Replace phase wires MAC

Hi Quajochem

Firstly great upgrade.

I'm thinking of doing something similar to my own.

Did you use the JB weld for:
- soldering the joints
- or did you use a normal soldering iron, and then use the JB weld to protect the soldered joints?

I'm not sure if jb weld conducts electricity?

Hi lukepnz!

Thanks, I have had no problems with the motor so far, nothing seems to heat up even at 50A for longer periods, so that's good! (though I'd recommend oil cooling if you go with 50A continu phase current, because I think the stator would heat up to unhealthy levels without knowing, melting the soldering etc..) I go with 30A cont 40-50A peak, so I think I will ben fine without oil.. And we'll see where the summer takes us.. (i'm on 48V so nothing to worry about..)

JB-weld does not conduct electricity, it's said to be an isolator. (And if it did I would be screwed now :lol: )
I used JB-weld to fixate the newly placed halls, then put the PCB back in place, then I soldered every electrical connection, with soldering iron and tin for (standard) hall wiring & mini torch for phase wires to pre heat them. I also made sure the stator wires and the phase wires made a connection and take a route as flat as possible, so they stay well away from the cover. It was not doable to slide some shrink wire over the phases before soldering, because it would heat up and shrink before I had a chance to slide it in place. so I tried to isolate the soldered phase connections with some pieces of shrink wire rapped around a few turns (KYNAR shrink wire higher melting point, stronger and more flexible same as used for the axle wiring),
And then I JB-welded everyhing to secure it and isolate it, I let it cure for a few hours under a lamp, generously sprayed the insides with ACF-50 (electrics anti corrosion spray) before putting it together.
By the way, it's said before, but to get the epoxy off when disassembling before the upgrade, you should heat it with a minitorch to get it soft and easily removed, leaving you with a clean and undamaged PCB surface. The holes in the PCB where the wires stick through, can get damaged when desoldering, so make sure to scrape some of the coating off around the holes and then be sure to use enough tin to bridge possible gaps between the wire and the bare copper on the PCB..
(I didn't look into it, but there are different types of soldering tin on the market, with different melting points, could be worthwile to put some research into that too..)

I used SYKAFLEX to seal the axle bearrings and cover plates. I also used that to seal up the axle-hole where the wires exit aswell as in some parts of the 3:1 shrink wire used around the axle nut. The whole thing is practically sealed all the way up to the controller wires, and that sykalex dries to a rubber like substance, good stuff! (but use gloves and work clothes when applying because you're sure to get messy and it wil not go off your hands nomatter how much you scrub, it's just the stickiest stuff...brrrrrr :p )

I am happy with the way it turned out!

I have to repeat it, though because I ordered an 8T stator & better gears :?
Aswell as a better fit controller, (cell_man EB3 12FET) but thats another tread..

Good luck with upgrading & stuff :)
JB weld is the stuff! The highest temperature rating I could find, and if heated above 100celcius, (upto 350celcius!) it hardens even more..
:)

one note on the JB weld.:..
it dosnt come off and for that reason alone I would not use it in a hub motor myself

I use high temp automotive silicone myself
I can still peel it off ... it seals stuff up ... and it acts nicely as a adhesive

I just would hate to see a hall fail and you would have to deal with that JB weld :(

but other than that good work

I like the gearless hubs myself as they seam to shed heat a little better and at 100 amps peak seem to climb hills like a bat out of hell without the need for aditional cooling year round
mind you I'm pulling 20 amps full out on a flat once I've got up to speed

nebriancent said:
one note on the JB weld.:..
it dosnt come off and for that reason alone I would not use it in a hub motor myself

I use high temp automotive silicone myself
I can still peel it off ... it seals stuff up ... and it acts nicely as a adhesive

I just would hate to see a hall fail and you would have to deal with that JB weld :(

but other than that good work

I like the gearless hubs myself as they seam to shed heat a little better and at 100 amps peak seem to climb hills like a bat out of hell without the need for aditional cooling year round
mind you I'm pulling 20 amps full out on a flat once I've got up to speed

Oops, luckliy I can swap the whole unit..
About that sillicone, does that go well with oil and water? Is it durable?

i use it to seal up transmissions on cars so it better be good or i have 10 years of explaning to customers why their cars faqed up

Mine is now due up for a repair. I've hardly used it. But I have been goofing about with it trying to get it to align with the rear brake caliper and getting the freewheel in a straight line with the front chainring. Net result is shredded insulation. The edges on the exit point from the axle are like razors. It's a joke, it would literally cost nothing to fit a plastic cover or file down the edges with a dremel tool.

Anyways, I have the impact driver. Will I need a gear puller?

Any recommendations for phase wire?

Thank you.

The Mighty Volt said:
Any recommendations for phase wire?
If it'll fit, Grin Tech sells some by the meter with about 12g phases, and I think seven smaller "data" wires (halls, temperature, etc). Not certain but I think it's the same stuff on their Grinfineons, and their GMACs, etc.

I got some to redo my hubs with and it looks good enough; am hoping to test that out in the next couple of weeks when I redo all the stuff on the SB Cruiser trike.

Thank you mate. It's a real PITA. I didn't abuse the motor, just rolled the axle back and forth getting the motor into position and what was my reward? Chewed up wires. I am going to photo the lot and let people know how I got on.

spinningmagnets said:
More MAC pics and specs on the internals...
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=51310

Much obliged. I saw that thread but I must have tricked myself into thinking that you used a gear puller. Am I correct in surmising that there is no need to buy a gear puller? Just pope the side cover off?

I even bought the impact driver like you recommened and I got some clip pliers lined up.

Thank you.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

No need for a gear puller, unless you change the clutch and gears.
The impact comes in real handy if yours has Phillips screws. Push down and twist like your unscrewing them, While you hit it with a hammer. Usually one whack and the screw is loose. You can then take the cover off, take the motor out to work on it, much easier than with the wheel.

Dan

DAND214 said:
No need for a gear puller, unless you change the clutch and gears.
The impact comes in real handy if yours has Phillips screws. Push down and twist like your unscrewing them, While you hit it with a hammer. Usually one whack and the screw is loose. You can then take the cover off, take the motor out to work on it, much easier than with the wheel.

Dan

:bigthumb:

Thank you.

Can anyone tell me the gauge of the phase wires that come in the MAC motor?

Thanks

Bullfrog said:
Can anyone tell me the gauge of the phase wires that come in the MAC motor?

Thanks

It depends on the version/age. Some 14g some had double 14g not sure on the current version. I did replace my old version with 12g thin Teflon coated. It was tight, had to open up the axle hole some.
I'm sure there will be a more recent repair that will comment. You might even from EM3ev.

Dan

Thanks Dan...I'll contact EM3ev and see what I can find.

If I find anything I'll come back and post it.

Anybody else have any data on MAC phase wire gauge for the current production motor?

Hey guys, does anybody know what the correct term is for the fibreglass fire sleeving around the wires in the MAC motor?

Does anybody know what diameter I need to order it in?

I am just getting finally to the end of a very painful job rewiring this motor and I would like to get it right.

I won't be buying one like it again. Next time it will be the Grin MAC with regen.

Thanks.

Back