin size appears to be too large to fit the needle sized pins on the BBS02 interface. Scratch that connector for being plug n play.

Also the slim chance to get a Chinese source for factory programming cables also fell through. It looked like he could've done it if he really wanted to. But I got exasperated in dealing with him through email. (Language and time barrier ect)

Had some time on mine over the weekend. Amazing little drive. Totally silent. Cops should all be using these. They could sneak up on the bad guys with them.

With mine came the 951 display, with 3 preset pas settings. Throttle works in all three but speed and power is limited in the lower two. Pas on the high setting is not a good situation without brake cutoffs. I was able to retro the hydro brake levers with the switches and all works very well. Now I want to program out pas in the high range. Anyone had experience with this one.

Changing the settings (not programing) to the proper wheel size and setting nine PAS levels made a huge difference in how my little 350W runs.

pjgold said:
Had a little bit of luck today, I went to my local Jaycar store to get some jumper leads and found this plug that is almost the same as the green plug on the BBS02. It has a 7mm diameter but with a bit of careful filing it fits. So I now have a programming cable the works perfectly.

No problems with getting connection as detailed above and I was able to change the basic settings, however it looks like the pedal assist and throttle handle setting tabs are not working. I confirmed this by changing some settings and then reading the controller the settings on these 2 tabs do not change.
Like this?
http://www.amazon.com/M14-6-Waterproof-Connector-Socket-Butt-Type/dp/B00HR6I93U

What a useful thread. I am trying to connect up to my 250W controller but still no getting any joy. I started with a USB-serial cable (similar to the ones described here) but could not get it to work on my Windows 8.0 laptop so have switched to a much older Windows XP laptop. The converter cable works (according to device manager) but I get the error connecting message in the Bafang software. I have made sure I have assigned the correct COM port and have experimented setting bit rates, etc as well as restarting.

The older laptop has a RS232 port so I also tried a direct connection. It can connect, but there clearly an error because when it reads from the controller it replaces all values with zeros. What are the com setting that people are using (bit rate, parity, stop bits, etc)? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I will try to get a Windows 7 machine and do more experimenting. Cheers.

Now I got into my controller on my BBS02 750W. I changed the plugs on the wiring harness for some that is easy obtainable on ebay. So now I can fast and easy plug into the controller.

Since I have the C963 display I don't have the ten assist levels the C961 has. So to reprogram level 0-1-2-3 on the LCD I have to change the values for Assist 0, 3, 5, and 9 in the controller.

My controller is set at a maximum of 20A, but according to my ampere-meter the motor actually draws 25A at peak.

I have been thinking that since the Bafang speed sensor is a hall sensor, and so is the speed sensor for my NuVinci 171B. Is it possible to connect the Bafang to the NuVinci hall sensor and change the "SpdMeter Signal" to 6 in the motor controller? (the NuVinci has 6 measuring points whereas Bafang only has one magnet one the wheel)

Attachments

• Controller assist levels for C963.jpg
    Controller assist levels for C963.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 7,003
I think "Work mode" under Pedal Assist is Bafang's answar to a Torque sensor, it appears to be working with a combination of pedal rpm and pedal acceleration/deceleration.

I'm not sure if it is because I have the NuVinci autoshifter, but I can't get a good setting, so I have set it to "Underterminated" and will try the setting for a few days.

/Philip

Attachments

• WorkMode Underterminated.jpg
    WorkMode Underterminated.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 6,795
Arvicola Terrestris said:
I think "Work mode" under Pedal Assist is Bafang's answar to a Torque sensor, it appears to be working with a combination of pedal rpm and pedal acceleration/deceleration.

I'm not sure if it is because I have the NuVinci autoshifter, but I can't get a good setting

How do you like the Nuvinci Autoshifter with the BBS02 otherwise? What kind of efficiency (wh/mile) are you getting at "X"/9 PAS setting?

How do you like the Nuvinci Autoshifter with the BBS02 otherwise? What kind of efficiency (wh/mile) are you getting at "X"/9 PAS setting?

The NuVinci 171B (dev. kit) and BBS02 750W works really good together, my Christiania Cargo Trike weighs 65kg
Without cargo it uses 11Wh/km (or just following the traffic in the city)
and heavy loaded it uses 20Wh/km (or really fast, well for this bike it's 35km/h)
With this big cargo bike, there is a lot to watch out for when riding in the city, so to get rid of shifting gears is priceless.

