Regenerative Braking for Dual Parallel Battery Packs

SkilljoyJr

1 µW
Every dual battery parallel module (example) I have seen either does not support regen or doesn't declare it doesn't, presumably because these are made with diodes which don't support charge in the opposite direction.
Otherwise I can only foresee using just an adapter which requires both batteries being at the same capacity, which is really bad, and probably impossible for me because I plan on one of the battery packs being used.
I've been eluded to that I could make my own circuit to allow regen for a dual battery parallel module, or maybe easier just have the regen just go into one battery. I don't know if this is actually possible and I have little experience with circuits but if it's possible I'd be willing to try and figure out how.

Is this idea possible or should I not pursue it?

Every dual battery parallel module (example) I have seen either does not support regen or doesn't declare it doesn't, presumably because these are made with diodes which don't support charge in the opposite direction.
Otherwise I can only foresee using just an adapter which requires both batteries being at the same capacity, which is really bad, and probably impossible for me because I plan on one of the battery packs being used.
I've been eluded to that I could make my own circuit to allow regen for a dual battery parallel module, or maybe easier just have the regen just go into one battery. I don't know if this is actually possible and I have little experience with circuits but if it's possible I'd be willing to try and figure out how.

Is this idea possible or should I not pursue it?
If you just parallel them don’t need to have the same capacity, but they need to be at the same voltage at the time you parallel them. The “adapter” you linked should work fine with regen. You’ll need a well thought out and safe charging routine, so that’s a consideration.

Right, so with an adapter, a charger that stops at specified voltage would work. I fear that the already worn, so now smaller aH battery, will regularly receive discharge from the new battery though, but presumably they will eventually start wearing evenly after every charge cycle.

Back