/Philip

Attachments

• P1040388 800x600.jpg
    P1040388 800x600.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 6,768
amigafan2003 said:
erabbit said:
Hi! Anybody have some magic PAS settings, i dont use handle throttle?

Try "current decay = 6" and "keep current = 100%".

OK, thx. not bad. For me start too soft torque and middle to high torque and end low torque. How i can tune start and end torque more power and middle little bit lower?

Anyone making up programming cables for sale yet?

Gah! Machined down the connector and everything. Fit's perfectly but have not got around to actually connecting it up yet. Thanks for the reminder. As far as I know, no. No one is selling one.

I have two BBS01's. One from EM3ev and one from Lectric Cycles. When It hit the throttle on the LC programed BBS01 there is a few second lag or stall before the motor kicks in. The EM3ev BBS01 has no lag or stall, or if there is it's much less apparent. I've written LeGrand but no response yet but it's only been 24 hours. The PAS on the LeGrand unit seems quicker to respond but I need to play and ride both bikes again to sort out any other differences. LC programs 5 levels and EM3ev programs in 9. Are there any settings in the C961 would make a difference?

tomjasz said:
I have two BBS01's. One from EM3ev and one from Lectric Cycles. When It hit the throttle on the LC programed BBS01 there is a few second lag or stall before the motor kicks in. The EM3ev BBS01 has no lag or stall, or if there is it's much less apparent. I've written LeGrand but no response yet but it's only been 24 hours. The PAS on the LeGrand unit seems quicker to respond but I need to play and ride both bikes again to sort out any other differences. LC programs 5 levels and EM3ev programs in 9. Are there any settings in the C961 would make a difference?

It would be nice to get a screenshot of both units as they are set now. Then you could see what the difference was and fix it on the laggard. Do you have the ability to make your own cable?

All that can be fine tunes in the programming. Once you get your cable connection worked out (or find where to buy one) you should be able to download the programming settings (read to PC) for each unit and then compare to see what the differences are between LC & Em3ev.
I'll try and remember to post my screen shots of the original LC programming from my unit tonight.

Somebodystopme!! said:
tomjasz said:

It would be nice to get a screenshot of both units as they are set now. Then you could see what the difference was and fix it on the laggard. Do you have the ability to make your own cable?
I could with some guidance. I find the directions here somewhat confusing, but I'm learning. I'm just barely 5 weeks into my 2 BBS01's. I'd trade someone a gearsensor derailleur version for a finished cable.

I need some help with the Bafang 750W settings. I figured those programming these things would know the answer to my question. My unit came with 5 pedal assist levels. I find level 2 too strong for much of what I do. I am assuming that if I increase the levels of PAS I will have smaller incriminates between levels. Could someone list the default power levels for 5 PAS and 9 PAS?

skitime said:
I need some help with the Bafang 750W settings. I figured those programming these things would know the answer to my question. My unit came with 5 pedal assist levels. I find level 2 too strong for much of what I do. I am assuming that if I increase the levels of PAS I will have smaller incriminates between levels. Could someone list the default power levels for 5 PAS and 9 PAS?

Do you have a cable or the ability to make one? If so you can make the increments of power whatever you would like.

The speed set at 100% in all levels works well for me and I go up in current % about 12% or so for each mark.

If you don't have a cable you can change your pass settings via your controller to give you 9 settings instead of 5. 9 is the factory setting and should even out your settings to make 2 or 3 more palatable for your needs.

FYI... If anyone lives in the southwestern US needs help with programming their unit PM me. I have a cobbled together cable that works great and programming takes just a few minutes. It actually takes longer to boot my laptop than it does to program the unit.

I travel all over the western US for business and can help if needed.

Somebodystopme!! said:
FYI... If anyone lives in the southwestern US needs help with programming their unit PM me. I have a cobbled together cable that works great and programming takes just a few minutes. It actually takes longer to boot my laptop than it does to program the unit.

I travel all over the western US for business and can help if needed.
See my post above^^

could these one help?
http://www.elektrofahrrad-einfach.de/products/Einzelkomponenten/Zubehoer/ELFEi-Zubehoer/ELFEi-Displayverlaengerung-fuer-Mittelmotor.html

Back